Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Gen (ret) Petraeus in favor gun control

2»

Replies

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Tugar wrote: »
    This from the same asshats that would put us in town in a foreign country with one buddy, guarding something and were told to "fake it" with empty mags. So if a crowd shows up, I have little recourse but to take a beating, and they end up with two M16A2's.

Or transporting 240 M16A2's, 4 M2HB's and 6 M60's with the E-5 having THREE ROUNDS in his 1911 and the guy with him and his M16...ZERO.

While I am pro-military, there are some REALLY STUPID rules out there.

If that is his attitude....with all due respect, he has no freaking clue.
    I remember Army basic training in 1978. We did guard duty on empty buildings. I had a 20 round magazine in my pocket loaded with 3 live rounds for my well worn Colt AR-15. Selective fire but no forward bolt assist. Of course this was training. Decades later (2000) I was in Tusla Bosnia. I was NCOIC of a 12 member group on a bus tour of the town. We were required to carry our weapons and ammunition. They wanted to tour an Eastern Orthodox church where weapons were not allowed. As I had previously toured a couple of these churches in Greece I volunteered to guard the weapons. Following Rules of Engagement (RoE) when on guard duty we were allowed to insert loaded magazines in weapons but not chamber a round. I did that for my M-16A2 rifle and M-9 pistol. The local civilians didn't even seem to notice the stacked rifles.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    There have been many officers that have made good account of themselves in battle and leading our troops and making sure the troops got what they needed. But some have failed miserably as civilians.

Two officers turned politician that I respect were Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy. I guess respect for the Constitution is a learned behavior; these two got that and acted accordingly.

Petraeus may have been a fine battlefield officer, but he doesn't seem to be able to make the transition to civilian, and his views on gun control are contrary to the oath he swore to on enlistment. I can overlook some things, but THAT is not something I will overlook, not ever.
    My favorite Presidents are Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, and Reagan. I have sworn the Oath of Office 5 times. It was only required once but every 6 years when I extended my enlistment I had an officer reaffirm my oath. I am now over 6 years retired but as far as I know the oath has no expiration date.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I remember Army basic training in 1978. We did guard duty on empty buildings. I had a 20 round magazine in my pocket loaded with 3 live rounds.
    Funny how they do that.

When I was at Quantico they had a wild dog problem, so, when we had to go on a compass EX alone; they gave us a full mag of blanks for our M-14s.
    No one was threatened.