Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger American 9mm

2»

Replies

  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Exactly what personal insults did I make? I said I hate gun snobbery, if the shoe fits. I said NZ does not make a gun that competes with, well anything. You on the other hand just called me a petulant child. Since I called you nothing, perhaps it is you who should man up and grow a set or are you all like the only thing you are famous for, sheep.

    Back to the gun, IMO, Ruger wants to get into the competition game. Nobody uses Ruger semiauto centerfires for games except maybe some 1911 shooters. I suspect this is a their attempt to change that. Face it, every striker fired gun in todays market was cloned from glocks to some extent. So really who is original anymore?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    I'd like to say you are the product of the chief thing Alabamans are famous for, but I'm not into veiled insults or Stereotypes, so I'll refrain.

    That there is what a snide insult looks like, you should recognise it.
    Pray tell what relevance does my country's small arms industry have on my opinion on a pistol? I can't own one so I'm jealous? I think you'll find I can own one if I choose to.
    I'm a snob? I own a couple of ChiComm rifles and shotguns so no, I'm not precious about brand names, I recommend them as affordable to new shooters and those who just want a beater, they are knockoffs of well known makers and well executed for their price point, I recognise them for what they are.

    Anyway, this is a waste of our time, a never the twain shall meet sort of conversation which will go no where, have a yourself a fine evening, I'm sure I'll see you at the next pissing match we have.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I had a friend in Junior High who could piss clear across Blanding Blvd in Jacksonville FLA back before they widened it and it was a 2 lane road further out. We were impressed, and nobody we knew could win a pissing contest against him, literally.

    Course a quart of Colt 45 primed the pump beforehand :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    So far. NO ONE, including myself, has shot one yet. Other than astetics, we cannot really say what gun will be like. Some valid points have been made, but Ruger doesn't make garbage, like Remington has. They also have a well deserved reputation for customer service, which I have experienced firsthand.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If you get one Tugar I'd appreciate a good thorough range report from you, which I'm sure it will be from you.

    Looks like it would be one heck of a duty/range/HD pistol for the money. CCW for some who could comfortably carry and conceal it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Well, as far as Ruger Auto's go, I have only had two, One a few years ago ,a P-95 and now a P-95DC. I like it well, fits good, shoots great .A little big for CCDW but that where my Colt Pocket Lite or my S/W 637 comes in. The P-95DC could have a shorter trigger pull, maybe the American,being a Striker fired will. The DC is very accurate, fits great, only cost me $239.00 what,s more to love. Still not a Colt. Not really crazy about the S/W Sheild or MP's. Would I like the American, well who knows, not got to hold on yet.As far as the grip, flat or arched, I feel like GUNS and AMMO's writer, P. Sweeny just said , don't really matter. usually depends on if shooting one handed or two handed.(page 6 in the Reader Blowback pages, JUNE issue)
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Any of you people been looking or bought a new Berreta PX4. Looks like a nice Carry Auto. I'd like to try one.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    Any of you people been looking or bought a new Berreta PX4. Looks like a nice Carry Auto. I'd like to try one.

    Have you seen this thing? It's gigantic. And heavy. Try squeezing it into your front pants pocket. Geez, to carry this full size service pistol you'd need a holster! And a freaking belt! And then you'd have to completely change the clothes you wear and the way you dress to keep it draped with shirts, sweaters or jackets or risk an unintended exposure / display. Sounds like a recipe for leaving it at home, which is exactly what will happen. CCW guns should be small, light, thin, and fit easily into a pocket without printing. Those are the guns that get carried, every day, everywhere, regardless of the season or what you're wearing or not wearing or how you're wearing it, if for no other reason than they CAN BE CARRIED with NO accommodations necessary. Enjoy.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    True, but they make a compact one Haven't seen any in the store yet.Some guns carried are a little larger carried Inside waist band .
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I think it would be a good ccdw carry weapon, but may be too large for a pocket but in a holster could be OK. I'm going to look at one as soon as I get to a couple LGS's. I hardly ever carry in a pocket.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Have you seen this thing? It's gigantic. And heavy. Try squeezing it into your front pants pocket. Geez, to carry this full size service pistol you'd need a holster! And a freaking belt! And then you'd have to completely change the clothes you wear and the way you dress to keep it draped with shirts, sweaters or jackets or risk an unintended exposure / display. Sounds like a recipe for leaving it at home, which is exactly what will happen. CCW guns should be small, light, thin, and fit easily into a pocket without printing. Those are the guns that get carried, every day, everywhere, regardless of the season or what you're wearing or not wearing or how you're wearing it, if for no other reason than they CAN BE CARRIED with NO accommodations necessary. Enjoy.

    Not everyone requires a 12 oz. handgun in order to bring ourselves to haul it around all the time. Mine get carried "every day, everywhere, regardless of the season", and 99% of the time it's either a Kimber Ultracarry .45, a full size Glock, or a K/L/N frame S&W, NONE of which fit in a front pocket. :tooth:

    A good belt, and a good holster, make all the difference in the world. A decent belly band or fanny pack accommodates the other 2% of the time.

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    Any of you people been looking or bought a new Berreta PX4. Looks like a nice Carry Auto. I'd like to try one.

    I've owned one in .40 S&W, and I liked it. It has a nice design without a lot of fluff. I especially liked how easy it was to customize; switching over the mag release to either side was a 3 minute process, and it has interchangeable backstraps. Disassembly was the easiest of any pistol I've ever owned, so maintenance was cake. It was accurate, reliable, and totally concealable.

    The only real down side was the safety lever. I liked that it was a decocker too, but its design was flawed in that it pokes outward from the slide; that made it poke into my side when I carried it, and I mostly carried it OWB. It was bad enough that the safety is slide-mounted rather than mounted on the frame, but the shape made it worse.

    BTW, I think horselips has the PX4 confused with the M9 or P92; the PX4 is by no means a large gun, and the compacts are even smaller; comfort (generally) and concealment were never an issue. I had a holster custom made from Brigade Gunleather.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I could see it for a beater gun, like a truck gun or woods gun or something. I'm sure its functional and mechanically sound, that being said for $465 i'd rather spend the extra $50 to $100 and have a gun with a little more polish and quality of finish. I know, here comes the "Glocks aren't polished" comments. What I mean is with the other big boy polymer pistols in that category (Glock, XD, and M&P) you have a quality of finish and fit that typically exceeds the lower end Ruger stuff (LCP, LC9, now this.) This coming from a big fan of Rugers. I had one of the first run LCPs and it jammed fairly consistently on me and it never felt quality in my hand which was somewhat expected for $249 at the time but bothered me enough that i sold it fairly quickly. Several of my friends have them in their collection and love them however.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I've owned one in .40 S&W, and I liked it. It has a nice design without a lot of fluff. I especially liked how easy it was to customize; switching over the mag release to either side was a 3 minute process, and it has interchangeable backstraps. Disassembly was the easiest of any pistol I've ever owned, so maintenance was cake. It was accurate, reliable, and totally concealable.

    The only real down side was the safety lever. I liked that it was a decocker too, but its design was flawed in that it pokes outward from the slide; that made it poke into my side when I carried it, and I mostly carried it OWB. It was bad enough that the safety is slide-mounted rather than mounted on the frame, but the shape made it worse.

    BTW, I think horselips has the PX4 confused with the M9 or P92; the PX4 is by no means a large gun, and the compacts are even smaller; comfort (generally) and concealment were never an issue. I had a holster custom made from Brigade Gunleather.
    I think it to be a small CCWD, I don't like pocket carry, even with a nice holster outside or inside the waist band it wouldn't be that large. The 92's are too large for me to carry everyday, even my Ruger P-95dc will never replace my Colt Mustang or Smith637 for everyday carry. I don't carry everyday anyway, just on occausion. travel , or just when I feel like it.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Not everyone requires a 12 oz. handgun in order to bring ourselves to haul it around all the time. Mine get carried "every day, everywhere, regardless of the season", and 99% of the time it's either a Kimber Ultracarry .45, a full size Glock, or a K/L/N frame S&W, NONE of which fit in a front pocket. :tooth:

    A good belt, and a good holster, make all the difference in the world. A decent belly band or fanny pack accommodates the other 2% of the time.

    Luis

    Agreed. My CC pistols are a Kimber 1911 full size, an M&P40, or an M&P9c. The only one smaller is my Shield, my t-shirt carry. Anyone who says you can only carry a mouse gun daily just doesn't want to put any thought or effort into it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    I could see it for a beater gun, like a truck gun or woods gun or something. I'm sure its functional and mechanically sound, that being said for $465 i'd rather spend the extra $50 to $100 and have a gun with a little more polish and quality of finish. I know, here comes the "Glocks aren't polished" comments. What I mean is with the other big boy polymer pistols in that category (Glock, XD, and M&P) you have a quality of finish and fit that typically exceeds the lower end Ruger stuff (LCP, LC9, now this.) This coming from a big fan of Rugers. I had one of the first run LCPs and it jammed fairly consistently on me and it never felt quality in my hand which was somewhat expected for $249 at the time but bothered me enough that i sold it fairly quickly. Several of my friends have them in their collection and love them however.

    You may consider replacing your LCP with a Taurus 738TCP with complete confidence. Yes, even Taurus sometimes gets it right, and with this American made weapon, they did. For under $200, it's the best kept open secret in the whole CCW world. Enjoy.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • warbird1warbird1 New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    Sure is a lot of negativity going on here. I own a PX4 Storm in 40S&W and love it. Don't have the Ruger American in 9mm but I do have it in 45 and it is superb in my opinion. Love the trigger. The only problem with the American is if you insist on using a high thumbs grip. As I am a long time revolver shooter (4 decades) I have no problem with it. As far as Glocks are concerned some people love them...I just can't warm up to them.
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    I think most guns look Ok, but I care more about how it fits my hand and the function/performance rather than looks.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I just seem to favor exposed hammer type wepons but some striker fired guns look OK...and like a good shoe, fit is important.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement