Remington 700 Custom, .375 H&H Mag.

Virginia BoyVirginia Boy MemberPosts: 213 Member
Here are some pics. of my Remington 700 Custom, in .375 H&H Mag.
It was made in 1971 on special order , for previous owner.
Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    That's down right pretty.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,264 Senior Member
    That's a really fantastic specimen, especially that beauifully figured wood.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,943 Senior Member
    Lets go deer huntin'...seriously!!!
    Nice Grab!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    cool! might I suggest, new butt pad? those waffle pads weren't the best new, and that one is 40 years old lol. wouldn't really detract at all from the rifle one bit IMO, but sure would make it more shootable!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    If I was going on a dangerous game hunt I would want a Mauser with that big claw extractor and control feed. Well that's what a lot of us here have said, including me. However, having watched a lot of African big game hunting on television the last couple of years, it's almost a moot point when you've got a guide backing you up with a monstrous double rifle. And sometimes even he has a backup. But another thing, I've been hunting with Remington 700s for over thirty years and before that a push feed Winchester Model 70 and I have never had either one fail on me. Of course there's always Mr. Murphey out there waiting on his opportune moment to throw his wrench into the works. However I have seen and heard of Mausers failing too. Albeit not as often as others but it happens. I really don't think an experienced guide is going to depend on any client as a backup to stop charging pissed off game like a cape buffalo. Besides, what a Remington lacks in the dependable department it makes up for in accuracy. And I don't plan on hanging by a tail upside down and shooting anything, so a push feed is plenty dependable.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    You know Snake, even with DG, I think I would limit that CRF requirement probably just for pachyderms. Buff aren't always that close of an affair anymore, 80-100 yards seems to be about the average shot and like you said, there are commonly back ups for the back ups and really, odds are in a charge you got 1 shot. Elephant and hippo though? Usually conducted in MUCH closer quarters, and both (or 3 or 4 or how ever many) shooters might be required to rack off a few shots post haste. Here, positive, reliable extraction is key.

But, lets also not forget, the 375 H&H is a great everything rifle! With lighter, softer bullets, no reason not to use it for deer. Its a slow heavy bullet, its not going to blow a deer in 2. In fact it'll likely have a whole lot less blood shot meat then ANY 338 or smaller magnum anything, and probably even less then most standard cartridges besides lever action rounds. Basic, plain jane 270gr bullets like a game king or hornady, loaded medium speeds. dead deer, eat up to the hole.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    Maybe the greatest cartridge of all time in a beautiful rifle-- what's not to like!?! Congrats.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,939 Senior Member
    Very, very nice.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.