Home Main Category Personal Defense

BUG carry question

QuinianQuinian Senior MemberPosts: 707 Senior Member
So I got myself a new BUG/I don't wanna carry a heavy gun today gun, though as a BUG I'm not sure where to put it. Having two IWB is a bit more crap around my waist than I prefer and my ankle holster is a little bit bulky. And no, I am NOT gonna be rockin a man purse lol Where would you guys stuff a revolver? So far I've only used the ankle holster once and didn't really care for it. The gun has been getting a lot of carry time solo though because it's just so nice and light and easy to hide in summer clothes

And here's the pic cause I haveta brag a little. It's a S&W 360pd with some underwood XPs cause I'm about 99% more likely to be shooting a large animal than a person around here. It's a bit snappy with 357s in it but still controllable
38.jpg 56.9K

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Nice piece. I can't advise on carry. Seems like the IWB you don't like would be best. A high ride OWB could hide under a shirt.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,988 Senior Member
    Pocket carry in an Uncle Mikes,

1466DAB4-37C5-451D-B1C5-877FA65A32DA_zpsu8malqyw.jpg

J frame is my 431pd.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    didn't think about the pocket. I'd have to move my phone but that could work for sure
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,774 Senior Member
    :applause::up::up:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    I have a Ruger LCR that sometimes is my primary carry piece and sometimes a BUG...Pocket carry is one option - easy to do if you wear 5.11s...If its jacket weather it's even easier. When I'm pocket carrying the little revolver goes into an inexpensive Uncle Mikes Holster. The wife carries an LC9 in a Sticky Holster...works well for her.

On to ankle holsters...unless you have very short legs, those things will get your ass killed...a bad idea from their inception....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Quinian wrote: »
    didn't think about the pocket. I'd have to move my phone but that could work for sure

Could even go weak side with a BUG. My 431pd fits in my left or right cargo pants pocket on my thigh. I prefer it in my right cargo pocket when I drive the truck.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,989 Senior Member
    I'd go pocket. I think ankle holsters are just a small step above leaving your gun at home. OK maybe if you're taken hostage. Plus they print to an observant person.

A pocket holster is the only suggestion I have. It's how I carry my small pistol. I carried a Model 38 for years without a holster at all and while it got dirty and scuffed a bit, it didn't seem to bother its function.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    If you're going where you think you might need a gun and a backup gun, don't go there. Go somewhere else.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    If you're going where you think you might need a gun and a backup gun, don't go there. Go somewhere else.

Sometimes you just have to go there...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sometimes you just have to go there...

Better you than me. Be careful out there.

lol fair enough. Then again, the main town is 65 miles from me, I somehow always end up there after dark, and dark is when the meth zombies come out o.O
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,530 Senior Member
    There are some folks who you need to listen to, and others you don't need to listen to.

Horse is one of the second group. Personally, I've never had much need for a BUG, but that doesn't mean I don't have one and haven't figured out how to carry it. :wink:

I found out that I can carry a J-frame in appendix carry somewhat easier since I lost a bit of weight. Can't carry my 5" 1911, even though some do, but I can do the J-frame.
    Overkill is underrated.
    There are some folks who you need to listen to, and others you don't need to listen to.

Horse is one of the second group. Personally, I've never had much need for a BUG, but that doesn't mean I don't have one and haven't figured out how to carry it. :wink:

I found out that I can carry a J-frame in appendix carry somewhat easier since I lost a bit of weight. Can't carry my 5" 1911, even though some do, but I can do the J-frame.

I had some time to think about this for home defense this AM and since I have multiple choices anyway, I believe in a situation where I needed to walk the house I would prefer a "New York Reload" over a mag change. Why? First if I need more than 6 rounds inside my home I am in a world of poo, and second, if I had a malfunction in a high stress situation I might just go to the second gun rather than stress about a fixing it on the fly. Carry reloads is certainly advisable.

YMMV...

D
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    So I got myself a new BUG/I don't wanna carry a heavy gun today gun, though as a BUG I'm not sure where to put it. Having two IWB is a bit more crap around my waist than I prefer and my ankle holster is a little bit bulky. And no, I am NOT gonna be rockin a man purse lol Where would you guys stuff a revolver? So far I've only used the ankle holster once and didn't really care for it. The gun has been getting a lot of carry time solo though because it's just so nice and light and easy to hide in summer clothes

And here's the pic cause I haveta brag a little. It's a S&W 360pd with some underwood XPs cause I'm about 99% more likely to be shooting a large animal than a person around here. It's a bit snappy with 357s in it but still controllable

Hey, my S&W 586 with full underlug 8 3/8"Barrel shooting full house .357s is a bit "SNAPPY!"

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Belly band style, or "Thunderwear" are both good options.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,032 Senior Member
    If you are going to carry front pocket, most Carhartts will handle this and Ralph Lauren Polo khakis have excellent pockets for this, you need to try pants on with your BUG, some won't work. I saw an email from Polo, the khakis are like 45$ this weekend, that is a pretty good price. Sierra Outdoors is the place to find the Carhartt's.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think more in terms of a Get-Orffa-Me Gun, rather than a BUG, if you have a holstered sidearm, there are times you may not be able to un-holster, without it giving you away, enter a pocket gun, small enough to discretely draw from your pocket and fire at an assailant, without giving away the fact you are drawing a firearm.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,466 Senior Member

Desantis Super Fly: http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY

Gun on the strong side to deal with stuff; cell phone on the weak side to summon help while dealing with stuff.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member

That is literally anywhere. Enjoy the rock you live under.

I carry a spare mag for my Shield or M&P9 as part of my EDC. Is that excessive?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »

A spare mag is one thing, a backup gun is quite another. But, to each his own. If it makes you feel good, do it.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    As a civilian, I carried more than one sidearm only once in my adult life. When Dear Leader was inaugurated for his second term, there was a lot of chatter about threats, and while I had taken the day off, I still had stuff to do. If he got popped and stuff hit the fan, I planned to return home safely.

So I had my S&W40 (15 rds) with an extra mag in an OWB strongside; my M&P9c (12 rds) IWB SOB, and my old KelTec PF9 in my right hip pocket. A good stiff belt kept things from getting embarrassing.

Nowadays I really don't consider carrying a BUG. If 15+20 rounds of .40 plus an Emerson CQC7 can't save my butt, another 5 .38s or 7 9mms aren't going to make a difference.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Lately, I have been happy with my XDs45 or my 9mm Shield in a front pocket. It prints in most pockets, but I don't really care much, since OC is now legal for me. I have a kydex pocket holster that makes it solid and safe, and easy to draw if the pocket is big enough. I guess you could call it a BUG, since I usually stick a full sized weapon in a tote bag when I get in my vehicle.
    for me the bug is in case my strong side is injured or to toss to the wife when her stupid bursa 380 runs out of ammo. she refuses to carry anything bigger/higher cap or a spare mag and recently the crimes in my area have all been committed by groups of 4 or more. Also most people doing the violent stuff out here have been on drugs. I know some of you guys were leos and prolly know how little effect getting shot can sometimes have when they're all hopped up on something. I don't trust any mythical 1 shot stop, plus I was trained to shoot in controlled pairs so I will likely dump 4 rounds into the first guy. With the wifes gun that's half the mag.

I have a couple IWBs for it I picked up when I got the gun. The few times I've worn it as a BUG I just used one of them on my other side. The cylinder isn't really too big so it's not bad and the over all size is so small it tucks in really well. Guess I need some new pants (see my other thread) so I can pocket carry more often. That's a no go with jeans
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

For a avg guy on the street? Spare mag? no. 10 spare mags? A kukri and a bowie in your shorts? Second handgun and reloads for it? IMHO yep, getting into mall ninja territory. FOR THE AVG GUY, a LEO would be a different story because they are supposed to go places where smart people shouldnt. If its that bad where I need to go, then a hide away pocket pistol isnt what I want. I'm partly with Horse on this. If you are thinking that the place you are going to go will require a second weapon, then dont go there. However if you have to, really HAVE to, dont Richard around with a second handgun and if its not serious enough to commit, then you really dont need to be there. If it comes time to take a extra firearm, then I will have a rifle. 9/11 we had a major fiber cut, tensions were a bit high, the BUG wasnt a pocket pistol because I had to go and nothing was for sure that day. However to each his own. If it makes you feel better, then OK, but dont dismiss those who dont think a second compromise is the only way to go.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'm certainly not saying to not carry a BUG in your pocket, but I would caution y'all to really think about a situation in which you would use a BUG...

If the big gun goes down and the bad-guy is still doing bad-guy stuff, there's a definite possibility (probability?) you need the pop-gun real damn quick, cause he's over there still being a bad-guy... or he's right on top of you still being a bad-guy. In either case, this isn't a time that I want to be shoving hand down into my pocket in an attempt to get it back out rather promptly. IME doing some kind of physical activity (other than standing perfectly still with your leg straight), starting with your hands doing something else entirely (like fighting or dropping the big gun), and getting a pocket rocket into play quickly....are three things that rarely coincide.
    A bad guy says, Give Me Your wallet !
    You are carrying strong side,
    and Your pocket GetOrffaMe Gun / wallet holster, you surrender your wallet, and shoot Your assailant.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    What?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    cpj wrote: »
    He's a ninja. Don't ask.

Well, I learned from the best, CPJ.

I hope to be just like you when I grow up.

Not really.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member