Home Main Category General Firearms

Range report on Ruger 556 Pea Shooter and Am bolt .22

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Well to start off with I couldn't be happier with the Ruger 556, it fed/fired/ejected everything I stuffed in it. I fired reloads using 52, 55, ,75, 62 and Speer factory GD in 55 and 64 grains.

What I discovered was my eyes ain't near as good as they used to be firing a rifle and iron sights, but I think I did OK.

I tried the military grid targets to get it zeroed, did OK and it was hard to see, so I swapped to a bright easy to see the center bullseye one.

The trigger got better the more I fired it, not real bad at all, but heavy. I think I'll improve when I put the Ruger Elite in or , at least, enjoy shootin it more. No worse than military triggers.

The one malfunction I had was self induced.....I'm not used to using an empty chamber flag and well had a brain fart and when the range went hot again I loaded a mag and let the bolt fly forward on it. Well, it jammed the cartridge in the chamber against the plastic flag....then I dropped the mag and tried to clear it, nope bolt frozen 1/2"before closing. Got the flag out and RO had a rubber mallet to tap the charging handle back and it finally gave. Round fell out.....bullet was pushed down into the brass and some powder spilt out.............my own fault 100%

So first pic is the 556 with the yellow chamber flag.......on bench.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0383_zpsfvqq0f4c.jpg

Here you can see my progression of adjusting the front sight so my POI went UP, I had turned it the wrong way earlier...........anyhow 1# 3 shot group was lower in pic. I'm sure a better shooter could have kept all three holes touching.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0385_zpssqo3siw2.jpg

Next using 55/62/64/75 grain bullets at the small circles......I could hardly see them from 25 yards.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0389_zpsdztfpvdq.jpg

Then I fired the bolt Ruger Am .22 bottom right was NormaUSA, center and bottom left was CCI Std Velocity. All three were 10 shot groups, also @ 25 yards. Again a better shooter could have probably had all the holes touching.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0391_zpscvjlf26m.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks like the beginning of great things!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    A good range day!!! :cool2:

Ready for #2 yet :devil:

He needs a Griffin Armament Alpha can first ... user serviceable so he can even use it on rimfire occasionally :devil:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Are you ready for another AR yet?

Looks like a Great time BC, I bet you are asking yourself why you waiting so long
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    For bench shootin a smaller mag 10 or 20 round would be easier to use with a rest, I think.

I also found out there are other AR peculiarities the way things poke out from them one must take into consideration when using a mechanical rest. Like the rod on mine which will interfere with the hand guard and the tip settles on the Delta nut and little things like that.

Don't tell me they make special (read $$$) rests for ARs??? Sandbags are probably the best.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Don't tell me they make special (read $$$) rests for ARs??? Sandbags are probably the best.
    I just looked that up, yup, a tri-pod like thing.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    Probably should have full auto to use it properly.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Are you ready for another AR yet?

Looks like a Great time BC, I bet you are asking yourself why you waiting so long

I need to get this one and my shootin abilities down real good with IT before I think about another one.

Never Say Never...........is true, I never thought I buy the first one :guns: :guns:
    I'm sure the Ruger Elite trigger I ordered and more "Trigger Time" will improve my shootin with it.

Most reports I have read and seen on Youtube show a good shooter with the right ammo and glass is usually hovering around from 1 to 1 3/4" @ 100 yards, and a couple less with the little carbine.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    So, would you buy some more of that Gold Dot? Looks like a keeper:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    That Speer GD Sps seems to be pretty good ammo. It is bonded so it stays together pretty good and expands/mushrooms in gelatin from the online YouTube tests I saw. I have plenty now for my uses, I think. Sure at those sale prices for the 55 and 64 grainers, can't beat that.

I like that little Ruger 556.