Home Main Category Personal Defense

Potential road rage incident

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
OK, I've been debating whether to post this. Yesterday while running some errands, the Wife and I encountered what could have become a serious incident. We approached an intersection and had a green arrow to turn right, while the cross street had an arrow to turn left on the overlap. As we were turning right with our right-of-way, a guy in an Escalade barreled thru the overlap left in a U-turn, almost hitting us, then proceeded to run us into the curb lane as he mindlessly changed lanes from left to middle.

Wife, bring Irish, floored it and laid on the horn, passed him, and got back into the left lane, since we needed to turn into the shopping center coming up.

He lagged behind for a bit, then came up alongside us in the dual left lane, and stopped. He and I traded the hairy eyeball for a few minutes until the light changed, but all I could think of was that I had decided not to carry, since we were only running a few errands. If he had gotten out of his truck, I'm not sure what I would have done: get out and dance, or urge the Wife to change lanes and boogie.

There were several things we did wrong that I know of, first and foremost neither of us had anything and we both have permits. If he had turned out to be a Trucha with amigos at the next light, we would have been hosed.

Let the hotwash begin.
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Oh, and trust me: I am back to carrying any and everywhere legal outside the house.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    Yep! Nothing like needing it and not having it to turn the little (probably ought to carry) light on...consider it a learning experience...
    In the situation you describe...driving away is about the only option you have left...(I would probably exercise that option rather than let it devolve into a confrontation)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    That's a typical day going to work out here in Los Angeles. If I worried about What If. I would never leave the house
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Just playing devels advocate but in light of the fact that the wife speed after him and basicly escalated the situation, I think had the ccw come into play you might have been legally walking a thin line. evade and escape was likely the only sane option.

Sako
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,813 Senior Member
    Worked out OK, glad your considering the alternatives to stay safe.
  • 44special44special Member Posts: 64 Member
    LML, the jerk was driving wrong, your bride was wrong and you were wrong. Since you didn't get out or were armed, no harm done. Next time just curse with every word in your vocabulary, invent a few and move on. We don't need good folk like you setting a wrong example.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing, LM, and most of all for being honest. You're right to take corrective action upon yourself and resume carrying. You never know.

It's soooo hard to not get miffed and try to "get back" at the other motorist. I've done it myself even though I know it's not the best idea to escalate. Best not to, and just quietly mumble rude insults under the breath and avoid any overt reaction or one-finger salutes.

Good description of the situation, too. Something similar has happened to most of us.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    44special wrote: »
    Next time just curse with every word in your vocabulary, invent a few and move on.

I just smile at them. Then they look dumb founded at the unexpected response.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    44special wrote: »
    LML, the jerk was driving wrong, your bride was wrong and you were wrong. Since you didn't get out or were armed, no harm done. Next time just curse with every word in your vocabulary, invent a few and move on. We don't need good folk like you setting a wrong example.

I completely agree here. Although, I think if you and your wife were carrying, neither of you would have reacted that way. I find that when I carry, I become even more mellow in my reaction to stupid drivers. I simply think to myself if I get into a back and forth, and the situation escalates, I'd more likely get into legal trouble that not worth going bankrupt or go to jail for.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    While I appreciate the assessments, I'm not exactly sure what I did "wrong," since I did nothing but stare at him...

NRA Endowment Member
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    While I appreciate the assessments, I'm not exactly sure what I did "wrong," since I did nothing but stare at him...

I personally feel that staring in such an incident creates further tension and could have lead to escalation of the situation. It didn't, but it could have. The flip side could be that your staring caused him to back down. Maybe wrong is a strong word, simply "would not have done it".

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama