Home Main Category Hunting

Hunting season in Finland

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 356 Member
is getting closer. I guess I don't have to start far away from our home :)

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,186 Senior Member
    Very Nice
    I remember in Washington State getting up extremely early to drive 2 hours to where we hunted deer and having several in the side yard eating the garden.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,989 Senior Member
    What flavor of deer are those? Very good looking critters.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 356 Member
    What flavor of deer are those? Very good looking critters.

They are roe. Very good looking and very tasty :)
    -William Blake-
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Getting closer.

By the minute.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Getting closer.

By the minute.

When does the season start in the US? Or is it different in different states? How long is the hunting season for deer and moose?
    -William Blake-
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    When does the season start in the US? Or is it different in different states? How long is the hunting season for deer and moose?

The seasons vary state to state and in some states it's even broken down to different parts of the state. The seasons are further broken down to large game, small game, migratory fowl, resident fowl, non-game animals, and so on. Some states are reasonably simple and some states are rediculously complicated. A while back, someone on here attempted to explain the elk point system in Colorado and I thought that my head would explode. In Alabama where I hunt, seasons are simple enough so that even I can understand them.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    The seasons vary state to state and in some states it's even broken down to different parts of the state. The seasons are further broken down to large game, small game, migratory fowl, resident fowl, non-game animals, and so on. Some states are reasonably simple and some states are rediculously complicated. A while back, someone on here attempted to explain the elk point system in Colorado and I thought that my head would explode. In Alabama where I hunt, seasons are simple enough so that even I can understand them.
    Luckily Finland's hunting season for different animals is pretty straightforward. Here is the link.

http://riista.fi/en/hunting/open-seasons/
    -William Blake-
    September 10th for me and my Hawken cap lock.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    September 10th for me and my Hawken cap lock.

First full weekend in November here, doe and buck. But doe are only legal through November, then no more doe. Bucks are legal till the end of the first full weekend in January. That Sunday is the end of the season, unless you hunt with a Muzzle Loader, then that season, muzzle loading season, lasts for two more weeks. Of course no does after November so in Muzzle Loading season you're buck hunting only.

That's only in Jackson County Texas where I hunt. Calhoun County, the next county over to the west, where I live, is different. You can kill does the whole season long. The season in Jackson County and Calhoun County are the same length, first full weekend in November through the first full weekend in January. Only difference is that damn doe restriction in Jackson.

Bow season here is in October and I'm not sure how long it lasts or rather more specific, when it actually starts. I'm thinking Bow season starts the first full weekend of October and lasts until regular rifle season starts, so bow season may last a full month, unlike Muzzle Loader which only lasts two full weeks.

So you got Bow season at the front end and Muzzle Loading at the back end. That's pretty standard around the state. However, there are different Zones, as in the North Zone, Central Zone, South Zone (I'm not sure if there's a central zone, I only keep up with where I hunt) so the seasons start at different times. Since Calhoun Co. and Jackson Co. border each other and are similar in temperature and climate and therefore the deer activity, such as rut, at a given time is similar, the regular seasons start and finish at the same time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    That looks like a very good roe buck. I would love too go hunt roe deer and muntjac in Europe.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Someone mentioned Colorado, so I might as well elaborate on it a bit.

We do indeed have complex big game laws. Archery elk (wapiti) seasons typically start in late August, black powder elk usually the last two weeks in September, and then the rifle seasons in October and November. Deer seasons run about the same (I think). Antelope/pronghorn runs about a week in early October, but there may be some late season hunts in some areas. There are also fall seasons for bear, bighorn sheep and mountain goats. Mountain lion hunting is usually a winter event and involves hounds. There are also numerous small game, upland bird and waterfowl seasons.

At this time, most deer (whitetail and mule deer) and pronghorn hunting is by draw, with a preference point system in which each unsuccessful draw (limited to one per year) results in a preference point being awarded. Some areas allow over the counter elk permits, and some are by draw only.

There are even some critters, such as prairie dogs and coyotes, that don't have seasons. You can shoot them whenever you get the chance.

Simple, huh?

BTW, the elk in my avatar was taken about 10 miles from my house.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Here in Finland we are not allowed to use muzzle loader or bows.
    When shooting deer bullet has to be at least 95gr with 2000 Joules of energy from 100 meters from the muzzle. With moose bullet has to weight 140gr minimum with 2700 Joules of energy 100 meters away from the muzzle.

Do you hunt driven elk/deer hunts there? Or do you hunt with the dogs for deer or moose? For deer we can you use dachhunds for chasing the game and bigger dogs for stopping moose but not for full throttle chase. Mostly used method for hunting moose is driven hunt. Deers are hunted usually by stalking.
    -William Blake-
    I just find a likely spot and take a nap. When I wake up, bears and deer and sometimes elk wander by. If I can, I shoot one. I get about a 20 percent success rate scoring meat and a bit better on sleep :tooth:
    When shooting deer bullet has to be at least 95gr with 2000 Joules of energy from 100 meters from the muzzle. With moose bullet has to weight 140gr minimum with 2700 Joules of energy 100 meters away from the muzzle.

Do you hunt driven elk/deer hunts there? Or do you hunt with the dogs for deer or moose? For deer we can you use dachhunds for chasing the game and bigger dogs for stopping moose but not for full throttle chase. Mostly used method for hunting moose is driven hunt. Deers are hunted usually by stalking.

I've never heard of anyone hunting elk or moose with dogs. Elk usually inhabit mountainous terrain, and I think it would be difficult for dogs to do any good. Not sure about moose, but I've never heard of anyone hunting them with dogs, or if it's even legal in the states where there are huntable moose populations.

As for deer, it depends on the location. In parts of the south, where there are a lot of trees, vines, bushes and other forms of heavy cover, dogs are used. I've never hunted with dogs, but I've hunted country where they are used, and can tell you from experience that a deer can be just a few feet away and you may never be aware its there. Again, hunting with dogs is governed by regulations. In some places it's legal. In others it's not. And yet again in other places it's just not practical.
    Jerry

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Here in Texas you can use a 40 grain bullet if you want, as long as it's in a centerfire cartridge. No rim fires, go figure. I don't see what the priming method or location has to do with the price of tea in China. You can shoot deer with a 40 grain bullet in a 222 Rem., 223 Rem., or 222 Rem Magnum, or hell even 22-250 for that matter, but you can't shoot one with a 22 WMR with a 40 grain bullet. That makes absolutely no sense to me. For me, I think a 40 grain bullet in anything should be illegal for deer size game, just my opinion. I think 55 grains should be the absolute minimum. That would take Rim Fires out of play and maybe somewhat insure you have enough bullet mass and killing power, like as in penetration.

As for dogs, they are highly illegal in most counties here in Texas. They used to be legal in certain areas where there was lots of thick brush but I'm not sure they are still legal even in those places, such as the Big Thicket in South East Texas. That place is damn near unhuntable without them.

Also, I've heard in some places there in Europe night hunting is legal. Here not for game. You can shoot things like Hogs and Rabbits at night in Texas, because Texas is ovrrun with them, and they're consided pests, not game.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I don't know where you live out there in Finland, but it looks gorgeous!

I need you to do me a favor and mail some of that meat over here, okay?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,068 Senior Member

Whitetail deer in my part of Texas is early November to early January.

No Moose around these parts. But we do have wild pigs that have no season, no limits, and you can take them any way, any time!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Whitetail deer in my part of Texas is early November to early January.

Thats for centerfire rifle season. There are some earlier seasons for youth, black powder and archery. But for the most part, it's right during the holidays where the family gets all bent out of shape if you miss every waking moment
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    It would be nice to see more color photography of your forest types. Photos of the lesser vegetation such as ferns and low growing bushes up to major forest trees. I would like to see the crown cover of those larger Pines seen in these 2 photos.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,989 Senior Member
    Pennsylvania
    2016-17 Hunting Seasons and Bag Limits

These are the seasons and bag limits for most hunting and trapping seasons from July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017.

Downloadable Calendar of PA Hunting & Trapping Seasons

SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Special season for eligible junior hunters, with or without required license, and mentored youth – Oct. 1-15 (6 daily, 18 in possession limit after first day).

SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Oct. 15-Nov. 26; Dec. 12-24 and Dec. 26-Feb. 28 (6 daily, 18 possession).

RUFFED GROUSE: Oct. 15–Nov. 26, Dec. 12-24 and Dec. 26-Jan. 21 (2 daily, 6 possession).

RABBIT (Cottontail) Special season for eligible junior hunters, with or without required license: Oct. 1-15 (4 daily, 12 possession).

RABBIT (Cottontail): Oct. 15-Nov. 26, Dec. 12-24 and Dec. 26-Feb. 28 (4 daily, 12 possession).

PHEASANT: Special season for eligible junior hunters, with or without required license – Oct. 8-15 (2 daily, 6 in possession). Male pheasants only in WMUs 2A, 2C, 4C, 4E, 5A and 5B. Male and female pheasants may be taken in all other WMUs. There is no open season for the taking of pheasants in any Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in any WMU.

PHEASANT: Male only in WMUs 2A, 2C, 4C, 4E, 5A and 5B. Male and female may be taken in all other WMUs – Oct. 22-Nov. 26, Dec. 12-24 and Dec. 26-Feb. 28 (2 daily, 6 in possession). There is no open season for the taking of pheasants in any Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in any WMU.

BOBWHITE QUAIL: Oct. 22-Nov. 26 (4 daily, 12 possession). (Closed in 5A, open in all other WMUs.)

HARES (SNOWSHOE RABBITS) OR VARYING HARES: Dec. 26–31, in all WMUs (1 daily, 3 possession).

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except on Sundays and during the regular firearms deer seasons. No limit.

PORCUPINES: Sept. 1-March 31, except during overlap with the regular firearms deer season. (3 daily, season limit of 10).

CROWS: July 1-April 9, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. No limit.

STARLINGS AND ENGLISH SPARROWS: No closed season, except during the antlered and antlerless deer season. No limit.

WILD TURKEY (Male or Female): WMU 1B – Oct. 29-Nov. 5; WMU 2B (Shotgun and bow and arrow) – Oct. 29-Nov. 18 and Nov. 24-26; WMUs 1A and 2A – Oct. 29-Nov. 5 and Nov. 24-26; WMUs 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C and 4D – Oct. 29-Nov. 12 and Nov. 24-26; WMUs 2C and 4E– Oct. 29-Nov. 18 and Nov. 24-26; WMU 5A – Nov. 3-5; WMUs 5B, 5C and 5D – CLOSED TO FALL TURKEY HUNTING.

SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): Special season for eligible junior hunters, with required license, and mentored youth – April 22, 2017. Only 1 spring gobbler may be taken during this hunt.

SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): April 29-May 31, 2017. Daily limit 1, season limit 2. (Second spring gobbler may be only taken by persons who possess a valid special wild turkey license.) From April 29-May 13, legal hunting hours are one-half hour before sunrise until noon; from May 15-31, legal hunting hours are one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset.

BLACK BEAR (Statewide) Archery: Nov. 14-18. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (Statewide): Nov. 19-23. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 3B, 3C and 3D): Nov. 28-Dec. 3. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 2B, 5B, 5C and 5D): Nov. 28-Dec. 10. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 1B, 2C, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E): Nov. 30-Dec. 3. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D) archery: Sept. 17-Nov. 18. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMU 5B) archery: Oct. 1-Nov. 18. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 2B, 5B, 5C and 5D) muzzleloader: Oct. 15-22. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 2B, 5B, 5C and 5D) special firearms: Oct. 20-22, for junior and senior license holders, disabled hunters with a permit to use a vehicle as a blind and resident active duty military.

ELK (Antlered or Antlerless): Oct. 31-Nov. 5. Only one elk may be taken during the license year.

ELK, EXTENDED (Antlered and Antlerless): Nov. 7-12. Only one elk may be taken during the license year. Eligible elk license recipients who haven’t harvested an elk by Nov. 5, in designated areas.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Sept. 17- Nov. 26 and Dec. 26-Jan. 28, 2017. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license. One antlered deer per hunting license year.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 1-Nov. 12 and Dec. 26-Jan. 14. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5A, 5B, 5C and 5D: Nov. 28-Dec. 10. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered Only) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E: Nov. 28-Dec. 2. One antlered deer per hunting license year. (Holders of valid DMAP antlerless deer permits may harvest antlerless deer on DMAP properties during this period.)

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E: Dec. 3-10. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 20-22. Junior and Senior License Holders, Mentored Youth Permit Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 15-22. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 14. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 28. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS: (Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties): Dec. 26-Jan. 28. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Military Bases): Hunting permitted on days established by the U.S. Department of the Army at Letterkenny Army Depot, Franklin County; New Cumberland Army Depot, York County; and Fort Detrick, Raven Rock Site, Adams County. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

2016-17 FURBEARER HUNTING SEASONS

COYOTES: No closed season. Unlimited. Outside of any big game season (deer, bear, elk and turkey), coyotes may be taken with a hunting license or a furtaker license, and without wearing orange. During any big game season, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting big game or with a furtaker license.

RACCOONS and FOXES: Oct. 22-Feb. 18, unlimited.

OPOSSUM, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: No closed season, except Sundays. No limits.

BOBCAT (WMUs 2A, 2C, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4C, 4D and 4E): Jan. 14-Feb. 8. One bobcat per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

2016-17 TRAPPING SEASONS

MINKS and MUSKRATS: Nov. 19-Jan. 8. Unlimited.

COYOTES, FOXES, OPOSSUMS, RACCOONS, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: Oct. 23-Feb. 19. No limit.

COYOTES and FOXES (Statewide) Cable Restraints: Dec. 26-Feb. 19. No limit. Participants must pass cable restraint certification course.

BEAVERS (Statewide): Dec. 26-March 31 (Limits vary depending on WMU).

BOBCATS (WMUs 2A, 2C, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4C, 4D and 4E): Dec. 17-Jan. 8.

One bobcat per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

FISHERS (WMUs 1B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4D and 4E): Dec. 17-28. One fisher per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

RIVER OTTERS (WMUs 3C and 3D): Feb. 18-25, 2017. One river otter per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

2016-17 FALCONRY SEASONS

SQUIRRELS (combined), BOBWHITE QUAIL, RUFFED GROUSE, COTTONTAIL RABBITS, Sept. 1-March 31, 2017.

SNOWSHOE OR VARYING HARES, RINGNECK PHEASANTS (Male or Female combined): Sept. 1-March 31. Daily and Field Possession limits vary. (Migratory game bird seasons and bag limits for falconers will be set in accordance with federal regulations at a later date.)

No open season on other wild birds or mammals.

Waterfowl and Migratory Game Bird seasons to be established in accordance with federal regulations this summer.

We have a special deer season for flintlock only.
    Barngun_zpspm4pqpte.jpg

No dogs, no bait in any season, and about 900K hunters, down from over a mil

Elk are a special permit on a draw. Your hunting lic comes with a fall and spring turkey tag, and a antlered deer tag. Deer are regulated by points. In my area a adult hunter may only take a deer with 3 points on one main beam or more, brow tines dont count. You buy a archery lic, bear lic and muzzle loader separately. Doe permits are by WMU (wildlife management unit) and limited somewhat.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    It would be nice to see more color photography of your forest types. Photos of the lesser vegetation such as ferns and low growing bushes up to major forest trees. I would like to see the crown cover of those larger Pines seen in these 2 photos.
    We live in south west Finland's archipelago and in these pictures you can see very typical nature and forests where our small and big game hunting happens.

-William Blake-
    snake284 wrote: »
    Here in Texas you can use a 40 grain bullet if you want, as long as it's in a centerfire cartridge. No rim fires, go figure. I don't see what the priming method or location has to do with the price of tea in China. You can shoot deer with a 40 grain bullet in a 222 Rem., 223 Rem., or 222 Rem Magnum, or hell even 22-250 for that matter, but you can't shoot one with a 22 WMR with a 40 grain bullet. That makes absolutely no sense to me. For me, I think a 40 grain bullet in anything should be illegal for deer size game, just my opinion. I think 55 grains should be the absolute minimum. That would take Rim Fires out of play and maybe somewhat insure you have enough bullet mass and killing power, like as in penetration.

As for dogs, they are highly illegal in most counties here in Texas. They used to be legal in certain areas where there was lots of thick brush but I'm not sure they are still legal even in those places, such as the Big Thicket in South East Texas. That place is damn near unhuntable without them.

Also, I've heard in some places there in Europe night hunting is legal. Here not for game. You can shoot things like Hogs and Rabbits at night in Texas, because Texas is ovrrun with them, and they're consided pests, not game.

A lot of deer and roe gets hunted by night. Or at least in the darkness, as in the middle of the winter darkness comes very early, at around 4p.m. in southern parts of Finland. And in Lappland sun doesn't rise at all in months :) Deer and/or roe are stalked by the fields where they go eating and when there is snow you can pretty easily shoot with a wide aperture scope.
    -William Blake-
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah. Where Athens is located

Haven't you heard? Every southern state has a law that there must be a town called Athens and/or Decatur in the state.
    Jerry

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,282 Senior Member
    We live in south west Finland's archipelago and in these pictures you can see very typical nature and forests where our small and big game hunting happens.

Looks like Northern Minnesota, Northen Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, that must be why we all know about St. Urho
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Thank you for posting these photos of your forest types! By profession I am a Forester, and at one stage of my life--many years ago--I was very familiar by overhead photos--of the forests to the east of you to the Ural Mountains. My deep desire is to go to Berlin and hear the Berlin Philharmonic play Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and then tour the Black Forests of Deutschland and those of Scandinavia and eastward to the Urals. Sadly, this will probably never happen other than maybe getting to Berlin to hear the Berlin Philharmonic! "Hawkin" and I are the oldest members of the Board, and we're both looking 80 years old dead in the eye :yikes:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    A guy I know who was a professor at UGA in Forestry, or something woods related, and an avid shooter was on a trip to Finland. He was asleep in his room at 2 o'clock, someone tried to enter his room. He yelled and they went away. A couple of hours later, it was tried again. Finally, he got up and went into the dark to the front desk of the hotel and told the woman there someone had tried to enter his room at odd hours in the morning. She told him it at 2:PM and 4:PM, and not the morning, and the one who had tried to enter his room was the maid to clean the room! It was dark there!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.