American Cowboy Ammo update

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 6,045 Senior Member
If you remember, I was shooting American Cowboy Ammo, Fiocchi and Ultramax in my new Uberti 1873 Carbine. 100 rounds of the Ultramax and 50 rounds of Fiocchi ran through without a glitch.

The American Cowboy Ammo had 5 failure to fires in the first 15 rounds. I emailed the company, they were very responsive and offered to replace both boxes of ammo I had. They even sent me a check to cover there return shipping, and threw in a box of the 45 Cowboy Special they recently started loading.

The replacement ammo was doing the same thing right out of the gate. I was pretty bummed. This stuff is priced right. But this is my first lever gun, so I learned on the interwebs that I can adjust the hammer spring. If I tighten that all the way, the ammo functions just fine.

So in the end, I don't think the ammo is defective. But the primers they use are definitely less sensitive than whatever Fiocchi and Ultramax use. It does seem to burn clean, is very accurate and affordable. So I reported back to them what I found, sent their check back (didn't feel right keeping it), thanked them for their customer service and bought more of their ammo.

:guns:

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    I own and shoot leverguns. I have shot thousands of rounds of 45 colt through them, I have never had to adjust the tension on the mainspring to get ammo to go off. I would adjust the mainspring back to where it was and shoot quality ammo. IMHO now shoot the snot out of your new shooter:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,266 Senior Member
    Every cowboy shooter I know uses Federal primers for that very reason. Some primers (CCI) are just harder and therefore tougher to ignite. Federal go off even with lighter hammer springs. I would be worried about breaking the firing pin if you maxed out the spring and use ammo with a harder primer. I could be wrong though. My Ubertti has never needed adjustment.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I think you've been given good advice here.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I own and shoot leverguns. I have shot thousands of rounds of 45 colt through them, I have never had to adjust the tension on the mainspring to get ammo to go off. I would adjust the mainspring back to where it was and shoot quality ammo. IMHO now shoot the snot out of your new shooter:tooth:

I hear ya...but quality ammo is expensive. I should be loading my own before too long though.

Gonna take it out with my son tomorrow. Bought some Black Hills ammo to run through it.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Good deal!! We need more honest people like you!

TBH, my first thought as I read your post was the hammer spring.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug