Home Main Category General Firearms

Unique is available

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
At a few online joints. 1 lb and 8lb jugs. With the HAZMAT fees and all you need to make it worth your while and get either enough of it like 8lbs or add other powder and/or primers, go in with a friend to offset charges.

Wideners/Natchez/Midsouth and couple other places have it. No big deal if you can get a pound or two locally whenever you need it. I can't and of all the powders available between Unique and Titegroup coming in second I can get the most use outta in every handgun caliber I reload for from .32 ACP through .45 Colt

May not be the best for gettin Magnum caliber top loads, but plenty loads listed using it for about all handgun applications.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    I use Unique in all my straight case rifle and pistol loads, with good results. I scored an 8lb jug last year have seen little since. Did see some in a few of the bigger store in Wisconsin, Fleetfarm and Scheels. but I'm good for a long time.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I use Unique in all my straight case rifle and pistol loads, with good results. I scored an 8lb jug last year have seen little since. Did see some in a few of the bigger store in Wisconsin, Fleetfarm and Scheels. but I'm good for a long time.

I've read where some folks download their 45-70 loads with Unique. Have you tried that? What charge and do you use a Filler?

I'm pretty happy so far using H4895 which you can download to 60% of MAX charges safely for Youth/Cowboy like loads.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    cpj wrote: »
    I tried it. Got hang fires.

Position sensitive? Must be why fillers are used by some or more Unique?????
    I loaded some 350 grain Berry's Plated Bullets using H4895 down to 35 and 29 grains. I could have went down to 25 I believe using the 60% formula fer Trap Door MAX loads.
    No, not in the 45-70, for reduced loads I use Trail Boss. But it works great in my .38-55 and .32-40!
    cpj wrote: »
    Not sure. But, when the gun goes cli-BOOM instead of BOOM, somethings wrong and you stop. After the third time, at least.

Yep, not a good thing.

So how much Trail Boss do you use and velocity with it? What grain bullets?

One day I'll get around to finding and trying some TB.
    12 grains with the 405 cast for about 900fps.