Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Portland reverend wins AR-15 in raffle, can't wait to destroy it

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
When Jeremy Lucas, a reverend at the Christ Church Episcopal Parish in Lake Oswego, won an AR-15 rifle in a local raffle he was overjoyed.
Not because he had any plans for hunting or target practice, but because, even though he had spent roughly $3,000 on raffle tickets, he planned to destroy the gun.
It started around two weeks ago when Lucas was scrolling through Twitter and happened upon a Willamette Week story on a girls softball league that was holding a raffle to sponsor the team's travel to a tournament in California. The grand prize: an AR-15.
ADVERTISING
"I was a little disturbed by that," Lucas told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone on Tuesday. "This was right after the shootings in Baton Rouge and there was a lot of heat and energy around the issue of guns. I want to live in a world where a girl's softball team doesn't have to raffle off a gun because it's the quickest way to make money"
Lucas set two goals.
First, he wanted to help the team get to their tournament, but secondly, he wanted to make sure the gun being offered as the raffle prize never made it onto the street.
He met with representatives from the team — including parents, teachers and coaches — and had a number of what he described as "very respectful" and constructive conversations. Oregon law states that, once you start selling tickets for a raffle, you have to see it all the way through so there was no way for Lucas to buy them out.
Instead, using $3,000 in discretionary funds from his church, Lucas made it his mission to win the raffle. He bought 150 of the 499 tickets available and would have bought more, but by the time he went back for a second round the tickets were sold out.
"Even if it's one gun out of a million, it's one less for someone to hurt someone else or themselves with."

Lucas realized that the thousands he spent on raffle tickets could have purchased multiple similar weapons but "that wouldn't have gotten me to the second goal of getting the girls to California."
He also realized that, with less than half the tickets, he was not guaranteed to win, but said he still would have been proud about funding the trip even if the gun ended up somewhere else.
Now that he's found out he won, Lucas has been in touch with local artists to try and find a way to repurpose the weapon into something symbolic.
"I want it to be a symbol where we take something destructive, because a gun can never be constructive, and turn it into something else," he said. "Even if it's one gun out of a million, it's one less for someone to hurt someone else or themselves with."
"This gun will never be used for that," he added.
This newspaper article seems to be corrected from the local TV video where the Reverend stated that the gun would never kill school students or people at a club. He has no concept that guns don't kill people. People do.
couldn't the $3,000 been used to feed the hungry as opposed to this idiocy?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    When Jeremy Lucas, a reverend at the Christ Church Episcopal Parish in Lake Oswego, won an AR-15 rifle in a local raffle he was overjoyed.
    Not because he had any plans for hunting or target practice, but because, even though he had spent roughly $3,000 on raffle tickets, he planned to destroy the gun.
    It started around two weeks ago when Lucas was scrolling through Twitter and happened upon a Willamette Week story on a girls softball league that was holding a raffle to sponsor the team's travel to a tournament in California. The grand prize: an AR-15.
    ADVERTISING
    "I was a little disturbed by that," Lucas told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone on Tuesday. "This was right after the shootings in Baton Rouge and there was a lot of heat and energy around the issue of guns. I want to live in a world where a girl's softball team doesn't have to raffle off a gun because it's the quickest way to make money"
    Lucas set two goals.
    First, he wanted to help the team get to their tournament, but secondly, he wanted to make sure the gun being offered as the raffle prize never made it onto the street.
    He met with representatives from the team — including parents, teachers and coaches — and had a number of what he described as "very respectful" and constructive conversations. Oregon law states that, once you start selling tickets for a raffle, you have to see it all the way through so there was no way for Lucas to buy them out.
    Instead, using $3,000 in discretionary funds from his church, Lucas made it his mission to win the raffle. He bought 150 of the 499 tickets available and would have bought more, but by the time he went back for a second round the tickets were sold out.
    "Even if it's one gun out of a million, it's one less for someone to hurt someone else or themselves with."

Lucas realized that the thousands he spent on raffle tickets could have purchased multiple similar weapons but "that wouldn't have gotten me to the second goal of getting the girls to California."
    He also realized that, with less than half the tickets, he was not guaranteed to win, but said he still would have been proud about funding the trip even if the gun ended up somewhere else.
    Now that he's found out he won, Lucas has been in touch with local artists to try and find a way to repurpose the weapon into something symbolic.
    "I want it to be a symbol where we take something destructive, because a gun can never be constructive, and turn it into something else," he said. "Even if it's one gun out of a million, it's one less for someone to hurt someone else or themselves with."
    "This gun will never be used for that," he added.
    This newspaper article seems to be corrected from the local TV video where the Reverend stated that the gun would never kill school students or people at a club. He has no concept that guns don't kill people. People do.
    couldn't the $3,000 been used to feed the hungry as opposed to this idiocy?

One of my Episcopal Priests has his CHL and is proud of it. He's not a libtard. Another of my priests is a committed Life Long Republican Conservative. Last summer he spent his vacation in Oregon. When he came back he commented that maybe Oregon was one of those places that are nice to visit but he didn't think he could live there because they were just too PC for him. He said even the Communion Wine was Gluten Free! He said, " I mean How much Gluten can you get in a shot of Communion Wine?"

Also, my church has it's share of Libtards. One guy keeps taking the American Flag out of the Sanctuary. But two gay guys there, One Eucharistic Minister, and the other the Organist, are both conservative Republicans, if you can believe that. Further proof Conservatives are not at war with gays.

But unfortunately the Episcopal Church is eaten up with Libtards (Libtards and Gays aren't necessarily on the same page.). And I don't know why. No other church I can think of is that way. In fact, though the Catholic Church has been plagued with unscrupulous Pedophile Priest, They are generally more conservative with their beliefs.

The Episcopal Church is a member of the Anglican Communion, of which the Church of England and its Archbishop of Canterbury is the head. But the silly thing is, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury is pretty conservative and the U.S. Episcopal Church's libtard stance on several issues has brought criticism from the Arch Bishop's office.
    This Libtard Idiot, Lucas should be banished, excommunicated from the church for spending its money, some of which may have been donated by gun loving conservatives, on an unrelated(to religion) Libtard cause. I know if he would have been called down on it, he would have pleaded he was only supporting the girls team. But that's a crock of crap. He's a militant Libtard Idiot!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    "...because a gun can never be constructive..."

Oh, I don't know, they helped insure that we aren't speaking Japanese or German for the past 70 years...

To me, that's constructive enough. And if this Padre thinks that a Jacques Hamel Part Deux couldn't happen again possibly to him, he'd be a fool. Me? I'd want that AR in working order.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,060 Senior Member
    Praise the lord and pass the collection plate, I need a new Armalite Rifle!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »

If he was the pastor of my church, I'd be looking for a new church and there wouldn't be another nickel of my tithe money going to it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,378 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    If he was the pastor of my church, I'd be looking for a new church and there wouldn't be another nickel of my tithe money going to it.

AMEN

I wonder what his parishioners think?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,182 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    AMEN

I wonder what his parishioners think?

That's what I was wondering...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member

Yep, same here
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    stupid man, he should sell the gun and donate the money to the poor. Or he could keep the gun and use it to defend his "flock" when the jihadists break down the door to kill more Christians.
    john9001 wrote: »
    stupid man, he should sell the gun and donate the money to the poor. Or he could keep the gun and use it to defend his "flock" when the jihadists break down the door to kill more Christians.

WORD.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    He won it fair and square. If he wants to jam it up his six and fart "I walk with Thee" back through the barrel, it's none of my business.

If his parishoners/flock/whatever are stupid enough to allow him to spend $3000 of their money on a raffle this way...well, that's their lookout. There's one born every minute...and apparently more than a few go to that church.

As far as his 'second purpose', I call BS. If he wanted to send them on their trip, he could have done so without accepting any tickets for his parishoner's money, without the press, without the search for a suitable artist to 'create, rather than destroy'. His purpose was to make a statement. Sending them on their trip only allows him to justify it and feel morally superior about it.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    His money. Well, his churches money. Let him smash it. Not my problem.

Yup. Take that $3000 in raffle money and buy SIX more AR15s to raffle off. Let's see how fdeep this douchwad's pockets really go before his parishioners drown his ass in the baptismal pool.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    zorba wrote: »
    WORD.

I've seen you use the acronym several times, but have yet to figure out what it means.

'splain, please?
    Jerry

I've seen you use the acronym several times, but have yet to figure out what it means.

'splain, please?

Actually, its not an acronym. Basically it means "I agree and can't add anything more to the quote back". Often capitalized for emphasis. I didn't invent it, picked it up on the 'net somewhere - fairly common.

zorba wrote: »
    Actually, its not an acronym. Basically it means "I agree and can't add anything more to the quote back". Often capitalized for emphasis. I didn't invent it, picked it up on the 'net somewhere - fairly common.

TYVM.
    Jerry

TYVM.
    YAVW!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,179 Senior Member
    He would have been better buying $3000 worth of bibles and then figuring out a constructive way of repurposing them.

More people have been killed by religious zealots than have ever been killed by AR's..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Update on yesterdays news. The "rev" lacking a secure place to store the AR gave it to a parishioner for safe keeping. Under Oregon's new idiotic expanded background check law this would be considered transferring the rifle which requires a background check. Apparently no check was done. Will the moron be charged and prosecuted? I'm not holding my breath.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    His church, his money, his rifle. 100% declarative attitude to impress no one but the delusional minds that think that bashing a single rifle will do any difference.

Donate to no one but yourself.