First driven deer hunt today

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 229 Member
Hi all!

What a great day! As some of you might have read and remember I got an invitation to participate to driven deer hunt with the hunting club my father hunts with. Well, today was the day. There were 13 men and three dachshunds. We were sent to our places and the first drive started. With in ten minutes calf and his mother came from the forest to the field and they run towards the other side of the field. I took the calf into my crosshair and pulled the trigger. It was a nice shot just behind the shoulder from the 60-70 yards.

And the best part was that after my successful hunt in the morning they asked me to join their moose hunt for this fall! So I got a "membership" in their club. So pleased with it. It will be a great hunting season with 15 permits for moose they have. Six adults and nine calves. Plus 24 deer permits. Other guy shot a nice buck only minutes after I shot my calf from the other dogs drive.

This was a good day!

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,044 Senior Member
    Congrats on both the successful hunt and the return invitation :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Congratulations for 'making the cut' and being accepted in the club. Hunting moose is something most of us over here will never get to experience. 'Driven' hunts are also not that common over here, except in a few areas. It's interesting to hear about how hunting is done in different places, and I hope you will continue to enlighten us. Your English is very good and you write well. :up:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,080 Senior Member
    Awesome, well done and I mean it.

It sounds like it fairly common practice to shoot calves where you hunt. Am I reading that correct? I have myself twice shot first year deer. The first was a nubbin buck, shot him because I had shot momma before I saw him. The second was kind of on a driven hunt. There were two deer that ran right straight at me instead of left to right in front of me. One peeled to my left and one right, the right side was my shooting lane. At about 25 yards that deer looked HUGE. There was much ground shrinkage.

It is also common practice to bust someone's balls for shooting Bambi, at least around here. My Dad went so far as putting a diaper on his cousin's deer. Mike was not amused.

So, did you have to wipe milk off that ones chin?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,444 Senior Member
    Awesome! That sounds like a great hunt.

I've always been interested in driven hunts. That's not the way we hunt here (it is actually illegal to drive deer with dogs in Texas), but some family members in Arkansas used to run deer with dogs in the thick pine woods and shoot them with shotguns as they ran past, sometimes as close as 20 yards. That seems like a real adrenaline charge
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,342 Senior Member
    Congratulations on the successful harvest and the invite to the moose hunts.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    Good news all round!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Congratulations!

Put on the lard and onions.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Congratulations for 'making the cut' and being accepted in the club. Hunting moose is something most of us over here will never get to experience. 'Driven' hunts are also not that common over here, except in a few areas. It's interesting to hear about how hunting is done in different places, and I hope you will continue to enlighten us. Your English is very good and you write well. :up:
    Thanks! I'll try to explain our ways of hunting here. Please, feel free to ask. Sometimes hunting's terminology might be a little lost but please bear with me. :)
    -William Blake-
    Awesome, well done and I mean it.

It sounds like it fairly common practice to shoot calves where you hunt. Am I reading that correct? I have myself twice shot first year deer. The first was a nubbin buck, shot him because I had shot momma before I saw him. The second was kind of on a driven hunt. There were two deer that ran right straight at me instead of left to right in front of me. One peeled to my left and one right, the right side was my shooting lane. At about 25 yards that deer looked HUGE. There was much ground shrinkage.

It is also common practice to bust someone's balls for shooting Bambi, at least around here. My Dad went so far as putting a diaper on his cousin's deer. Mike was not amused.

So, did you have to wipe milk off that ones chin?
    Haha, yeah, the dog ate it :)

Yes, shooting calves is totally normal here. Actually if you don't find/don't want to shoot an adult moose/deer for some reason you can shoot two calves with one adult permit.
    We have had a very strict shield for the does with calves here. It's been an automated court case is you shoot doe from the doe "that follows the doe instantly". So calves yes, does with calves absolute no-no. You can loose your hunter's licence and your licence to carry your weapons... This year this 50+ years old law is getting easier for the hunter. No court cases anymore.
    -William Blake-
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a successful hunt! I like to shoot does for the same reason you shoot calves, they are much more tender and you can't eat horns no matter how long you cook them. I am curious, does anyone hunt with muzzleloaders in your country? Keep yer powder dry.........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Congratulations on a successful hunt! I like to shoot does for the same reason you shoot calves, they are much more tender and you can't eat horns no matter how long you cook them. I am curious, does anyone hunt with muzzleloaders in your country? Keep yer powder dry.........robin

Thanks!

No, we can't use muzzleloaders as we have different power limits for different animals. For example moose. Energy has to be more than E100 = 2000 J with minimum of 155gr bullet. You can't "prove" your loads has enough kinetic energy with muzzleloaders.
    -William Blake-
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,714 Senior Member
    It's great to see dachshunds as actual working dogs. Here in the USA they wind up inside peoples homes, totally frustrated, needing to get out and run around when they cannot.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    Good shooting. Nice hunt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Congratulations on a successful hunt. That invite to join the club is a big compliment!
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,353 Senior Member
    Congrats! Nice to be out in the woods and score and early deer! Almost that time of year in Texas! Just one week to go!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    Congratulations!

Now....go get the moose��
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    double congrats, hey.
    This message has been deleted
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,310 Senior Member
    Congrats on the successful hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,760 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    It's great to see dachshunds as actual working dogs. Here in the USA they wind up inside peoples homes, totally frustrated, needing to get out and run around when they cannot.

D

I was going to ask about that. . .dachshunds. . .tiny little weiner dogs. . .for hunting DEER??? Thought they were more of a rabbit sort of thing.:confused:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,714 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I was going to ask about that. . .dachshunds. . .tiny little weiner dogs. . .for hunting DEER??? Thought they were more of a rabbit sort of thing.:confused:

Dachs - badger hund - dog = badger dog. They were bred to follow and fight badgers in holes. There are of course mini dachshunds and then "regular" dachshunds. The wiry coated variety is pretty well protected against brush and low enough to get through most everything. Add to their character that they track extremely well and are louder than their size, they make pretty good drovers in brush.

Yes, rabbits fear them, but they are much stouter animals than most will give them credit. They are notoriously hard to train and house break as they have a will of their own and really need a lot more exercise than the average home dweller is ready to give these "little wiener dogs".

FWIW we have a mini long hair dachshund that is 6 years old and about 10 lbs that hiked with us for miles all over the trails in the North Carolina Smokies like it was just another walk.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    I've hunted with dachshunds, they can be as good as any dog, though you have an advantage over big dogs;
    they run slower and the prey runs slower as well.
    This message has been deleted
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,617 Senior Member
    I've never heard a dachshund bay. But, IMHO, there is no "prettier" sound than a pack of 12" beagles running a rabbit or deer on a cold, clear morning.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    You got the better eating of the 2 deer, hope you see a 60"+ moose:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11