Need some quick gas tank repair advice

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 1,814 Senior Member
Just found a small hole in my 4 wheeler gas tank. No parts stores open till Monday in this town. But, my son , who's coming home tonight, can stop at auto zone tonight. What should I tell him to look/ask for other than "something to repair a small hole in a gas tank with"? I thought about screwing a small brass screw into the hole but I'd like to also use some kind of sealer around that too

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Whatever you do don't try welding it. A guy tried that around here a few years ago. Tank was empty, and fumes exploded and killed him.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    A screw just big enough to fill the hole and your favorite two part epoxy.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Gorilla Tape until then.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
    Whatever you do don't try welding it. A guy tried that around here a few years ago. Tank was empty, and fumes exploded and killed him.

Wish I could weld it.
    A screw just big enough to fill the hole and your favorite two part epoxy.

Dont8 have a favorite, what are suggestions?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,425 Senior Member
    There is a tube-shaped epoxy putty that's about the diameter of a finger that consists of two components that mix as a piece of the putty is cut off and kneaded together. Get the leaky area as dry as possible, sand any paint or rust off for an inch or so around the hole, and apply the mixed epoxy to the area at least 1/8" thick. It will need to harden at least overnight before putting gas back in the tank.

When that repair fails, as it's bound to do pretty soon, go buy yourself another tank. There is a simple, safe method of welding a gas tank. No, I'm not going to tell anybody how to do it!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I halfway entertained the idea of dumping a fire extinguisher in the tank then welding. But, I ain't got any beer nor anyone to hold it and watch:jester:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member

That guy was dumber than a rock. We weld them all the time, carbon monoxide is your friend.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Teach wrote: »
    There is a tube-shaped epoxy putty that's about the diameter of a finger that consists of two components that mix as a piece of the putty is cut off and kneaded together. Get the leaky area as dry as possible, sand any paint or rust off for an inch or so around the hole, and apply the mixed epoxy to the area at least 1/8" thick. It will need to harden at least overnight before putting gas back in the tank.

When that repair fails, as it's bound to do pretty soon, go buy yourself another tank. There is a simple, safe method of welding a gas tank. No, I'm not going to tell anybody how to do it!
    Jerry

My son is bringing me a Permatex brand product that sounds like that. And yes, I gotta see if I can find a gas tank for this old 4 wheeler. It's an 84 or 86 Honda 200 Fourtrax
    Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member

Jerry

I know how:wink:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,281 Senior Member
    I used that permatex on a minvan tank after running over a muffler/tailpipe. About a six in crack and that stuff stayed leak free for yrs. It's the stuff made for gas tank leaks.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Wish I could weld it.

Just drain it and flush with water then fill it up smoking full... of Water of course...

NO never mind just put the screw in it with the epoxy, but drain it first.
    Find you a brass screw and lube it with bar soap.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    There is a simple, safe method of welding a gas tank. No, I'm not going to tell anybody how to do it!
    Jerry

The one that I heard was "Fill it with water".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Here's another option:

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

:jester:
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Here's another option:

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

:jester:
    Jerry

I saw the same thing on the streets of Baghdad in 03, Taxis with gas cans tied to the roof, no hood, a line running down to the engine, gravity fed........I was impressed with their ingenuity.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    cpj wrote: »
    Plastic tank I assume?

No, it's metal
    Yes.

Here's one for an 84.
    Believe I'd try and patch it up.....

https://www.amazon.com/Clarke-11309-01-ATV-Tank-Honda/dp/B003HC8DIO

Ouch!!!! I paid $300 for the 4 wheeler and a 5x8 tilt bed trailer.

Don't think that tank would work. Close though
    I've seen a pickup truck at Jerrys with a boat gas tank in the bed and the hose running around the side of the truck and under the hood- - - - - -

That's my son's 4X4 that never leaves the farm. It sprung a leak in the gas tank a couple of years ago, and changing the tank was a beeotch. He fixed it the redneck way!
    Jerry
    Hmmm. Maybe it's the replacements that are plastic. 1984-1985 was the year most went from metal to plastic.
    But being metal makes the repair much easier.

I wondered about that too. But that plastic one doesn't look quite right.
    May not be. Just the first thing I found on Google. Should be able to find what the original looks like. I can just about promise you can't find a newly made one. Maybe a used one, or a new old stock.

Got to find the paperwork or look on the 4 wheeler to find the exact yr model. I can't remember.
    Should be a tag on the frame, typically up front.

Thanks. I ain't got a clue where the wife keeps that stuff
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,653 Senior Member
    I have used some stuff called "Red Kote' to repair an old lawnmower's metal gas tank. It had corrosion holes that looked like clothing that moths had gotten into, with some of the holes connecting to make larger holes. I had to take the tank off and get it squeaky clean, then tape the holes shut from the bottom side, then pour the Red Kote in to a depth of about 1/16". It takes about 24 hours to completely harden. I let it harden once, then added another 1/16" and left it out in the sun for a couple of days, to make sure it was bonded and hardened. I'm on my second season with it and it's still holding.