Home Main Category Personal Defense

Late night knock on the door -- the good kind

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Funny how we were just chatting about neighborhood disturbances and such.

Just a few minutes ago (11pm Sat night), knock on my door. "Sam?"

Old paranoid me of course had my XD in my hand immediately, "Yeah?"

"This is Cathy (the landlord's daughter) next door. Is our party disturbing you?"

This young couple next door had been BBQing on the patio walkway tonight and they had a few friends over -- I could smell the BBQ but they're such good kids, I hadn't heard a peep from them, never do.

So I went to the door (XD behind my back) and looked out the peephole. Sure enough, the neighbor gal and her boyfriend standing there. "What's up?" I asked.

"Want some BBQ chicken? We know it's late but we saw your light." So I put the pistol in my back pocket and said hello, got 2 pieces of yummy looking chicken.

"We hope we didn't disturb you. Mark only got off work just a while ago so our party is running late." (he's a chef)

Told them truthfully that they hadn't disturbed me a bit, thanked them for the chicken, which I put in the fridge for tomorrow during the game. Good kids, both about 28, and nice neighbors. Sometimes you get lucky with neighbors, eh?

Still, I had the XD in hand when I went to the door, till I found out it was all clear.

Replies

• Medicine HatMedicine Hat Member Posts: 106 Member
    Good neighbors. You went prepared, but didn't panic. Everything worked out right. Congrats.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good to have neighbors like that. I'll bet back in your day, you could show them how to throw a party :cool2::cool2::cool2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Yeah, in the old days, I did manage to throw some parties. Hell, for my 50th birthday, we had a small local bar reserved, band and BBQ, plenty of beer. Cops only came 3 times and there were only 2 fights.

That was, I guess, a sort of high point for my older years and after that, things calmed down quickly in my lifestyle.

Landlord here has been terrific the 8 years. He has a cozy 8 unit building, solid brick, thick walls so the neighbors are not heard, central AC/gas heat, and a perfect location for singles and young couples -- peaceful small neighborhood surrounded by lots of nightlife and shopping only a few blocks away. So apartments in this area are prized. Landlord charges fair rent for the area and in return he keeps the maintenance spotless, fixes any problem fast. And because there are plenty of wannabe renters, he won't tolerate rowdy tenants. Damn nice and comfy place for an old dude like me. Lucked out.

And yeah, I'm "prepared". I spend a lot of time in my living room recliner. The slot next to the left arm and cushion is a nice fit for my Springfield XD Tactical .45, 13+1 CorBon +P ammo. And no, I don't have to do a "fake TV rack" to make the gun ready because it's already condition one. That pistol is at hand, literally. Any unusual outside noise and the first thing I do is put my hand on the grip. The other stuff can wait.

If I had a large property, like a big house or outbuildings, garage, etc, then an AR would be ideal. But for me, in a smallish one-bdr apartment, a .45 in hand is worth two 12 gauges in the closet.

And yeah, I've got some nice neighbors, upstairs, next door, etc.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    With neighbors 1/4 mile apart on average, our area is pretty quiet when there's not a crowd of gun enthusiasts trying to burn up all the ammo they can carry. It just got a little quieter, though. The guy across the creek who used to throw some epic parties, complete with big crowds of drunks and dopers, just passed away at the ripe old age of 51. His lifestyle got the best of him. Too bad- - - -he was a pretty decent guy when he wasn't drunk or stoned.
    Jerry
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Those kind of late night disturbances ae nice to have Sam.
    My neighborhood is always very quiet with the smallest lot here at 1 acre. My property backs up to a large reanch so nobody behind me, I have a 5 foot fence all the way around my property with remote controlled gates, motion sensor lights on all corners and an alarm system. I may live in a quiet neighborhood but I also like to be as deterring as possible to would be bad guys.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Unless somebody lives way the hell out in the country with no neighbors at all, we take pot luck with those who live nearby, regardless of whether they're apartment dwellers or semi-rural homes some distance between.

I've had horrible neighbors in the suburbs, great neighbors in apartments next door, mixed either way. Unless you deliberately move into "da ghetto" you get what comes. Thankfully most people are good, or try to be.

In a separate thread our Omaha apartment dweller had some nearby gunfire and thankfully it all worked out well for him.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,223 Senior Member
    Only takes one person to mess up a neighborhood. Old lady behind us took in her troubled grand daughter. Now GD's trash friends she met in Juvie are down our cul-da-sac most every night.

