Home Main Category Personal Defense

Appendix Carry... questions, considerations...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,530 Senior Member
Been mulling trying appendix carry (AIWB), but I'm just not sure. I know some folks do it, others might so i thought I'd ask some questions...

Problem is I've got a bit of "dunlop" syndrome: my belly dunlops over my belt a bit. I've lost 23 lbs. so far, would like to lose another 10 or so, but... would think that be an issue?

How high up does the handgun get positioned? I.E. where is the triggerguard relative to the beltline?

What size handguns can you AIWB?

How comfortable is it, relative to normal IWB? I carry a 5" 1911 IWB at about 3 or 3:30.

Looks like if you bend forward, it would stick you in the ribs. Maybe also sitting. True or not?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,774 Senior Member
    I appendix carry a G43/17/23/36/34 with the 34 being the most uncomfortable with the longer slide poking my right yam when I sit. All the others work fine.

I I also appendix carry a 4" Redhawk and Mountain Gun.

Add as well the HK P2000 and P2000sk.

Trigger guard falls just behind or just below the belt.

It is comfortable for me to sit and much better when driving. Obviously standing works as well.

Forgot I carry a J Frame that way as well.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Unload a gun, stuff it in yer shorts and test the comparability with the Dunlop.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,530 Senior Member
    I tried it with a J-frame, when heavier, but don't know if I had it "right."
    Overkill is underrated.
    I carry my J Frame with one of those cheap Uncle Mikes IWB belt clip holsters. It's my mowing/check the mail gun and carry method. Quick and easy.
    Two favorite carry holsters for my Glocks are made by Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I sometimes appendix carry an EMP, Shield and even a lightweight Commander with a Remora. I am 5'11" 190lbs (should be 170 to 175lbs) and IWB with a Sparks Versa most of the time and going appendix didn't take much getting use to except bending over became slightly different.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I carry appendix. The slimmer I am the more comfortable it is. My trigger guard is usually directly behind the belt, sometime a little lower. I have carried up to a Glock 17. The longer the grip, the more cant I give it. It is very comfortable sitting when the gun rides high.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Since I lost so much weight due to the kidney stone my pants are all really loose fit. I carry a Glock G26 in a nylon pocket holster in my right front pocket. As long as I don't regain the weight I lost it's a comfortable way to carry. Might be hard to draw sitting down, but I'll nuke that bridge when I get to it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,427 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Tried it with my new remora and CW9. Unless I'm standing, it's simply a no-go for me. Yeah, being a fat ass doesn't help. But even if I was skinny like Buffco, I still don't think I could do it. My weapon rides best at anywhere from 2:30 to 3:30. Mainly straight up 3 though.
    One advantage for us portly fellows, it does conceal better than other positions. That's about the only advantage to Dickey-do disease.

Somewhere between 3 and 3:30 is the most comfortable for me
    Zee wrote: »
    Unload a gun, stuff it in yer shorts and test the comparability with the Dunlop.
    I tried it with my J-frame and my 1911.

J-frame is good to go. Might have to make a kydex or leather holster for that sort of carry. If I do that I'll use the longer Herrett Shooting Star grips. I can conceal 'em, and they give me better control.

1911 no bueno. A bit too long, still too much dunlop.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    ...A bit too long, still too much dunlop.

My problem, as well.

Appendix carry is my favorite, but too uncomfortable with a big belly. These days, I either go with an OWB at 3 o'clock, or pocket carry the XDs .45 or the Shield 9mm. Both are a bit too large for most pockets, but with the new OC carry laws, I don't worry about printing any more. Nobody pays any attention, anyway.
    Looking further, while a 5" 1911 may be harder to carry appendix, a Commander-sized handgun seems a bit easier. Commander's about the same size as a Browning Hi Power, which I have an FEG copy of.

Might have to look into trying the FEG appendix.

This might even a reason to get an Commander. I've not really seen a need/purpose for one until now....
    Overkill is underrated.
    But... I have kydex and leather.
    Overkill is underrated.
    The Remora is more comfortable than my Rawdog. And it does stay in place with the clip
    And without the clap.

TWSS
    And without the clip.

You are correct. That's what I meant to type.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    Looking further,

This might even a reason to get an Commander. I've not really seen a need/purpose for one until now....

Yep.
    I guess I've never thought about it, I've always carried appendix-ish.
    My Pro Carry totally changed the game.
  • KennydaleKennydale New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    24c351b53da06420237cbc9fa4bec22a.jpg309e573d41ae97c436c39202fe8b81ad.jpga21847383427ea4fe6199e48813f2803.jpg

I'm new here. I have been AIWB since 2012. I have been carrying a Glock G17 gen 4 in an Appalachian Concealment "Gladius". I am 5'6" @ 255#. My holster is Kydex and has a Kydex built in wedge. The designer Matthew Turner, has definite views on what makes a really good appendix carry. Just a Zero Can't, doesn't it an appendix carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,843 Senior Member
    Kennydale wrote: »
    [IMGtp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160815/309e573d41ae97c436c39202fe8b81ad.jpg[/IMG][IMGe6199e48813f2803.jpg[/IMG]

I'm new here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Welcome aboard
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Remora. For anything mid size or smaller.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug