Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ohio gun shop owner killed during concealed carry class

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,790 Senior Member
    Malfunction drills. . .you DO know that live ammo isn't necessarily needed for those, right?:bang:

One of the risks we run, but, :bang:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,013 Senior Member
    Prayers for the family. This is a good reminder guys Rule #1!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Classroom? Any class I have been involved in requires all live ammo to be stored in a closet. The instructors double check all firearms are unloaded as students enter the classroom as well as students next to each other. We use "gun ropes" which are basically yellow or orange paracord ties run thru the muzzle and out the bottom of the mag well to help show no round is chambered. The only thing allowed to be chambered are dummy rounds like these ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KZ357G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CKSWWUOJ35J and then most of the time they are used on the range with muzzle down range.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Sad very sad. No ammo in any class rooms I have been in. Live ammo on the range only and a good instructor always checks to see if you have the right ammunition. (caliber)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    Ignorance will keep making the case for advanced instruction before a CCW is issued...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Ignorance will keep making the case for advanced instruction before a CCW is issued...

And yet, there are no accidents in classes that are never held. Go figure.
    horselips wrote: »

And less accidents occur in the presence of non-morons.

I'm not saying I'm for mandatory classes for CCW proficiency.

I'm making more of a case against idiot "instructors" who get a basic NRA certification and start teaching classes without bothering to sterilize the class of ammo before doing whatever they were doing. Or overloading the student-to-instructor ratio, etc.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Kinda along the lines of what Jason said ...

The classes with students with lesser experience need more experienced instructors because of the students lower level of awareness of safety. A First Steps, Basics or such are where good instructors instill the 4 Basic Rules of Safety! FOUNDATIONS! If the earlier instructors don't lay a solid foundation for new shooters then it can get dicey ... or should I say dangerous. Classroom ratios can be a little more lax but range work with newer shooters needs a better instructor to student ratio than many I have seen to keep it safe ... 2 instructors for 30 students is crazy!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Wow, what an idiotic statement. If one is to carry, one needs to train. One will perform how one practiced.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

I take it the Student failed the course...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    And less accidents occur in the presence of non-morons.

I'm not saying I'm for mandatory classes for CCW proficiency.

I'm making more of a case against idiot "instructors" who get a basic NRA certification and start teaching classes without bothering to sterilize the class of ammo before doing whatever they were doing. Or overloading the student-to-instructor ratio, etc.

I mean we need to apply the safety we're trying to teach the class to the class. We're not there to only tell the students how to be safe, we're there to also Demonstrate what we're trying to teach.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    [QUOTE If one is to carry, one needs to train.[/QUOTE]

A given; but, where is this thread going
    seems it is going as "you must be trained my way"; and who gets to decide.
    I hope this is not the case, because there are may forms of training that are recognized for a carry permit that may not your definition;
    but, just might meet mine and the local Sherriff's definition.
    NN wrote: »
    [QUOTE If one is to carry, one needs to train.
    A given; but, where is this thread going
    seems it is going as "you must be trained my way"; and who gets to decide.
    I hope this is not the case, because there are may forms of training that are recognized for a carry permit that may not your definition;
    but, just might meet mine and the local Sherriff's definition.

My personal opinion is that anyone who wants to have a CCW should take a basic and advanced training course. Take your pick of them... Costa Ludas, Haley Strategic, Tactical Response, Valor Ridge, etc, etc, etc.

Just arbitrarily carrying a weapon in public, to me, is like buying a plane without a license and taking 500 passengers with you on your first flight.

But I also differentiate my personal opinions from the pragmatism of personal liberties and Constitutional force of law.
    :that: It shouldn't be mandatory to get advanced training, but I think one would WANT to get enough training to be comfortable with their chosen CCW in a dynamic situation.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion...even if it ranks very high on the stupid scale...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion...even if it ranks very high on the stupid scale...

And if he didn't have a keyboard his comments wouldn't happen. :tooth: