Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Why premiere Roots on Memorial Day?

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
What does it have to do with Memorial Day anyhow? History Ch blew it this time around. They wanna play Muskogee Airmen/Buffalo Soldiers or something along those lines, go for it, but I don't see the connection here...maybe some Civil War scenes? But still.

Why not last weekend or the next?

I swapped channels to D-Day stuff on AHC (American Heroes Channel). I may watch Roots eventually and see if it has any more historical accuracy than the first one which used a lot of Poetic/Hollywood License, I doubt it from what I have read, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

"Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces.[1] The holiday, which is observed every year on the last Monday of May,[2] originated as Decoration Day after the American Civil War in 1868, when the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union veterans founded in Decatur, Illinois, established it as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the Union war dead with flowers.[3] By the 20th century, competing Union and Confederate holiday traditions, celebrated on different days, had merged, and Memorial Day eventually extended to honor all Americans who died while in the military service.[1] It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries."
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,514 Senior Member
    Seems M-day is when they premiere a lot of series. Last year it was Texas Rising and the year before The Hatfields and McCoys.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Seems M-day is when they premiere a lot of series. Last year it was Texas Rising and the year before The Hatfields and McCoys.
    I think you're right. It's a long weekend, the "start" of summer, and not a whole lot else is on, really. Put something new on and folks might watch it.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Who would be home to watch it? Seems like I-24 and I-75 were packed with families going on vacation........and most of the people behind the wheel had their heads stuck up their rear ends. All of them following at half a car length. I had one of those low to the ground compacts following me so close, in the right hand lane, that I could only see it occasionally in the side view mirrors when he drifted left or right. Them little 'beep-beep' cars disappear when they get close enough behind me; I can't see them over the tailgate. If I'd had to stop suddenly, then he'd have been decapitated by the bumper.

A lot of new shows are premiering this week; Roots is just one of them. Hundreds of channels and nothing worth watching.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ive got a better question. Who gives a flying ?

Heck even Snoop Dog says he ain't watching that er... "Crap" for other reasons than mine.............

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snoop-dogg-asks-fans-boycott-898225
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Because they hate America, veterans, and white people.

You may be more right than you know about some.....................who want to destroy America.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    They probably hate Jesus too.

...and kittens....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Because they hate America, veterans, and white people.

I can't believe you said that!!! Was that meant as sarcasm?

:fan:.....:yikes:.....:rotflmao:.....:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Well, did anyone actually watch it besides maybe Alpha?

I'm sure once the series has shown many encores will follow.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I can't believe you said that!!! Was that meant as sarcasm?

:fan:.....:yikes:.....:rotflmao:.....:tooth:

Sure it was. My thunking is it was Memorial Day........if not for Veterans of ALL COLORS/RACES/ETHNICITY they wouldn't be making that miniseries and I chose to view other things especially on a day honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I was just expecting something more along the MD theme from them and was disappointed their prime time selection was Roots.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ...and kittens....

And cans! They hate the cans!
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Is this a rerun of Ferguson Missouri?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Not saying "White" folks haven't bent the truth in movies/TV shows and made historically inaccurate ones, lord knows how many versions of Jesse James or the Civil War/WWI/WWII movies and everything else in-between to keep them entertaining. Or just didn't bother to do any research.

I guess Historical Fiction is a good description.....maybe "Loosely Based On....."

Again, did anyone watch it? Comments?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Fiction yes, historical no. Historical fiction is based in the time with the players engaged in the making of the history, the fiction is how the event came about, not if it happened. Space monsters killing Lincoln and framing John Wilkes Booth would be historical fiction. Fiction set across a historical timeline, maybe. Hayley even gave it up that the entire story was made up from whole cloth.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    History and A&E are playing it simultaneously...............crap... I like to check both of them channels hoping I can find something I wanna watch and/or haven't seen before.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    What I have never seen or heard is that there might never have been slavery if there own people had not kidnapped them and sold them to the white slavers.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Slavery is still thriving in the Middle East and Africa, but we aren't allowed to know/talk about it. Politically incorrect, and all that.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I don't care for them remaking that movie. It was an event for my family when I was a kid. Not so much now.

