Mineral block

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,448 Senior Member
Anyone ever come up with a good solution for keeping cows and wild pigs off of mineral blocks you put out for deer?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,230 Senior Member
    If it were just cows, and you had permission, you could build a small barbed wire fence around it. That wouldn't stop pigs, though, and the landowner might not allow it.

Can you hang it from a tree high enough to keep cows away but let deer get to it?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Instead of mineral blocks, I use trace mineral salt in 50 Lb. bags, find a semi-rotten tree stump, and pour as much salt as it will hold into the hole in the middle. Rain makes the salt and trace minerals leach into the wood, and the deer lick and nibble at it. Over the course of several seasons with repeated treatment of the same stumps, they get nibbled away down below ground level and the area becomes a salt lick several feet across. One lick that began as a treated stump about 15 years ago is now 10 feet or more across, and almost a foot deep! Several others are about half that big. The stumps disappeared several years ago, so now I just dig a shallow hole in the middle of the area and pour the salt onto the ground.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,885 Senior Member
    Even though this pig got in, I think this is the best you are going to get with a reasonable $$$ outlay...............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Instead of mineral blocks, I use trace mineral salt in 50 Lb. bags, find a semi-rotten tree stump, and pour as much salt as it will hold into the hole in the middle. Rain makes the salt and trace minerals leach into the wood, and the deer lick and nibble at it. Over the course of several seasons with repeated treatment of the same stumps, they get nibbled away down below ground level and the area becomes a salt lick several feet across. One lick that began as a treated stump about 15 years ago is now 10 feet or more across, and almost a foot deep! Several others are about half that big. The stumps disappeared several years ago, so now I just dig a shallow hole in the middle of the area and pour the salt onto the ground.
    Jerry

This, we just set them on stumps, the deer figure it out.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    A bag of rock salt and a gallon of molasses work jut fine. Pour the salt into a hollow stump or a hollow in the ground, and cover with 1/4 to 1/2 the molasses........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,271 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    If it were just cows, and you had permission, you could build a small barbed wire fence around it. That wouldn't stop pigs, though, and the landowner might not allow it.

Can you hang it from a tree high enough to keep cows away but let deer get to it?

:that: :agree:

Jerry nailed it as far as the blocks go> But the blocks are cheap compared to corn so I just put em out and if the hogs and cows eat eat off of em so what! We have fences around most of our feeders and if I put a block inside the hogs and deer will share, but the cows can't get to em.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    It's against the law where I hunt on public land to put food or mineral blocks out but if you are lucky you'll find a natural mineral lick.