Home Main Category Clubhouse

Mechanics - Grinding limited slip differential .. is it a problem?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
Recently had a fluid change on my transmission and rear differential, and had one of the three universal joints replaced.

Never noticed it before, but when I am turning at low speeds, I hear / feel a grinding in the rear limited slip differential. After I had my u joints replaced, my mechanic told me about it and said the new synthetic lube might clear it up. No such luck. I have looked this up on the Internet, and it appears the clutch surfaces of the LSD ( psychedelic sarcasm inserted after this three letter acronym, please ) are the reason this happens.

1. Is this a problem? At speed, it runs quiet, straight and true.

2. Is this a potential stranding issue? Can the LSD lock up? cause other issues with my tires?

3. If it needs to be replaced, do you swap out the whole rear differential or just the LSD?

With the truck 11 years old, I am seriously eyeing a replacement if this gets out of hand... I am betting I am due for a major AC overhaul, valve cover gaskets, plugs, shocks, brakes, potentially rear LSD replacement, and if it's another $3000 to get everything right, I think I might get a new truck...

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    In Chevy's and Ford's it isn't a problem, you just have a one tire fire now. The differential carrier is rebuildable but most places are just going to replace it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    Not sure what brand of truck you have but most most brands that uses clutch type limited slips have a friction modifier that you add to the gear lube. Mopar is about 4 oz that gets added and then go out in the back lot and do several figure 8s. This should quiet down the "chattering" that happens when turning.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    At that age, get a new vehicle, more problems to come.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Try this old trick before you spend any more. if it works,great. If it does not it has not cost you anything. Go to an empty parking lot and make a series of turns in on direction. Stop. Reverse the direction. What this does is get lubrication to areas it might be slow to reach.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Dan, I don't know what make truck you have, on my Dodge with LSD both front and rear, I use Amsoil 75 - 140 severe gear lube and add there LDS additive. Every car, truck ,& jeep I have owned with factory LDS has used a friction additive.

You might try draining the diff. , using Syn. lube and the additive

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Another vote for the LSD additive. If the lube has been changed without adding it, it's not uncommon to get a chatter. It's a 6-ounce bottle of amber liquid that's added to the regular lube- - - -no need for that over-hyped synthetic mouse milk that Amsoil sells! Any dealer service department should have it. Ford, GM, and Chrysler all buy the same stuff and put it in their own bottles.
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Another vote for LDS additive. The fact that you hadn't heard the noise prior to the service is the clue here.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    So you guys are putting Mormons into your differentials?!? :yikes:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »

Dude! that is LDS, not LSD....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Dude! that is LDS, not LSD....

D
    Yep - and at least 2 posts misquoted it as LDS!!! :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Really shouldn't be grinding more of a chirp or popping as the clutches are grabbing on turns. The additive would be your best starting point.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep - and at least 2 posts misquoted it as LDS!!! :roll2:

Yep, but those guys just took a hit of acid!
    :drool:
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member

Not the whole LDS, just the squeezins! :tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin