Home Main Category Personal Defense

Shots fired outside the other night

joseph06joseph06 MemberPosts: 133 Member
Woke up about 2am Thursday night/Friday morning to the sound of about 5 shots, fired fast, coming from what sounded like the parking lot outside. I live on the second floor in a corner apartment (with brick walls, no less) so there wasn't really any great threat to me, but I pretty much instinctively rolled out of bed with my M13 .357 in hand and stayed low for about 45 seconds after the last shot. I looked out the window, keeping close to the wall, and didn't see anyone that was armed or appeared hit, but there was some yelling coming from around the corner in the alley. I saw a couple vehicles moving a bit suspiciously, but couldn't tell if they were involved in the shooting or just onlookers. I was going to call 911, but heard sirens within 2 minutes of the shots--I live in downtown Omaha and there's cops pretty close by most of the time...generally out doing DUI patrols. I toyed with the idea of going outside to see if anyone was hit, but frankly I thought about it decided that without a ton of first aid gear and with cops on the way, there probably wasn't much I could do and if there was a still a threat outside, I didn't want to walk in to the middle of a gunfight. I watched the cops show up and secure the area, and then went back to bed after it looked there were no injuries/arrests.

I'm not sure I would do anything different if the same thing happened again, and I've lived here for two years and haven't had anything like this ever happen before, so I'm not too concerned. I am curious to see if the apartment company makes any official statement, since it's such an out of character event for this neighborhood. Any thoughts from you guys?

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Staying inside is the best plan. Unless it was you or yours that was in trouble, or you are a ________(fill in the Public Servant role here) that would be required to help, save your own backside.

:that:

The only thing I'd add is in your situation IF you call use a prepaid cell phone (Wally World has 'em cheap and I have 1 as a backup incase Verzion screws up again) so you are not involved. I would not want to have any chance of being in any report that is filed for public record either.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    joseph06 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would do anything different if the same thing happened again, and I've lived here for two years and haven't had anything like this ever happen before, so I'm not too concerned. I am curious to see if the apartment company makes any official statement, since it's such an out of character event for this neighborhood. Any thoughts from you guys?

Rest assured...you did the right thing, unless you or yours are involved, just stay in the house and report it with all the info you can provide. I can see where, if you live in an area where this doesn't happen frequently, it might be disconcerting.

Back in my old neighborhood, "shots fired" were a nightly occurrence. I'd roll over, call 911, let them know the number of shots, approximate location, whether it was pistol, shotgun or rifle fire (if you can tell) and go back to sleep
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,844 Senior Member
    You did right.
    Happened here once, a shoot out at the house across the intersection. After seeing to the safety of the Granddaughters, I turned on the scanner and when I saw and heard the LEO's were looking in the wrong spot I called it in.

Our house was not hit, a tree in the front yard was, and worst of all I heard the bullets passing by the bedroom window which was open.

Leo's killed the tree digging the bullet out.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Sounds like you did the best thing. You were prepared but apparently didn't need to take action.

Going outside just to see what was happening would probably not be the best idea. At the very least, you might find yourself being temporarily detained by the cops -- they'd have zero way to know you weren't a perp at first -- which would take time away from their needing to find the real baddies.

I live right in the middle of Houston but my neighborhood is one of those "neartown" residential places, lots of well-kept apartments, townhouses, private homes. There are plenty of high-crime neighborhoods but not right in the vicinity. Sounds much like where you live in Omaha.

It's been ages, lemme think, maybe 8-9 years since I've actually heard gunfire.

Yeah, you did the right thing: remained prepared and alert, but didn't stick your nose in either.

I'm not saying we should do the Kitty Genovese thing and ignore anyone who genuinely needs help, but apparently the cops had this well in hand and your discretion was correct.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    Joseph, a couple of years ago local LEOs were involved in a shootout in the apartment complex that borders our property to the south. As soon as the shooting started I went and armed myself. (We didn't know it was 2 LEOS vs 1 armed felon at the time)
    Wife said, "You don't need to go down there and get involved in whatever is going on down there." to which I replied, "I'm not going down there, I'm just getting prepared in case they come up HERE."

So, as far as I'm concerned, you handled it in the best manner available.
    You were equipped to defend yourself if necessary. You were in a relatively safe location, and your name is on no one's report :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    :that:

The only thing I'd add is in your situation IF you call use a prepaid cell phone (Wally World has 'em cheap and I have 1 as a backup incase Verzion screws up again) so you are not involved. I would not want to have any chance of being in any report that is filed for public record either.

This ain't a bad idea either. A while back I called the police about an extra loud neighbor only to have said neighbor get pissy with me later..."Cops said you got a problem with me"? The only reason I didn't go over and try dealing with the guy in the first place is because he's a class A piece of fecal matter. If I'd wanted him to know I had a problem with him, I'd have started the whole thing off myself. As it was he ended up being evicted a short time later, though I'd have prefered things went down differently.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    I usually keep a dozen or so nontraceable cellphones handy, plus several sets of new ID papers in case I have to phone the police, then go under the radar. It's hard enough dodging the black helicopters without having to move to a new place every few months or so... not.

I've actually intervened twice at least. It was about 2003 when my girlfriend and I were wakened by female screaming. Just across our normally quiet side street, two men were stomping the hell out of this woman. She was down and they were kicking away or jumping on her stomach, taking turns.

I pulled on my jeans, had girlfriend call 911, and then I went out with a big Maglight in one hand, 1911 in the other. Yelled at the guys, who hesitated then ran off, luckily for all of us. Cops arrived soon after, took the gal to the ER. The attackers and the woman were total strangers but I wasn't about to see a woman stomped to death -- or badly injured -- and just sit at my window till the cops showed. I'm not one to intervene but that crossed the line.
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    Thanks for the words, guys--my front door is right next to the stair well that leads to the parking lot where the shots came from, so I'm glad I immediately armed myself and was ready to take any action, in the event someone ran up the stairs and tried to beat down my door, or the like. Part of my really doesn't like the idea of some innoncent bleeding on the concrete while I wait upstairs, but I also know, like you all have said, that a) there's a good chance you'll get detained by the cops, especially if you have a gun, and b) it's not wise to get involved in other people's problems. And, frankly, I'm not sure there's much I could do for someone--I've had a little bit of first aid training from the Air Force, but I don't have any major medical supplies on hand. If I'd looked out the window and seen someone laying the in the street, I would have gone down to try and help, but as things were I think I'd do the same thing over again.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    joseph06 wrote: »
    If I'd looked out the window and seen someone laying the in the street, I would have gone down to try and help, but as things were I think I'd do the same thing over again.
    Going to help the bleeding person, with minimal first aid training and equip, without knowing what the situation is, could be a VERY bad idea.

A known "moonbat" stabbed her son, then as soon as EMS started working on him, (he was sitting on the front porch) reached out the front door and swatted one of the volunteers in the head with a skillet yelling, "I stabbed him and #%$^ ___%$^# it I meant him to stay stabbed"

I'll give the 911 dispatcher the best information I can about location, threats, potential number of casualties, but even as a licensed paramedic, I ain't going out and get involved. Without my equipment, not a whole lot I can do.

Trying to remove someone from a threatening situation is one thing, getting involved in all the legal BS afterwards is a whole nother ball of wax
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Agreed. Unless you're trained, even as a civilian, in first aid, trying to render aid can sometimes harm the person more. I guess pressing a cloth flat across an obviously bleeding wound might be sensible but there's very little else the untrained person can safely do.

When that woman was being attacked about 100 feet from my front door, I really couldn't just stay inside and listen to her scream in pain for help, and the 2 guys showed no signs of stopping.

When I went outside I was still standing on my property as I yelled at the guys to stop, shined the big light right into their eyes and tried to sound gruff. I didn't say I was a cop but I guess in retrospect they thought i was until they got close enough to see I wore jeans and pullover. But they did see the 1911 and pointed at them, it must have seemed to have a 2" muzzle. Whatever the reason, they decided to take off instead of confront me. Yes the safety was then off and I had aimed. I'm happy I didn't have to fire.

Cops arrived a minute after the guys ran off, gal they beat was a druggie streetwalker but nobody deserves a vicious stomping. Few broken ribs but no bad injuries. Cops said I did good, one cop privately told me I should have shot both the guys just because. He was half kidding but half serious.