Reformed Liberal Asks For Gun Help

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
Got a call from a church member (not a friend, just a good church member) who's home was broken into for the second time this year. He and his wife tend to fall on the liberal side of the fence. They were even leaning to to side of questioning if those of us carrying in church should be allowed ... our minister squashed that one quick but that is another matter. Anyway, for some reason I have turned into the unofficial church armorer when people have questions or problems.

It seems this past week the wife came home to find their french doors pried open and house ransacked. Since most of us live in the BFE side of the county sheriff response is not the quickest, I understand distance and the fact there appeared to be no immediate danger or threat, they were not happy with the almost 10 minute response time. Now these two are talking about arming themselves ... never owned or shot a gun but now they want one or two. Mike is talking and says he wants a Glock and pump shotgun and would pay me to help him pick them out.

I take a pause and then comeback with first they need to make their home less of a target by the alarm, lighting, etc. Then I say I'll be happy to help but first they really should take at least a couple basics classes. You would have thought I out and out called him an idiot with the any he came back he was going to buy them now and just needed me to point him to where. Well okay ... I just was trying to help him be safer and not rush into it but ...

Next I tell him if he wants a pump shotgun just go to one of a few LGSs but not big box stores because of cost and he'll just have to fill out a 4473 and pass the NICS check. Next I inform him in NC you must have a Pistol Purchase Permit (aka PPP and in the county he lives in takes at least 10 days OR LONGER to get) or CHP to purchase a handgun. Damn if the first thing out of his mouth was I can buy them over the Internet ... we really need that face palm back!. After 15 minutes of telling him the state and federal firearms laws the light bulb comes on and he actually says "so there is no internet or gunshow loophole" ... duh!

About now he is gotten so far down the list of gun grabber myths by this point he says well what do I need to do? I go right back to the alarm/lighting/etc and classes. He isn't happy but he's going to look into those. Now I hope he is online filling out the online application for PPPs. As to training, well I told him and gave him a few instructors but that is up to he and his wife. It will be interesting to see what he actually does but I am not a FFL or Instructor so after that little advice ... "My name is Bennett and I ain't in it!" ... maybe if he humbles himself and takes a class or three and acknowledges gun control is only for honest people I'd help ...

Am I being to harsh on them or covering my buttocks in case they do something stupid?
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell
«1

Replies

  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    But it's all so easy on TV.

    I can't answer with a generalization for an individual. Good to be safe and legal.

    Them french doors are a major problem. Mine are sealed like a steel weld year round.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Words to remember:

    jack_ass_whisperer.jpg

    If/when the guy climbs down off his high horse, it's OK to help him out. Until then, he deserves to wear the stink of whatever poo pile he steps in!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Got a call from a church member (not a friend, just a good church member) who's home was broken into for the second time this year. He and his wife tend to fall on the liberal side of the fence. They were even leaning to to side of questioning if those of us carrying in church should be allowed ... our minister squashed that one quick but that is another matter. Anyway, for some reason I have turned into the unofficial church armorer when people have questions or problems.

    It seems this past week the wife came home to find their french doors pried open and house ransacked. Since most of us live in the BFE side of the county sheriff response is not the quickest, I understand distance and the fact there appeared to be no immediate danger or threat, they were not happy with the almost 10 minute response time. Now these two are talking about arming themselves ... never owned or shot a gun but now they want one or two. Mike is talking and says he wants a Glock and pump shotgun and would pay me to help him pick them out.

    I take a pause and then comeback with first they need to make their home less of a target by the alarm, lighting, etc. Then I say I'll be happy to help but first they really should take at least a couple basics classes. You would have thought I out and out called him an idiot with the any he came back he was going to buy them now and just needed me to point him to where. Well okay ... I just was trying to help him be safer and not rush into it but ...

    Next I tell him if he wants a pump shotgun just go to one of a few LGSs but not big box stores because of cost and he'll just have to fill out a 4473 and pass the NICS check. Next I inform him in NC you must have a Pistol Purchase Permit (aka PPP and in the county he lives in takes at least 10 days OR LONGER to get) or CHP to purchase a handgun. Damn if the first thing out of his mouth was I can buy them over the Internet ... we really need that face palm back!. After 15 minutes of telling him the state and federal firearms laws the light bulb comes on and he actually says "so there is no internet or gunshow loophole" ... duh!

    About now he is gotten so far down the list of gun grabber myths by this point he says well what do I need to do? I go right back to the alarm/lighting/etc and classes. He isn't happy but he's going to look into those. Now I hope he is online filling out the online application for PPPs. As to training, well I told him and gave him a few instructors but that is up to he and his wife. It will be interesting to see what he actually does but I am not a FFL or Instructor so after that little advice ... "My name is Bennett and I ain't in it!" ... maybe if he humbles himself and takes a class or three and acknowledges gun control is only for honest people I'd help ...

    Am I being to harsh on them or covering my buttocks in case they do something stupid?

    Just be gentle but firm. Remember where he's coming from. You have the opportunity to really convert an anti here. But remember, he's had his head stuffed with Crap from the left. State the facts as you have done and explain that you or anybody like you aren't responsible for all these stupid laws but that if he wants to own and maybe carry a gun he needs to do it right. And he does need a safety course or two. This is another big opportunity, explain that gun people are responsible for making guns safe. It's not the left. they only want you to give them up, but gun people more often than not demand safe gun handling. Anyway, tell him like it is but try to help him. Have a little patience because Like I said, remember where he came from. This is a very big step for him.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Well. . .he gets to wade his own self through all the Sarah Brady crap he probably voted for. This transformation should be fun to watch.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Well. . .he gets to wade his own self through all the Sarah Brady crap he probably voted for. This transformation should be fun to watch.


    This. He'll now understand that you can't just snap your fingers and end up with an AK-47 or a MAC10.

    If he takes this far enough, he'll even end up understanding that you can't just rack the slide and scare intruders away.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,032 Senior Member
    You did good there NCFUBAR, it is better if you let them work through it themselves, keep emphasizing that they don't want the intruders in the house, less bad stuff happens if the bad guys stay outside, less need to use the gun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,019 Senior Member
    Sounds like you done good :up:

    Making sure they 1) stay on the right side of the law during the process & 2) learn enough to be safe once/if they do acquire a firearm(s) is paramount and it sure sounds like you did all you could to ensure both.

    Well done :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,778 Senior Member
    A long time ago, a wise individual told me that "a conservative is a liberal that has been mugged". Your friend is proof of that.

    Keep up the good work. Keep pointing out to him that he has been lied to. Purposely lied to. Mislead by the people he voted for to make him an easier target for the kind of people that break into his house.

    And show him that shooting can be fun. Offer to take them to the range with .22s for a first plinking session.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    Good job. :up:

    I once introduced a highly educated engineer to handguns, (a) because he was my boss and I actually liked him, and (2.) because he was actually a sound, conservative type guy, who just never had a proper introduction to firearms, and believed all of the common fallacies that his single mother believed. He loved it, and actually did everything I said, exactly the way I told him, with regard to safety and proper gripping and follow-through, so he was hitting targets soon with 9mm and .45 ACP.

    He was worn out by the time we shot up about 200 rounds, mostly .22 and single fire with the bigger stuff. I recommended that he get some professional instruction, to satisfy himself that I was telling him right, and he did, and eventually got a Glock 19 and his CHP. I haven't seen him since I retired, but I'm quite sure that he now knows more than I do, and probably shoots it better than I could.

    But, if he had been an obnoxious liberal, I would have done exactly the same as you did, I think...in a helpful way, of course.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Ya know this all reminds me of my future Son in Law that was born and raised and still lives in Boston. He comes by his liberalism naturally because it's all he's ever been exposed to. His dad is a Palestinian Christian but has only bad memories of guns from being raised in that part of the Middle East. He is the chief liberal among his family. His mom is a beautiful Scotch Irish lady from Boston that is surprisingly somewhat conservative but I take it she's the obedient wife that never contradicts.

    Once when we were eating in a very nice Chinese place in Boston (He's been to China and supposes himself to be an authority of their culture because he can say 16 Chinese words), my future SIL started talking about China and saying they had such a great society without crime because they had strict Gun Control. My blood immediately boiled and I told him the reason they had such low crime was that they had NO FREEDOM! I said, "I'll take freedom over low crime any day, especially if I have a means to defend myself (Guns). That shut him up especially since my oldest son in law chimed in with agreement (He's the Redneck Fiddle Playing Texas Country Boy from the big metropolis of Olivia Texas, Pop. 200, that's running for Sheriff here.) I say this because if you get into a discussion with a LIBTARD over guns if you just keep your head and don't lose patience, you can win the argument every time, because their belief is built on BS, not fact.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I guess I should not beat liberals too hard. It is because of an extreme liberal son and daughter of one of my best friends ever that I came to own my Python and the S&W 610 after he passed away.

    Hey we all have issues like that. My two youngests are Libtards, and one of my best friends at my church is so liberal he stinks. But I love that guy like a brother. Crap Happens!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,766 Senior Member
    "Damn if the first thing out of his mouth was I can buy them over the Internet ... we really need that face palm back!. After 15 minutes of telling him the state and federal firearms laws the light bulb comes on and he actually says "so there is no internet or gunshow loophole" ... duh!"

    It's amazing that they are all for gun laws, and want more, except when it restricts them from buying what they want.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    But it's all so easy on TV.

    I can't answer with a generalization for an individual. Good to be safe and legal.

    Them french doors are a major problem. Mine are sealed like a steel weld year round.

    French Doors are mostly glass...not a secure egress by any means. Any handy rock will defeat the locks. Andersen makes a French door that puts a bolt into the header and into the floor when you lift the handles...then a dead bolt lock five point locking system.
  • Captain OCaptain O Banned Posts: 22 New Member
    If you want to convert him, go ahead. Frankly, I'd probably look him square in the eye and tell him, "You made your bed, you can lie in it; you're on your own, pal. Have the Mrs. bake some cookies for their next visit". Too bad, so sad; go call your Dad.

    You're doing the right thing, but actions/beliefs have consequences. Has he sufficiently paid for his Leftist stupidity? Perhaps he has; then again perhaps not.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Captain O wrote: »
    ................ Too bad, so sad; go call your Dad.............

    200.gif

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Captain O wrote: »
    If you want to convert him, go ahead. Frankly, I'd probably look him square in the eye and tell him, "You made your bed, you can lie in it; you're on your own, pal. Have the Mrs. bake some cookies for their next visit". Too bad, so sad; go call your Dad.

    You're doing the right thing, but actions/beliefs have consequences. Has he sufficiently paid for his Leftist stupidity? Perhaps he has; then again perhaps not.
    Converted liberals make good gun owners. You have to remember that people believe what they were brought up to believe and are products of their environment. That doesnt excuse bad behavior, like the famous "Where he gonna get his money?" after the kid from the hood gets shot, but it does explain why people develop opinions. They were never exposed to the other side and honestly dont know anything but what they were told and they. Once libs have a "come to Jesus" moment, it behooves us as gun owners to do what we can to teach them. First because we are nice guys, Second, they have liberal friends. Think snowball effect. Even if you dont convert all, you WILL get a few to start rethinking their position. Once Peter finds out that Paul and Mary are the gun owners he was told to despise, he will have a Hmmmm moment.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    Converted liberals make good gun owners. You have to remember that people believe what they were brought up to believe and are products of their environment. That doesnt excuse bad behavior, like the famous "Where he gonna get his money?" after the kid from the hood gets shot, but it does explain why people develop opinions. They were never exposed to the other side and honestly dont know anything but what they were told and they. Once libs have a "come to Jesus" moment, it behooves us as gun owners to do what we can to teach them. First because we are nice guys, Second, they have liberal friends. Think snowball effect. Even if you dont convert all, you WILL get a few to start rethinking their position. Once Peter finds out that Paul and Mary are the gun owners he was told to despise, he will have a Hmmmm moment.

    I would agree, except that I've yet to meet a liberal who would let anybody teach them anything. I try not to talk at people who aren't listening...especially when firearms are involved.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    The lib ASKED. So you learn him up. BECOME a instructor. Dont brand yourself as such, just take the guy and his wife shooting. Take your wife to. Make it relaxing because they will be scared, and since he is a guy, and a lib, he already knows everything (thus gun show loophole argument). Sic your wife on him and you take the easy one.

    His friends will either hate him, or start to realize that gun owners are not all knuckle dragging rednecks. I've seen it happen. They may not become pro 2A, but they wont be anti 2A.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    The lib ASKED. So you learn him up. BECOME a instructor. Dont brand yourself as such, just take the guy and his wife shooting. Take your wife to. Make it relaxing because they will be scared, and since he is a guy, and a lib, he already knows everything (thus gun show loophole argument). Sic your wife on him and you take the easy one.

    His friends will either hate him, or start to realize that gun owners are not all knuckle dragging rednecks. I've seen it happen. They may not become pro 2A, but they wont be anti 2A.


    :agree:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Captain OCaptain O Banned Posts: 22 New Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes. Go ahead and perpetuate the "redneck gun owner stereotype." Perfect plan. That's exactly how you get more folks involved in the shooting sports, by being an ass hat. :up:

    That's a much better plan than helping the guy out, and showing him that guns aren't scary, and are actually an enjoyable hobby. Therefore boosting support for the second amendment, increasing gun and ammo sales, and having a person who will share his experiences with his friends who have the same anti gun mindset.

    Name calling. Good.

    If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I said to do so if he wishes. These types can be taught, but they should have had the brains to figure it out on their own. I have 10 years of college in my background, but figured out the "gun situation" in 1968. That's right, it was 48 years ago and I learned it at my daddy's knee. I also had the intelligence to know the difference between the truth and a lie. This idiot didn't have the intellectual capacity to figure it out until now, he is evidently suffering from an mentally impairment from the outset.

    An epiphany this late in life? Ooooookay!

    As it was said in an earlier post, he's not a "Jackass Whisperer".

    Good luck to him.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Captain O wrote: »
    Name calling. Good.

    If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I said to do so if he wishes. These types can be taught, but they should have had the brains to figure it out on their own. I have 10 years of college in my background, but figured out the "gun situation" in 1968. That's right, it was 48 years ago and I learned it at my daddy's knee. I also had the intelligence to know the difference between the truth and a lie. This idiot didn't have the intellectual capacity to figure it out until now, he is evidently suffering from an mentally impairment from the outset.

    An epiphany this late in life? Ooooookay!

    As it was said in an earlier post, he's not a "Jackass Whisperer".

    Good luck to him.

    I bet you're fun at parties.
  • Captain OCaptain O Banned Posts: 22 New Member
    I bet you're fun at parties.

    Not as much fun as your sister.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Captain O wrote: »
    ................ I have 10 years of college in my background............

    Obviously not spent at Miss Porter's Finishing School for Young Ladies.

    "Etiquette and Politeness a must."

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Captain O wrote: »
    Not as much fun as your sister.

    You stay classy....
  • Captain OCaptain O Banned Posts: 22 New Member
    Lefties that dig their own hole should suffer the consequences of their own making. Back in college, there was a young flaming Leftist that suffered a home invasion. His father and sister were tied, and the house was looted by two goblins. This young idiot insisted that the "goblins" needed "habilitation".

    He'll die at the hands of some doper and I couldn't care less.

    You can't fix stupid.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    It got better ... earlier this week he applied for Pistol Purchase Permits (a NC Jim Crow thing where you must get a PPP from the Sheriff or have a CHP to buy a handgun) and found out all the hoops he had to jump thru and it was going to take about 3 weeks before he could buy a handgun. He called me whining about it and I told him it is the law ... gotta love it when they have a moment of enlightenment. Well just got another call, this afternoon he went to pick up a shotgun he had to have, he bought one of the Mossberg 500 pistol grips in the orange tube, and had a 3 day HOLD on his NICS check part of his 4473 so no shotgun for 3 days. I would give anything if this had been a reporter and they'd have published this saga which ain't over. I wonder how he and his wife are going to feel about he first gun they ever shot being a pistol grip Mossberg 500 which I did warn him about it this evening.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Captain O wrote: »

    You can't fix stupid.
    You can when they ask. If they ask they are willing to learn. You learned at your daddys knee, guess what? Your dad wasnt my dad, wasnt this guys dad, wasnt anyone elses.
    You say it cant be done, I have done it so I will tell you you are wrong. My wife is a converted anti gunner, my BIL is a converted anti gunner and my buddys sister is a converted anti gunner, because I made a effort.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    NC, take them to the range with a 22. Laugh at him in a month.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,766 Senior Member
    A pistol grip shotgun for a first gun! He's in for a physics lesson. If our a good friend find a regular stock for the 500 and bring it with you to the first time you shoot it and install it for him. Set him up for success.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Captain OCaptain O Banned Posts: 22 New Member
    Sorry, I don't like "wet nursing" fools. It's too bad people don't know how to think for themselves. So many are foolish and rely on the media and political hacks, instead of their inherent intelligence. I have tried explaining to people the truth in words of one syllable in a gentle, but not condescending, fashion. It rarely works. Today, idiocy abounds.

    In the words of the immortal Bard: "What fools these mortals be."
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.