Home Main Category Clubhouse

Bourbon. My other love.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,538 Senior Member
This weekend I am partaking in a Four Roses sample flight. All 10 recipes, 2oz each sample. A friend and I are having a sampling gathering this Sunday. The sample flight was $80, so my half is $40 and that's well worth it to me for the experience and fun of sampling them.

I also have a line on a couple bottles of Weller 12 Year that I hope comes through. The local ABC manager likes me. He's trying to get 6 bottles in the next few weeks. Shelf price for Weller 12 year is absolutely worth the cost if I can avoid secondary market prices.

So what say y'all on good sub-$75 bourbons?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    Not a big bourbon guy, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into it.

I am, however, a beer fan, and I am ecstatic that quality craft beer has become trendy and thus readily available in most areas.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

So what say y'all on good sub-$75 bourbons?

Bulleit Bourbon and Rowan's Creek.

You can actually pick up a bottle of both of them, for under $75.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,071 Senior Member
    Eagle Rare. It is Buffalo Trace's high end and 10 year aged bourbon. When you can find it, the 750ml is usually around $35. It's really good, and consistently in every "top 10" list
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,538 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Bulleit Bourbon and Rowan's Creek.

You can actually pick up a bottle of both of them, for under $75.
    I love the Bulleit green label Rye whiskey. Not a bourbon, but delicious the same.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Eagle Rare. It is Buffalo Trace's high end and 10 year aged bourbon. When you can find it, the 750ml is usually around $35. It's really good, and consistently in every "top 10" list
    Eagle Rare is fantastic.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,571 Senior Member
    Russell Reserve 10, better yet 12 year. Bulliet 10 year.
    Woodford Reserve.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Russell Reserve 10, better yet 12 year. Bulliet 10 year.
    Woodford Reserve.
    Good selections. I keep Russell 10 at all times. Three bottles right now.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I liked bourbons when i drank, all of them. But Woodford Reserve and Jack Daniels Single Barrel are two of my favorite, although Jack isn't really a Bourbon in the true sense, but close. It's actually classified as a Tennessee Whiskey. Most Bourbon lovers I've known didn't cross craft. They liked Bourbon only. Me, I could do Bourbon and I could do Scotch, although not at the same time. I had to be in a specific mood for each and I never could drink both in the same day.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

I was drinking Eagle Rare way yonder before you ever heard of Buffalo Trace, so I would say the Buffalo Trace is probably a somewhat cheaper spin off of Eagle Rare. Back in the day, Eagle Rare was sort of a competitor to Wild Turkey.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Considering the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery Co. trusts Sazerac/Buffalo Trace with the reputation of their Pappy brand of bourbon, I'd say Buffalo Trace is distilling a fine product in all regards.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,571 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Good selections. I keep Russell 10 at all times. Three bottles right now.

Nice! I keep 12-14 bourbons/whiskeys on hand. Between permanent fixtures, and "try it" stuff. Dickel no 12 has been pretty popular lately. It'll become permanent.
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    Ten High. It is cheap, and a true sour mash. Has the JD bite. At a third of the cost. No bitter aftertaste.
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Blanton's
    Elijah Craig
    Elmer T Lee
    Woodford Reserve
    Booker's.........if you want to grow hair on the roof of your mouth.
    Duke
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • BingBing Member Posts: 95 Member
    Elmer T Lee and John T Bowman when you can get them. Mitchlers is the best one that is consistently available.
    s