Home Main Category Hunting

Do you ever hunt by yourself?

2»

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Jay, you have some good ideas there. Next time I'll find somebody like you to teach me. This stuff could save your life. Also, I've seen tight fitting thin but insulated body suits that hold your body heat in.

I like those instant heat packs you crush for heat right now, and the magnesium fire starters they sell at Harbor Freight, a Zippo is good too, between them you should get a fire started, a 6 meter SSB radio for those that can use one is a pretty good idea too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Also, I've seen tight fitting thin but insulated body suits that hold your body heat in.

Here ya go, www.hotchillys.com About 10 years ago right after the H A my wife told me about them, they looked so thin I thought they will never keep me warm, anyhow I tried hers on, it was Oct. and at 8500" were we lived it was cold and I spent most of the day outside and stayed warm, that nite I ordered 3 pair, they kept me warm down to about +10, much colder and ya need to put your thermals on over them. If ya want my recipe for stick napalm PM me.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • 22shooter1422shooter14 New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    I find it much more fun to hunt with a couple friends. Although If I do hunt by myself I tend to get better results.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I find it much more fun to hunt with a couple friends. Although If I do hunt by myself I tend to get better results.

Yeah, maybe, but sometimes when there's other people around they will scare game up and keep it moving which will present more shots.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I used to hunt by myself a lot up to a week at a time. The ranch I hunted on for 25 years with two other guys was difficult to get everyone together at times so I spent a lot of time by myself. That was the reason I eventually gave the place up. As I crossed over into the more mature time of life the wife made me promise not to head of into the woods alone anymore.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    That was imprinted on me very early in hunters ED class. They showed us a video that went over a couple of real life deaths in the woods. One was a fishing column writer from a paper who went out to a new secret location. He slipped and went under, ended up dying from hypothermia. Took a long time to find him because he hadn't told anyone where he was going.

I used to have that video when I taught Hunter Ed. It had like 4 or 5 scenarios of that. One other one I remember was the guy that took his wife and son on a mountain hike one afternoon and he hadn't checked the weather. A couple guys met them on the way up and warned him there was some bad weather coming in. But he arrogantly said they'd be ok. He killed him self and his wife and kid because he didn't listen to advice. A cold front moved in that evening and the temperature dropped about 50 degrees that night and they froze to death. Only his dog survived.

Then there was the guy that was hunting with his old hunting group but got separated. He kept walking when he realized he was lost instead of sitting down and building a fire and waiting for the group to find him. They found him in the snow the next morning close to a logging road. He didn't die, but he had to have several fingers and toes amputated due to frost bite. That's some spooking crap right there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tealmantealman New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    Nope! I'm basically a people person and the fellowship while hunting is probably more important than the chase. That's why I have liked duck hunting all my life - get to talk and share without being worried too much about scaring the game off. My younger brother (now 60) does it all the time but he's Daniel Boone Jr and likes it, although age is taking it's toll.