OK, forget Umarex, how about High Standard?

GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior MemberPosts: 1,083 Senior Member
So, I was considering a full size 1911 variant from Regent/Umarex, but given more thought, I'm more interested in a more compact 1911 platform ala a Detonics .45 or Para P.14 LDA...

I was perusing Cabelas and saw the High Standard models, for a reasonable price; particularly the HS compact Crusader, looks good, 3 dot sights, lightened trigger (doesn't say if adjustable for overtravel, but could be swapped out), beveled mag well, extended slide and safety levers...

All for about $500 or less. Anyone here have experiences with this particular gun that they could share? I know someone will post that I should get a "Brand X" 1911 for only $300 more, but that $300 is a big difference considering the required additional cost of a holster or two and a sufficient supply of ammo...
I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,456 Senior Member
    I have no experience with the High Standard personally. Around here the Rock Island Armory 1911 goes for about $400 ($460 for the "Tactical" model with all the fancy stuff), and I've yet to hear someone complain about the quality of them. Just a thought.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jackdog9jackdog9 New Member Posts: 9 New Member
    Had one for a couple of years, with the intention of using it as my CCW. First off it was really heavy for a compact. It must have been all steel. Fit wasn't too bad. Although the first few rounds fired from it rounded off some high spots. Also, the finish wasnt very durable either. Started to show signs of rust. And lastly, no after market drop in sights were available for it. Not a bad gun for plinking, but i would pass if your intention is for CC.

Dave
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    You get what you pay for. Made in the Philippines to meet a low price point doesn't really equal quality in my mind. For $500 look for a good used deal from a more reputable manufacturer. I picked up a used Para Ordnance Tac Four with the LDA trigger and three magazines in excellent condition for $500 recently so deals can be had.