I refuse to watch it.

Slavery is wrong on every level. Nothing else matters to me.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    fisheadgib wrote: »
    and cans! They hate the cans!

"DIE gas pumper!!!!"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    What I have never seen or heard is that there might never have been slavery if there own people had not kidnapped them and sold them to the white slavers.

JAY

For some time, West African kingdoms had relied on slaves(Black) to carry out heavy work.

The Songhai kingdom used slaves as soldiers.

The slave trade was most important for the economic development of West Africa.

Although since about the late 1400's the Portuguese had been buying slaves from the kingdom of Benin, in Nigeria, and selling them to the Akan, the Asante kingdom of Ghana, this continued until the early 1700s.

I quote;

" The Akan people supplied the Portuguese with slaves to work on sugar plantations in Brazil.............................However, by this period, the Atlantic slave trade dominated trade with West Africa. Kingdoms like the Asante and Dahomey used their power to raid societies like the Bambara, Mende, and Fulanis for slaves............."

PS.

I quote again;

".................... In 1807, the British government abolished the slave trade. Because West African kingdoms did not co-operate with the British, the slave trade across the Atlantic Ocean continued. However, the slave trade declined in areas where the British had influence, for example the Gold Coast.

Industrial development in Britain led to increasing trade with West Africa in agricultural products like palm oil, rubber, and cocoa.
    To supply Britain with these products, the Asante kingdom kept the slaves they had captured for the Atlantic slave trade and used them as farm workers instead.
    This led to the growth of slavery in West Africa because each kingdom wanted to profit from this new trade.
    West African slavery came to a slow end towards the end of the 19th century when many of these kingdoms were colonised by the French and British. Former slaves became the landless lower classes.."
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Their head hurts, and their feet stink also.

All of their mothers were hamsters, and their fathers smelt of elderberries!!!!
    tennmike wrote: »
    Slavery is still thriving in the Middle East and Africa, but we aren't allowed to know/talk about it. Politically incorrect, and all that.

As late as the 1700's, the Moors had an estimated 1.5 million white slaves.

Mainly obtained from the Mediterranean(Barbary pirates) but isolated fishing villages in Cornwall were not immune.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    For some time, West African kingdoms had relied on slaves(Black) to carry out heavy work.

The Songhai kingdom used slaves as soldiers.

The slave trade was most important for the economic development of West Africa.

Although since about the late 1400's the Portuguese had been buying slaves from the kingdom of Benin, in Nigeria, and selling them to the Akan, the Asante kingdom of Ghana, this continued until the early 1700s.

" The Akan people supplied the Portuguese with slaves to work on sugar plantations in Brazil.............................However, by this period, the Atlantic slave trade dominated trade with West Africa. Kingdoms like the Asante and Dahomey used their power to raid societies like the Bambara, Mende, and Fulanis for slaves.............."

You are 100% correct, I should have worded it to say " there might not have been any slaves in America"

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    The problem with making movies that portray a piece of history is that movies need heroes, and most heroes were not politically correct in their own times, much less the present time. Movie producers are always going to try to make the movie entertaining, and that often demands that emphasis be placed on the wrong things, and that some things be left out, entirely. The villains need to be much worse than they probably were, and the heroes need to be much better than they actually were. Often, they create composite characters and assign actions to one person that actually were carried out by several different people. Then, of course, there are the activist movie producers and directors who intentionally use their 'art' to distort history to aid a political agenda.

I only hope that the documentary film makers try to get it right, because people mostly tend to believe that they are being historically accurate. It isn't always so.
    bisley wrote: »
    .................I only hope that the documentary film makers try to get it right, because people mostly tend to believe that they are being historically accurate. It isn't always so.

What can you be meaning! :uhm:

It's.....it's not real? :yikes: