Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Louis Gohmert on Trump's border plan

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,813 Senior Member
Louis Gohmert is the US Representaive in the House, for my district, and has been one of the strongest conservatives who has actually stood up and fought for the issues he ran on, many years ago. He has spent time on the border with the Texas DPS and the Border Patrol and understands the problem well. In a recent interview he was asked if Trump's border plan would ever be implemented.

He said that if Trump actually intends to keep that pledge, the wall can be built, although he's skeptical about Mexico being forced to pay for it. But, he also said that if Trump does not push it hard, it will disappear from the agenda, because there will be zero support from Dems, and very little enthusiasm in the Republican leadership. They will let it all die down, if it will. There are plenty of outspoken conservatives in the House, and a few in the Senate, but their voices seldom get out to the people. The only way it will get done is if Trump takes it to the people and they keep the pressure on the House and Senate leadership.

This, to me, is very representative of the kind of problems Trump will have to solve, if elected. It all depends upon whether he means what he has said, and whether he employs people who understand the issue. Non-Democrats, nationwide, have spoken, based on what he said, and will expect him to deliver. Obviously, most Texans didn't believe him, on primary voting day, but now have to hope that he meant what he said, at least about controlling the border. We have nothing but his solemn promise, and can only hope that he will keep it, in the face of all of the media attacks that will come, if he actually does intend to do it.

Of course, he still has to get elected. But he's running against the worst candidate the Dems have chosen, since Michael Dukakis, so it could happen.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The "wall" doesn't necessarily have to be barbed wire and steel, or bricks and mortar. Simply letting the Border Patrol and other LEO agencies do their job would accomplish the same thing as a physical wall in a lot of areas. Yes, build physical barriers where necessary, but the real challenge will be to stop the catch and release program that we've had in effect for so long, in all the recent administrations. It's not just a dummycrap issue. I can remember ICE raids in California back in the late 1970's at some of the farms where I was servicing tractor-trailers. As they were loading guys on the buses they were saying "Don't hire somebody else- - - - -I'll be back next week!" Next time I did a service call, guess what- - - - -same guy, doing the same job!

If a few bosses had to do 90 days in the hoosegow for hiring illegals, I'll bet a lot of that would stop!
    Jerry
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

If a few bosses had to do 90 days in the hoosegow for hiring illegals, I'll bet a lot of that would stop!
    Jerry
    This. If there are no jobs. They will self deport.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    4 things....eliminate welfare, drivers licenses and education for illegals and prosecute businesses that hire them. You will hear a giant sucking sound of them running across the Rio Grande towards Mexico.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    4 things....eliminate welfare, drivers licenses and education for illegals and prosecute businesses that hire them. You will hear a giant sucking sound of them running across the Rio Grande towards Mexico.

I'd add in heavy fines/jail terms for those who forge the documents they need to be "legal" - social security cards, birth certificates, licenses, etc. - so you it's harder to get the stuff that can be used to dupe employers. If an employer has these fake documents, he can claim to not know better and prosecution is probably harder.

Getting back to Bisley's post, it illustrates an issue I've got with ALL campaign promises: how does the candidate plan on getting this stuff cone? Assuming it's not illegal or unconstitutional, he needs help from the legislature to change the laws, enact new laws, or to pay for this stuff. And if it's a regulation from an agency, does the POTUS have the authority to pressure for those changes? This isn't a critique on Trump, but on all executive candidates at the state and federal level.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    I'd add in heavy fines/jail terms for those who forge the documents they need to be "legal" - social security cards, birth certificates, licenses, etc. - so you it's harder to get the stuff that can be used to dupe employers. If an employer has these fake documents, he can claim to not know better and prosecution is probably harder.

Getting back to Bisley's post, it illustrates an issue I've got with ALL campaign promises: how does the candidate plan on getting this stuff cone? Assuming it's not illegal or unconstitutional, he needs help from the legislature to change the laws, enact new laws, or to pay for this stuff. And if it's a regulation from an agency, does the POTUS have the authority to pressure for those changes? This isn't a critique on Trump, but on all executive candidates at the state and federal level.
    The first 75% would bail on my suggestions and the last 25% on yours.....LOL
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    'The Wall' doesn't have to be continuous along the whole border. Just build it in the high traffic/high population centers, and the rest with a few gaps in certain good locations to funnel the traffic into the waiting arms of Border Patrol/Homeland security. Border fence is not much different from barriers put up when working cattle; just funnel the critters where you want them to go.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It might also be a good idea to build a few railroad spur tracks close to the border. When a tunnel under a fence is discovered, just flush it out with a tank car load of water!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They need to finish the entire wall, there are too many ways they have backed out of enforcing what they need to be doing. Congress passed a bill to build 700 more miles in 2006, but have waffled on getting it done either by them or Homeland Security/ POTUS not enough backbone and it seems whoever is in charge can drag their feet under one excuse or the other and pressure from the POTUS who appointed them.

Sure a physical wall can be done away with in some places, but that would take a virtual wall they actually enforce and put the BP manpower and equipment there to do it.

They need it as a physical barrier and a symbolic one I think. Need to build it once and for all. Make them make a commitment to secure our border they can't weasel out of for all the lame reasons they come up with. Every environmental group, pro illegal immigrant/ open borders group out there can try and have succeeded in some cases in putting a halt to it with lawsuits. Congress playing budget games with it saying it cost too much are in reality just finding ways to circumvent it ever being completed.

We can't afford not to build it/secure our border. Besides possible terrorist coming in and illegal aliens coming in who have no right to and suck up our social services and overload our hospitals and schools and police what about the billions and billions of dollars spent on drug addiction, broken families and the death/destruction and crime that comes with it and has for decades?

What are the ones opposed to it so afraid of? Future votes lost (DEMs) make them look bad and ruin their feel good fantasy that we are still the land of milk and honey for anyone who wants to just to come on in, welcome the huddled masses and all that. This ain't the 1800s or early 1900s anymore. Only so many we can absorb without placing a burden on legal citizens. If enough come in, America will be no better than the place they came from.

Allow legal immigration, but controlled in a way that limits how many we can take in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I really don't see the point right now in making new laws when we can't enforce the ones we already have. If our current laws are unenforceable as written, we need to have laws that we can enforce and maybe reflect reality for a change. I do not see that coming from Trump, Clinton, or anyone else for that matter. Until then, the rule of law is a stupid joke.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Louis Gohmert is the US Representaive in the House, for my district, and has been one of the strongest conservatives who has actually stood up and fought for the issues he ran on, many years ago. He has spent time on the border with the Texas DPS and the Border Patrol and understands the problem well. In a recent interview he was asked if Trump's border plan would ever be implemented.

He said that if Trump actually intends to keep that pledge, the wall can be built, although he's skeptical about Mexico being forced to pay for it. But, he also said that if Trump does not push it hard, it will disappear from the agenda, because there will be zero support from Dems, and very little enthusiasm in the Republican leadership. They will let it all die down, if it will. There are plenty of outspoken conservatives in the House, and a few in the Senate, but their voices seldom get out to the people. The only way it will get done is if Trump takes it to the people and they keep the pressure on the House and Senate leadership.

This, to me, is very representative of the kind of problems Trump will have to solve, if elected. It all depends upon whether he means what he has said, and whether he employs people who understand the issue. Non-Democrats, nationwide, have spoken, based on what he said, and will expect him to deliver. Obviously, most Texans didn't believe him, on primary voting day, but now have to hope that he meant what he said, at least about controlling the border. We have nothing but his solemn promise, and can only hope that he will keep it, in the face of all of the media attacks that will come, if he actually does intend to do it.

Of course, he still has to get elected. But he's running against the worst candidate the Dems have chosen, since Michael Dukakis, so it could happen.

You better hope it happens because I think you won't like the alternative. I personally still believe Hillary is the worst case.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The wall can be paid for with the money Mexico gets in support from the US. Let the money they don't get pay for the wall. If Trump stops all the money we send to countries that hate us then that will off set the Military spending. If Foreign aid stops we will have every ones attention. Anyone that gets it has to earn it. Simple but no one has done it. No more Arabs on the welfare program!
    !:applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Gun towers with a 25 yard kill zone. No need for a wall a lot cheaper and quite a deterrent. Worked in Berlin.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The "wall" doesn't necessarily have to be barbed wire and steel, or bricks and mortar. Simply letting the Border Patrol and other LEO agencies do their job would accomplish the same thing as a physical wall in a lot of areas. Yes, build physical barriers where necessary, but the real challenge will be to stop the catch and release program that we've had in effect for so long, in all the recent administrations. It's not just a dummycrap issue. I can remember ICE raids in California back in the late 1970's at some of the farms where I was servicing tractor-trailers. As they were loading guys on the buses they were saying "Don't hire somebody else- - - - -I'll be back next week!" Next time I did a service call, guess what- - - - -same guy, doing the same job!

Jerry

90 days? how about 10 years?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Most of the replies are avoiding the point.

It isn't about whether a wall is the best way to control illegal immigration. It is about whether there is a political will to end the problem. Trump is the presumptive nominee for the job that will have to lead the charge. He has to be willing to spend a huge amount of 'political capital' to succeed at the task. He has stated his plan clearly, and it has catapulted him to a position where he may just get the opportunity to do exactly what he said.

Better still, if he does keep the issue at the forefront of his presidential agenda, and gets elected, he has a clear populist mandate to get it done. There will be a major debate in both houses of Congress that will be followed more closely by the electorate than many other more complicated issues. Committees will spring up to study the best possible ways to succeed at the task, security analysts will come out of the woodwork to speculate on television about which are the best plans, and in the end, a bill will be passed and signed that will purport to solve the problem.

On the other hand, Trump may simply let the issue fade away in his campaign, in order to court the large population centers for which this is not an issue. In a few weeks, the Republican convention will put together a political platform for the general election. This will be when we discover which issues Trump is likely to fight for, within his own chosen party. Likely, the economy will be the top item, with national defense a close second. If immigration is not included as an integral part of both those issues and given a high profile priority, nothing of major significance will happen.

Trump has the populist power to make this a priority, if he chooses to honor his pledge.
    But Trump is a man of the people. They love him. He could shoot someone on 5th Avenue in NYC, and they would still love him. And the people want the problem solved. Therefore he will do it...right?
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    American troops defend other nations borders, but not America's borders.

Explain please.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    If you are old enough to remember Ronald Reagan, you might remember when Congress did not support what he wanted done he went to the voters who bombarded their Congressmen and Senators to get their attention and he succeeded in action being taken. Trump has many people discussed with the lack of action in Washington and many politicians are afraid of Trump being elected, and their gravy train ending. All Trump will have to do is go to the people and they will put pressure on their Representatives and Senators. It worked in the past.
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    I'm old enough to remember WW2.
    Nomadac wrote: »
    If you are old enough to remember Ronald Reagan, you might remember when Congress did not support what he wanted done he went to the voters who bombarded their Congressmen and Senators to get their attention and he succeeded in action being taken. Trump has many people discussed with the lack of action in Washington and many politicians are afraid of Trump being elected, and their gravy train ending. All Trump will have to do is go to the people and they will put pressure on their Representatives and Senators. It worked in the past.

That is exactly the point of this post. 'Building the wall and making Mexico pay for it' was the first Trump slogan that catapulted him into the lead. If he pushes it, something will happen in Congress, and some watered down version of what he promised may happen.

However, he may have to give up something to get something, as he has alluded to on many occasions, and both sides of the aisle (in Congress) will set traps for him. He had better have 2 or 3 goals to accomplish, going in, and be able to keep the public behind them, or he will be in the same quagmire that every president finds himself in, if he stays long enough. Whoever gets elected will probably be the most unpopular president ever, when he/she leaves. I'm not sure how Trump will handle that - probably about the same as Obama - he will just pretend that it isn't so.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Police fire smoke at anti-Trump protesters in Downtown ABQ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36376491

http://www.abqjournal.com/779925/donald-trump-experience-hits-albuquerque.html

"Drivers in passing cars revved their engines, and passengers hanging out the windows waved large Mexican flags. Groups of protesters wove in between the vehicles, yelling, “Viva Mexico!”"

Looks like some have brought their El estilo político with them across the border.

Pancho Villa rides again.