Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Battle of San Jacinto

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewitt/sanjacintotaylor.htm

Pretty interesting. There's some differences from other accounts I've read, but the main story line is pretty factual as compared with other accounts. One difference is in this account Sam Houston responds favorably to Santa Anna's plea for leniency because they are both Masons. But in other accounts he doesn't because, and this is factual truth, Santa Anna Demitted Masonry in 1832 and made it illegal for anyone to practice Masonry in Texas.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Growing up in Texas, San Jacinto is one of my favorite historical events. I will read the link, thanks!

Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    There are lots of amazing stories about Masons at war. During our Civil War, there was a Union soldier due to be passed from the 1st degree (Entered Apprentice) to the 2nd degree (Fellowcraft), but there was no military Lodge available. However, there was a town with a Lodge just behind the Confederate lines. They were asked and agreed, so the Yankee was spirited through the lines to the Lodge, the degree was conferred, and he was then repatriated to his own side. His ultimate fate in the war is unknown.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    There are lots of amazing stories about Masons at war. During our Civil War, there was a Union soldier due to be passed from the 1st degree (Entered Apprentice) to the 2nd degree (Fellowcraft), but there was no military Lodge available. However, there was a town with a Lodge just behind the Confederate lines. They were asked and agreed, so the Yankee was spirited through the lines to the Lodge, the degree was conferred, and he was then repatriated to his own side. His ultimate fate in the war is unknown.

Also, there were some accounts stated in the history of the Civil War where before a major battle around a township where a lodge was, Masons from both sides would meet secretly before the battle and would take the jewels and charter of that lodge to a place of safe keeping. Then after the battle, if the lodge building was still standing they would put those items back where they got them.

And one more, in WWII there is at least one account where a downed American Flyer who was a Mason was taken care of by German soldiers who were Masons and transported safely back to American lines. Masons have risked their lives for their brothers.

However, I must say much to my Chagrin, when we were coming home after the 2010 SE Shoot, my fuel pump on my Suburban gave up the ghost and I was stranded about 5 miles out of Lake Charles, I tried to flag down help using a certain signal. Now this was on Memorial Day and there had to be 10,000 cars pass me while I was out there in the heat, and I know there had to have been at least 100 Masons pass me and knew that sign. Not one stopped. Except one, a Black Mason cop from a black lodge not regularly recognised by the Grand Lodge of Texas, who helped me and got a wrecker to get my car to Lake Charles to a shop that he knew to be open on a Sunday Holiday. That guy saved my bacon. To this day and forever, I recognize all who are Masons as brothers no matter their color. I won't automatically share certain secrets if their lodge isn't recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas, but I will treat them with respect due a brother. Nuff Said!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.