Cigarette butts, beer cans and other trash thrown on the ground. Rash of thefts (got step sons bike). Screaming, yelling, and crap cars with fart cans or no exhaust at all up and down the street at all hours.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    MOst of my neighbors are older than me. Things are real quiet around here after 8:30 in the evening.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,808 Senior Member
    Around here with two 20-something roommates who are about to graduate, I'm used to hearing noises and having people come up to my door at all hours of the day. Heck, sometimes I'm leaving for PT at 445 AM when the roomies and their "guests" are just getting in.

However, especially when I'm alone, I answer the door with my 9mm hidden behind a magazine. Good job on being prepared, Sam.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Shotgun, one of the greatest pleasures in life is not usually spoken of, but it's that future day when you have your OWN place, no roommates, not even if they're nice roomies, and you can shut that front door and exclaim "Finally! I'm alone!"

I had roommates all thru college and afterward, too, most of them just fine. But it's the damn privacy, and small things, like knowing that there are TWO beers in the fridge and when you next look, the total will still be 2.

After a couple years of post-collegiate roommies, I put my foot down and found a teeny rathole, but at least it was MY rathole. And since that day, I've had plenty of female girlfriend-type roomies, but never again another buddy. Whew!

Types of roommates (for guys), listed best to worst:
    1- conjugal girlfriend roomies who are responsible and fun to be with.
    2- conjugal girlfriend roomies who are at least fun to be with.
    3- guy roomies who are at least responsible.
    4- nonconjugal female roomies who are at least responsible (awkward sometimes tho).
    5- crazed irresponsible guy roomies
    6- crazed irresponsible conjugal girlfriend roomies, regardless of how much fun at times.
    You missed one, Sam- - - - -30 roommates in one big room- - - -otherwise known as an open-bay military barracks! Depending on the group, that can be great, or miserable!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Shotgun, one of the greatest pleasures in life is not usually spoken of, but it's that future day when you have your OWN place, no roommates, not even if they're nice roomies, and you can shut that front door and exclaim "Finally! I'm alone!"

I had roommates all thru college and afterward, too, most of them just fine. But it's the damn privacy, and small things, like knowing that there are TWO beers in the fridge and when you next look, the total will still be 2.

After a couple years of post-collegiate roommies, I put my foot down and found a teeny rathole, but at least it was MY rathole. And since that day, I've had plenty of female girlfriend-type roomies, but never again another buddy. Whew!

Types of roommates (for guys), listed best to worst:
    1- conjugal girlfriend roomies who are responsible and fun to be with.
    2- conjugal girlfriend roomies who are at least fun to be with.
    3- guy roomies who are at least responsible.
    4- nonconjugal female roomies who are at least responsible (awkward sometimes tho).
    5- crazed irresponsible guy roomies
    6- crazed irresponsible conjugal girlfriend roomies, regardless of how much fun at times.
    +-

Well Sam, there used to be an old saying/joke in the Army about Buddies, a real Bud would go downtown for an er....oral sex.....and bring you back one to the barracks :tooth::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Chief, that's what us truckers used to call a "Good Buddy"!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    You missed one, Sam- - - - -30 roommates in one big room- - - -otherwise known as an open-bay military barracks! Depending on the group, that can be great, or miserable!
    Jerry

Oh, well, sure. I was only listing voluntary roomies. In college I got stuck with some doozies. Of course they got stuck with me, too.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Chicken? You're so lucky. The only time I get a late night knock on the door, it's just a naked woman!
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Lucky you !
    I only get kicked by My dog that snores louder than I do !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Chicken? You're so lucky. The only time I get a late night knock on the door, it's just a naked woman!

That actually did happen to me twice, two different women (sadly not at the same time) but each was wearing a trench coat with nothing underneath, just like in the 60s comedy movies or with James Bond.

I've also had women invite themselves in and start taking off the clothes soon as I'd shut the door. I also had one gal who'd forgotten her cigarets run out to her car to get them stark naked, just for the fun of it. It was about 10pm but there were still lots of folks out and about.

But those were my days of yore and these days only occurs in my dreams. Now I only get BBQ chicken from the couple next door as a peace offering that they were keeping me awake. Chicken was good, however. At my age you take your pleasure where you can.