Home Main Category Clubhouse

Who has "Low Platelets"

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
When I went to the ER they did a CBC workup on me. Red/White was normal, but my Platelets came back low at 89,000. So they said follow up with my family doctor, I did and he had me take another test. My last on file with him was 110,000 from last year.

So today I get an email saying my test results are ready to be viewed online with the Quest Diagnostics account I set up. I was hesitant to open them at first, but got good news. 130,000 which is good for me. Especially being on a daily 81 mg Aspirin because of my stents.

Any blood thinner like Aspirin can have a big effect on platelets. I read it takes 6 or 7 days to replenish them. It has almost immediate effect on them and the count can go lower in one hour. So 911 had me chew a 325 mg Aspirin as a precaution about an hour before they drew blood in the ER. That and on top of my LD 81 mg I already take really made a difference.

Doc had them do a Blue Top vial test too. Something to do with the chemicals used.

So not up to the "Normal Range" of 140,000 to 400,000 that I probably never will get to the middle of, I'm happy.

Mine have always ran at the low end of the scale far as I can remember anyhow. I waited a few days after I was back to my daily dose to give them time to build back up before I went in for the retest too.

In fact when they took the blood in the ER my blood was so thin it dripped onto the sheets through the bandage and they usually ask if I'm on a blood thinner whenever I go for a lab.

Anyway just curious if any of you had platelet issues.

Oh, one tidbit I read from medical studies online was 81 mg is enough to thin your blood and some debate taking EC (coated) Aspirin is any better being absorbed in your small intestines rather than in your stomach as far as irritation goes and damage to your stomach from ulcers or whatever. They say no difference and, in fact. the un-coated ones work better and faster????

I'm not a medical professional and talk with one if you have issues, not me. Even though I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before..............:tooth:
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Never thought or worried about Platelets, but ya got me curious about them, last 2 CBC were 211,000, & 216,000. I too am on 81Mg Aspirin in addition to 4 other pills.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have a low platelet count, but it has been in relation to my CLL and chemo four years ago. My new meds have improved my counts from the 120 - 130's to recently 180's. If your gums bleed a lot when you are brushing your teeth, that's a significant sign.

130 isn't so bad. If you get into the 30's, don't shave, see a hematologist, and you might need to get packed cells. You would know you had a problem long before that happened.

Some people get a low platelet condition called ITP http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/idiopathic-thrombocytopenic-purpura/home/ovc-20201208

If this happens it is generally treated with steroids.

Ask Q's anytime.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I had radiation treatments 9 years ago for Prostrate Cancer 28X external beam treatments and 115 radioactive seeds implanted............don't know if that would still effect the Platelet count or not.

No gum bleeding or any of that. Jay has a good count being on Aspirin. Docs don't seem to be worried much unless they get really low down under 50,000.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    "Increased breakdown of platelets

In people with ITP, antibodies produced by the immune system attach themselves to the platelets, marking the platelets for destruction. The spleen, which helps your body fight infection, recognizes the antibodies and removes the platelets from your system. The result of this case of mistaken identity is a lower number of circulating platelets than is normal.

A normal platelet count is generally between 150,000 and 450,000 platelets per microliter of circulating blood. People with ITP often have platelet counts below 20,000. Because platelets help the blood clot, as their number decreases, your risk of bleeding increases. The greatest risk is when your platelet count falls very low — below 10,000 platelets per microliter. At this point, internal bleeding may occur even without any injury."

Yep, they gave me some printouts on that. Glad I don't have the symptoms.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I apparently do too because the blood bank won't take mine. They will take my blood though, I'm one pint shy of seven gallons. They like my blood because there are at least 17 identifiable antigens..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO