Home Main Category Hunting

Pig Hunt w/ the .308 Win Specialty Pistol

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,972 Senior Member
Took off yesterday evening to the field I shoot pigs for a rancher. Planned on getting there before dark on the off chance they might come out in daylight. Parked at the gate and walked across the field to the far back corner where they often enter the field from the adjoining property.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%201_zpsxddzbnby.jpg

As I crossed the field, I noticed the neighbor, whose property the pigs come from, out target practicing with an AR on his makeshift range. So much for pigs coming out before dark. Changed direction from the corner I intended to sit at and headed to a high point in the ryegrass where I could watch the cut wheat, ryegrass, and stock tank.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%203%20-%20Copy_zpsewdc7vcx.jpg

That is the stock tank berm behind me.

Found a a bare spot in the grass and took a seat.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%2011_zpsi5cvclbb.jpg

That big high line pole is on the neighbors property and the corner of the field where the pigs enter the cut wheat and where I can shoot them. Consequently, it's where my pig this evening would enter as well.

From this spot, I watched the neighbor zero his AR, watched the cutter ants harvest around me, listened to the Mosquitos buzz in my ear, and the sun set over the tank behind me.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%2015_zpsexs3pcbt.jpg

Just before dark, the neighbor finished his range session and headed for the house. So, I got up, crossed the H-Brace in front of me, and headed out to sit in the cut wheat.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%2013_zps1wxilkw8.jpg

For reference, the pig I later shot was about halfway between me and the highline pole in front and to the left in the picture. He was also about halfway between the pole and the left edge of the pic at the shot.

As the sun sunk below the horizon, deer began to come out of the woods and feed in the fields.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%2014_zpsckw4omkb.jpg

In the twilight, the full moon began to rise into the sky and light up the field. The deer came closer as I watched them in the scope. A beautiful night.

Then, as I watched one young buck through the scope as he fed along the fence line bordering the cut wheat and the neighbors property, I noticed him look up and stare towards the tree line. Looking to my left, I saw a boar come under the fence corner at the highline pole and trot out into the cut wheat. In the short wheat stubble, I laid prone and tracked him on the bipod. Not an easy thing. I kept having to pick up the pistol, shift it right, and track him some more. I was hoping he'd stop before he got in line with the neighbors house. But, as he kept moving out into the field as though on a mission to get somewhere, I decided it was time to shoot before the house was in the back ground.

I repositioned the pistol one more time, picked him up in my sight picture, followed him briefly as he walked, and put a 168gr A-Max through his shoulder.

At the shot, flames shot out of the barrel (now visible in the dark as opposed to the daylight range trip). I lost sight of the boar in the recoil. Quickly, I regained my sight picture in time to see legs kicking up above the wheat stubble as he lay on the ground thrashing. In a few seconds, it was all over and he was still.

Scanning around in in case there were more, I only saw a few fleeing deer and others standing around wondering what had just happened. Picked up my gear and walked the 60 yards to the boar.

308%20Bolt%20Action%20SP%20Pig%206-19-16%2022_zpsf3xjrhtl.jpg

He wasn't a huge one. Maybe 150ish pounds. But, even at that, and with the close distance, the A-Max didn't exit the off side shield. It dumped all it had in him and dropped him on the spot. Lots of bone and gristle to penetrate.

DSCN4023_zpsvomyk9gp.jpg

The pistol worked like a champ. Steady as a rock with the bipod and rear bag. I'm really liking this rig. Gonna be fun times ahead.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,146 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    150 pounds? That is a good eating size!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    150 pounds? That is a good eating size!

If it were a sow, yes. For a feral pig that is plenty big and old enough to have picked up a funk.

Great write up as usual sir.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Beautiful. Not at all unexpected with the A-max on a pig and, as you said, I definitely think there will be more good times ahead for that rig.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,710 Senior Member
    Nice story
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    As always... SLAYER!

Great story and pics... you make the hunt and posting all the info and pictures look so easy it is starting to be expected. Thanks again for posting it all up.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Great write-up and pics!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,972 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Beautiful. Not at all unexpected with the A-max on a pig and, as you said, I definitely think there will be more good times ahead for that rig.

I've had several lodge in the off side shield with perfect expansion. Pigs are simply THINK critters! A bullet that will easilyexit a pig is often too hard for deer and such. At least................in my experience.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    As always... SLAYER!

Great story and pics... you make the hunt and posting all the info and pictures look so easy it is starting to be expected. Thanks again for posting it all up.

D

My penance for sucking so bad in highschool English.

Thanks.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Once again an all around Well Done. Position, shooting pics and story. Thanks for sharing your experience
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj wrote: »
    Wish you would quit being irresponsible and using target bullets. They are obviously a failure. You make me sick.

What I live for.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Once again an all around Well Done. Position, shooting pics and story. Thanks for sharing your experience

Much grats. I try.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    you sir- need a bi pod with a swivel
    you sir- need a bi pod with a swivel

Define "swivel". Mine is the Harris version that tilts (swivels) left and right. It does not, however, pan left and right.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    Been looking forward to this report ever since you posted up about the new rig. You didn't disappoint me. Good hustle.

Just wondering if you could get a certain redneck pita to build you a swiveling/panning gun rest..............he has the tools and has made what appears to be a rifle rest. I am sure his creative talents are capable of building something that might work...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    I used one at the range that had a universal any direction swivel- up, down, right, left- it was excellent. Mounted to the forward sling point on a bolt action. I have no idea who made it.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Been looking forward to this report ever since you posted up about the new rig. You didn't disappoint me. Good hustle.

Just wondering if you could get a certain redneck pita to build you a swiveling/panning gun rest..............he has the tools and has made what appears to be a rifle rest. I am sure his creative talents are capable of building something that might work...........

This is what I typically use in the field with both rifle and pistol.

http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/spec-rest/

In the short (sitting) version. It's pretty darn nice. More stable for pistol than rifle even. But, it obviously ain't a lightweight. So, not great for stalking or long walks.

On the lighter side, I use a BOG Pod with PSR top. But, this particular Specialty Pistol is too long and heavy for that rest.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    I'd rather read your documented stories than anything written by the hacks called outdoors writers today!! They're all Zombos IMHO.

Nice write up and, as usual, great pictures!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I'd rather read your documented stories than anything written by the hacks called outdoors writers today!! They're all Zombos IMHO.

Nice write up and, as usual, great pictures!

Wow! Thanks!

:blushing:
    Zee wrote: »
    Wow! Thanks!

:blushing:

We'd like to see that blushing face!!
    toothless.jpg
    :spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee:
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,187 Senior Member
    Handloads or storebought? Bullet weight? Excellent, patient hunt and excellent write-up.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
    Handloads or storebought? Bullet weight? Excellent, patient hunt and excellent write-up.

I mentioned it was a 168gr A-Max bullet but I failed to relay that it's factory Hornady ammo. Sorry. And thanks!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Awesome, as usual. I think the myths about those "target bullets" is soundly debunked.

How often do you keep the meat? I would think your freezer is never empty.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Good hunt and good shooting! That is a very cool handgun.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Awesome, as usual. I think the myths about those "target bullets" is soundly debunked.

How often do you keep the meat? I would think your freezer is never empty.

I keep or give away as much as I can. My chest and stand up freezer are full to the brim.

The rank boars, I leave.
    timc wrote: »
    Good hunt and good shooting! That is a very cool handgun.

Thanks.