Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

definition of "homicide"

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
I'm confident most of us know. While reading news articles concerning LEO shootings and following comments it is obvious that much of the general population do not. The Medical Examiner In the Tulsa, OK shooting determined it was a homicide. Absolutely correct. The ignorant low information masses interpret this as murder. Not necessarily. In films and TV shows the homicide detectives are called in and in this fictional entertainment 99% of the time it is a murder.

Homicide:
"The killing of one human being by another human being".
Although the term homicide is sometimes used synonymously with murder, homicide is broader in scope than murder. Murder is a form of criminal homicide; other forms of homicide might not constitute criminal acts. These homicides are regarded as justified or excusable. For example, individuals may, in a necessary act of Self-Defense, kill a person who threatens them with death or serious injury, or they may be commanded or authorized by law to kill a person who is a member of an enemy force or who has committed a serious crime. Typically, the circumstances surrounding a killing determine whether it is criminal. The intent of the killer usually determines whether a criminal homicide is classified as murder or Manslaughter and at what degree.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I'm confident most of us know. While reading news articles concerning LEO shootings and following comments it is obvious that much of the general population do not. The Medical Examiner In the Tulsa, OK shooting determined it was a homicide. Absolutely correct. The ignorant low information masses interpret this as murder. Not necessarily. In films and TV shows the homicide detectives are called in and in this fictional entertainment 99% of the time it is a murder.

Homicide:
    "The killing of one human being by another human being".
    Although the term homicide is sometimes used synonymously with murder, homicide is broader in scope than murder. Murder is a form of criminal homicide; other forms of homicide might not constitute criminal acts. These homicides are regarded as justified or excusable. For example, individuals may, in a necessary act of Self-Defense, kill a person who threatens them with death or serious injury, or they may be commanded or authorized by law to kill a person who is a member of an enemy force or who has committed a serious crime. Typically, the circumstances surrounding a killing determine whether it is criminal. The intent of the killer usually determines whether a criminal homicide is classified as murder or Manslaughter and at what degree.

Great write up Sarge. Thanks for the heads up on the law. I never thought of it in that light.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,694 Senior Member
    Sadly those that do know will use the word to agitate those that do not. As in that lawyer Crum, Al Sharpton and most of all those that call themselves journalists.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Good layman writeup on homicide, as opposed to the lawyer speak and MSM sensationalism. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams