Does anyone here shoot a 222 rem Magnum.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,504 Senior Member
Just wondering.............?
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,355 Senior Member
    Not since the .223 made it irrelevant.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,643 Senior Member
    A what?!?

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,504 Senior Member
    Reason I am asking about a now obsolete caliber is that I was just checking on my reloading supplies and found a packet of what I thought were new 222 unprimed cases..........They didn't look right to me so I had a close look at the label which must have been written by a midget with small fingers ..............I actually had to get a magnifying glass to read the damn thing.

The label says they are 222 Rem Magnum brass..............I thought someone here might still have one tucked in the back of their gun cabinet.........
  • Bill M.Bill M. Member Posts: 64 Member
    I did for a long time but traded it for a 20 gauge O/U. The gun was a 20 gauge/.222 rem magnum (Vorer sp?) combination gun. The rifle barrel shot pretty well but I never could get the scope mounted so that it would not move when I touched off the 3" 20 gauge barrel a couple of times. The scope was on a dovetail and the shotgun barrel was on top so no drilling for mount. Still got the dies if anybody needs a set.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,175 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Just wondering.............?

I wish.

I have a .222 Remington, and love it. I've been intrigued by the magnum version ever since I got my .222, though. I have never even seen one, much lese shot one.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    One of my first guns was a Savage model 24 over and under. Top barrel was a .222 Rem and bottom barrel was a 20 ga. I loved the gun, actually it was the first gun I really turkey hunted with. The .222 rem shot great and for a single shot wasn't much recoil.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    You shoot a .204 Ruger, right? One trip through a resizing die, and guess what you've got? The case fireforms to the exact .204 chamber dimensions on the first firing. It's the base cartridge the .204 was developed on.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,504 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    You shoot a .204 Ruger, right? One trip through a resizing die, and guess what you've got? The case fireforms to the exact .204 chamber dimensions on the first firing. It's the base cartridge the .204 was developed on.
    Jerry

I thought I might do that Jerry but wanted to check and see if anyone on here still shot the parent case. I looked at most of the brass suppliers and saw that non of them had any 222rem Mag in stock and was going to donate them if someone did.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,141 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I thought I might do that Jerry but wanted to check and s
    e if anyone on here still shot the parent case. I looked at most of the brass suppliers and saw that non of them had any 222rem Mag in stock and was going to donate them if someone did.

The 222 Rem. Mag. betters the .223 by about a hundred FPS when handloaded. It was coming on strong til they came out with the .223. The only reason the .223 was chosen for the Military was because it was a hair shorter and ran through the M-16. The .222 Mag. was just a bit too long. But, in the early Bench Rest game, both the .222s proved a bit more accurate then the .223 due to the longer neck. That's picking at straws, but that's what Bench Rest guys do, Pick at Straws.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.