Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Reporter's attempt to expose background checks backfires

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    A alcoholic wife beating liberal fails background check for a weapon of war. :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,660 Senior Member
    Saw this before. My thought is if he has a history of domestic violence, is he not now a felon for lying on the 4473?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,635 Senior Member
    Saw this before. My thought is if he has a history of domestic violence, is he not now a felon for lying on the 4473?

He would be....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,345 Senior Member
    He may have lied on the 4473. Domestic violence disqualifies him, but isn't necessarily a felony.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    He may have lied on the 4473. Domestic violence disqualifies him, but isn't necessarily a felony.

Gene I am no lawyer however: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473

The important part here reads: The Form 4473 contains name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, and a short affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. It contains make, model, or serial number on page three of the six page form. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison[2] in addition to fines, even if the transaction is simply denied by the NICS. Prosecutions are rare in the absence of another felony committed with the gun purchased

Seems like another one of those laws that we already have, just need to be enforced.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,345 Senior Member
    I should be clearer. An arrest for domestic violence disqualifies one for buying a firearm. I don't remember the details of 4473, I do remember felony disqualifications and he clearly was not qualified but maybe not for committing a felony. However, not all domestic violence cases are felonies. Most are misdemeanors. Depends on the degree of domestic violence.

Edited: Generally, reporters pursuing a story have a far greater level of immunity (Amendment 1) than non-reporters. I guess technically, he COULD be charged for lying on a 4473, but won't. I don't think he had any intention of actually possessing the gun, he wanted to make a point...which failed.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    Nothing happened to that clown the waved a 30 round mag on Meet the Press, either!!
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,776 Senior Member
    At least he proved that you don't need to have a high level of intelligence to be a reporter.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    He was neither arrested nor convicted for domestic violence. The gun store in question learned about the domestic violence thing and refused the sale. Gun stores can refuse a sale for any reason, or no reason at all.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams