Home Main Category Personal Defense

Houston attempted car theft goes bad -- for the robbers

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Houston -- a man caught some guys breaking into his girlfriend's car, apparently attempting to steal it. Gunfire ensued, the car of the thieves not getting far, due to the driver being shot dead, another robber wounded. People are more and more not taking these things passively.

Here's the story:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Homeowner-kills-suspected-car-thief-in-S-Houston-2296039.php

By the way, when it says the case will go to the grand jury, Texas law requires that all homicides, even if justified, pass through the grand jury. It doesn't say here but I'm assuming the county attorney will present the case without charges on the gunman protecting his girlfriend's car. That's of course depending on whether he's legally on safe ground. In Texas, "after sundown", you may use lethal force to prevent theft of your property or property of someone who entrusts you do defend it. No CCW required here, but the home-guy still might not be allowed to have a gun (ex felon). Story doesn't say.

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Based on what little there is in the story, he fired in defense of his life, so it should be a clean shoot. :beer: We need a lot more of this and there would be a lot less crime!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I don't know whether the events are getting publicized more, or whether they're happening more frequently, but I've noted a definite uptick in the number of self defense shootings here in Houston.

Cities like this where gun ownership is huge, I don't see the stats are in favor of the bad guys these days. At least I hope not.

Follow up news story is that the guy was ruled okay and no charges will be filed. A clean shoot, as you said.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I think people are starting to realize that the laws are finally in THEIR favor, and not in the criminal's favor anymore... in Texas at least. :up:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug