What Ammo Do I Need, And Where Do I Get It?

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,332 Senior Member
    Mr. Jerry, surely you remember the old ad campaign: "Reading is fundamental."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Well, I know Rich has a bunch of BP available! Use what's at hand to get the job done! Thanks for the kind words!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Rich, about the only jacketed .318" bullet I can find is a 200 grain round nose made by Woodleigh in Australia. They're very spendy. This little rifle would be an ideal candidate for some gas checked hard cast bullets, sized to .318" in a Lyman LuberSizer. Lee makes a 175 grain 8MM gascheck bullet mold for 8MM bullets, so the next thing to look for is a LuberSizer die for a .318-.319 diameter. No luck so far on that item!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,470 Senior Member
    Teach, you're a good mechanic, but sometimes you think your posts are the Word of God.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,332 Senior Member
    Did you notice where Woodsrunner has already slugged the bore?
    I carefully followed your instructions and:

I had available .310 cast pure lead balls, so I carefully flattened two slightly and tapped each through the barrel from the chamber to the muzzle. A total of 10 measurements with my Starrett micrometer on each ball shows an average mic measurement of .319 with no measurement being smaller than .316 or greater than .321. The rifling was very crisp and well defined, just perfect on the soft lead balls and deep but I have no ability to mike the depth. It's just well defined. I think we can safely say that it's a .318, but that still doesn't tell us anything about the chamber size, does it?

This is the little Mauser that Dave Dodds gave me when he was dying. He had no ammo for it, and told me that he had never fired it. It was a "Safe Queen" that he picked up in trade shortly after he came home from 'Nam in 1970. He traded it off the son of the WWII Vet who brought it home from Germany.

Edit: Big Al1, would any of your pubs date this Oberndorf Mauser by serial number? It has to have been made between WWI and WWII I would think. Serial # is 79XXX.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?3135-What-Ammo-Do-I-Need-And-Where-Do-I-Get-It&p=56549&viewfull=1#post56549
    Overkill is underrated.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I'll pull a projectile out of an 8mm and fireform as you instructed, but it'll have to be Wednesday since I have farming obligations all of tomorrow. We'll go foward with it after I get this done. THANKS to everyone for your comments/suggestions!
    cpj wrote: »
    Could you get a .308 sizer and waller it out? (waller being a technical term, dont you know)

I'm thinking of getting a .312" sizer for a .303 Brit round, and a small-diameter grinding stone in a Dremel tool, and mount it on the tool post of my lathe. With a little careful inside grinding, I might be able to resize it. I'd have to make a new plunger for it to take up the slack created by boring the die body out.
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,016 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Snake, it really helps to read before you type. It's almost certain that he's got a small-bore barrel, and cramming .323 bullets down a .318 bore is living dangerously. The best approach to this situation is handloading with .318 bullets, not taking chances with over-the-counter ammo with the wrong size bullets.
    Jerry

Sorry Teach, the last post I saw of yours was number 7 in which you were leaning toward it being a .323 Bore. Then I went to sleep at the wheel and came back on here and took up where I had left off, but the world had gone around once or twice since and 21 more posts had been added. Again Sorry.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    No problem- - - -I thought you had probably missed that part of the discussion. Watch your mailbox- - - -you've got a package on the way.
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,016 Senior Member
    Thanks Teach, I'm watching.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Jerry you are a freaking genius... :tooth:

I'm waiting for Teach to come up with an invention/ idy as big as the quick-release ratchet a Sears employee had years ago.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,292 Senior Member
    A size '0' drill bit would get you to 0.316" for a bullet sizing die. A touch of a fine grinding stone and then polishing it out would get it to 0.319-0.320" pretty easily. Since you'd be sizing lead bullets, a die made from CRS would be fine, as there is very little wear from squeezing a lead bullet through it. A coned section at the die entry would guide the bullet in and ease the sizing process. Make it like the Lee sizers to fit a single stage press hole and you could size a bunch of bullets fast. If you wanted to resize 0.323 jacketed bullets, make the die from air or oil hardening steel rod, and harden after making sure the die is the right I.D. in the sizing section.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Lyman makes a .314" sizing die for their LuberSizer, and a quick couple of passes with a long 7/32" chainsaw sharpening stone in a Dremel mounted on the tool post should open it up to the right size. I think I'll go for a .319" finished size to assure good rifling engagement, and put a slight taper at the top to make it easier to swage the gas check into place. I might even get away without making a bigger plunger for the bottom with only a .005" enlargement of the hole. The 175 grain Lee bullet, water-quenched and gas checked, should be good for about 2,000 FPS or so without any barrel leading problems. Good deer and hog medicine!
    Jerry
    LOL! The Dremel is just a miniature tool post grinder- - - -It takes some pretty sophisticated equipment to get the tolerances that close!
    Jerry
    I've got something that Lyman doesn't have- - - - - - -a .318" bullet sizing die! I checked my stock of LuberSizer dies, and discovered that I've managed to acquire two of them in .311" size. The dies are harder than woodpecker lips, so drilling was not an option. I set the die up in my lathe and used a bracket I had fabricated to hold an air die grinder on the tool post several years ago to mount my Dremel tool. I'm going to have to modify the bracket, or make another one, as it's impossible to get the Dremel aligned properly with the inside of the die, but I was able to get it close enough to center to enlarge the hole. Now it's .318" instead of .311. I made a new pusher to take up the bigger diameter, so all I need now are some .323" bullets and gas checks to try the new die out with. A Lee 2-cavity mold and 1,000 gas checks are on the way from Midway USA! I had already decided to cast 8MM bullets for plinker loads for the 8MM-06 I'm building, so the .318" die was the only thing needed to load Woodsrunner some custom-bore ammo.
    Jerry
    Sounds like everything is ready to go! Hard cast and gas checked lead bullets will do Porky Pig in well. Those gas checks are kinda spendy, aren't they?!!! Danged things doubled in price back when Obama won the election and haven't come down a cent since then. Got an idea for making my own; just need the motivation to make some punch and form dies.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I think it has more to do with the price of copper going bonkers than anything else. I'm seeing some "aluminum" gas checks offered on some of the auction sites, and I'm wondering if somebody's had the brilliant idea to start recycling his Budweiser cans. The copper gas checks are pretty thick and I doubt if thin aluminum ones would be as effective, but the prices on them look almost tempting enough to try a few.
    Jerry
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I love the can do attitude here. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Jerry, I'd give those aluminum gas checks a pass. Thing about aluminum is that it has a nasty oxide phase. Aluminum oxide is a nasty abrasive, copper oxide not so much.

Hmmmm- - - - -good point, Mike! Brass against aluminum in an assembled round might set up a galvanic corrosion situation, also.
    Jerry