Home Main Category Clubhouse

The girl child is bumming...

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,607 Senior Member
Consider this a scam alert.

Home from college, she worked the summer up in the Dells. Her thought was to take a semester off and work, saving money in order to avoid (as much as possible) borrowing toward schooling.

She also figured to get an apartment off campus and commute, so as not to finance living arrangements. I wasn't crazy about her taking the semester off, but the idea had merit.

She found a place not far from O'Hare on some rental website for what I felt was a 'too good to be true' price... because it was. The guy leasing the house gave the story that work had taken him away from the area and he hadn't had much luck selling, so he priced it to rent quickly. Lease agreement looked as good as could be expected, with a clause allowing the renter to break the agreement with 60 days notice.

Well, Ryan Sullivan of Austin TX (if that is who and where he really is) wanted her to wire money through Wal-Mart which got Mrs. CGG's interest. She googled 'Wal-Mart scams' or some such and one of the things that popped up was 'rent scam'

Turns out the dude isn't renting the house. He doesn't own the house. Basically, he snapped a pic of the place and listed it as his own.

No money was lost, but she is pretty blue.
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,287 Senior Member
    NEVER repeat NEVER lease a apt sight unseen. Even if it is legit, you might be moving in next to a crackhouse and a dog kennel.

IMHO Realtors are just above lawyers in the honesty and forth coming dept, but like lawyers, sometimes you have to stick your arm in the hornets nest and take the pain.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    I've heard of this scam and all to common. If you went on through with it you'll see several others showing up to move in on moving day.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,607 Senior Member
    NEVER repeat NEVER lease a apt sight unseen. Even if it is legit, you might be moving in next to a crackhouse and a dog kennel.

IMHO Realtors are just above lawyers in the honesty and forth coming dept, but like lawyers, sometimes you have to stick your arm in the hornets nest and take the pain.

Technically, not sight unseen. She and her roommate went down to look at it, but the dude's Secretary "couldn't make it there" to open the place up. Kids walked around the outside, looked in windows, etc. Checked out the neighborhood too.

I didn't know this at the time. My understanding was they had met the secretary and gone through the house. She didn't say that directly, she just didn't divulge that bit of info. She didn't think it was necessary...:roll:

She learned an important lesson that cost her no more than a bus ticket and some shoe leather. I guess I can't be too hard on her. Wanting something to be true isn't quite the same as making sure it is.
    George Carlin
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Lesson learned: trust no one.

And after getting ripped off to the tune of at least $30k by the realtor gunch who listed our townhouse the last time we moved, I'll trust an attorney all week and twice on Sunday before I trust another realtor.

(didn't realize what had happened until a couple months afterwards, starting thinking and putting 2+2 together, had absolutely no evidence...)
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

And after getting ripped off to the tune of at least $30k by the realtor gunch who listed our townhouse the last time we moved, I'll trust an attorney all week and twice on Sunday before I trust another realtor.

(didn't realize what had happened until a couple months afterwards, starting thinking and putting 2+2 together, had absolutely no evidence...)

How did that happen? I'm asking as a guy who would like to avoid such things in the future.
    George Carlin
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,636 Senior Member

Most real estate agents and brokers are honest. They are required to abide by a strict set of ethical standards. Unfortunately you got one of the bad ones. I was in the RE biz for two years, and here in Florida the requirements to get in the business are fairly high, but it's not a perfect system.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    Glad your wife got suspicious!! It's getting hard to keep ahead of all the scams these low life's dream up these days!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    MMD, 30 years ago I too was in the business, first as a realtor, then as a mortgage broker. When Black Tuesday hit and the market crashed, the only people closing deals were the ones willing to do anything - anything - to make it work. I got out and never looked back.
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    How did that happen? I'm asking as a guy who would like to avoid such things in the future.

We hired the agent because she had done business in our neighborhood and had name recognition. Since I had done it before, I had already run the comps and had an idea of where to price it.

She disagreed and suggested we price it lower, and ultimately we agreed because the market was still a bit uncertain. Lo and behold, a buyer suddenly appeared the day after we listed, who just 'happened' to come thru the agent. She reluctantly gave up a point off her commission, since she now had both sides.

At closing, we learned that the buyer worked for the closing attorney, which at the time didn't bother me. Later we learned from neighbors that came over to see our new place, that the girl who bought our townhouse slapped up fresh paint and flipped it back on the market, with the same agent, at the price I originally wanted to go with.

So my theory is that the agent had this girl on the hook from the very beginning, and manipulated the deal to get two quick sales back to back, at our expense. And I have no evidence at all to prove it, other than my own experience as an investigator, with a particular set of skills.

But if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and craps like a duck........
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    We just had the same experience selling our Mothers house in Milwaukee. She had lived there since 1942. After some upgrades, repainting the inside and refinishing the original 1927 Maple floors, the agent thought to sell it faster was to DROP the price another $10,000! My brother contacted another realtor, when upon seeing how fantastic the inside was, listed the house for $40,000 MORE than the previous realtor. It sold in one day for $5000 above asking price for CASH! I'm sure the previous realtor had a buyer in mind for a quick flip, and he still gets a good, easy, commission!! Plus a kick back on the flip!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    That kind of scam is getting way too common. All those shows on flipping houses doesn't help any; too many people see a way to screw the owner, and a realtor with less than honest principles can make it work at both ends.

There's another one regarding vacation hotel and beach house rentals that are booked online. People are taking pictures of the places, inside and out, and putting them on line with too good to be true prices. They mimic the online places like Trevago, and you send them the money. Then you show up for your too good to be true vacation rental and are left with no place to stay.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    That real estate agent would have a tough time working for a while, with Louisville Slugger knees and elbows!
    :angry:
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    That real estate agent would have a tough time working for a while, with Louisville Slugger knees and elbows!
    :angry:
    Jerry

I agree, but I don't believe for one second that this massengill container is a real estate agent. Still, the thought of kneecapping him makes me smile:devil:
    George Carlin
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    I have seen in Detroit several times where a "landlord" will lease out a bank owned repo to somebody-- getting a security deposit and several months of "discounted" rent under the premise that they are getting the house repaired and just need to get someone in there. When I show up to do repairs on what is supposed to be an empty house, they show me their bogus rental agreement, call the "landlord" and he is never to be heard from again.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 201 Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I agree, but I don't believe for one second that this massengill container is a real estate agent. Still, the thought of kneecapping him makes me smile:devil:

Right. never were a real estate agent. A scammer at work.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    This scam happens quite often in South Florida. For a short while there was two scammers targeting incoming Military families. That didnt last long though
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,636 Senior Member
    MMD, 30 years ago I too was in the business, first as a realtor, then as a mortgage broker. When Black Tuesday hit and the market crashed, the only people closing deals were the ones willing to do anything - anything - to make it work. I got out and never looked back........

Yeah, I agree. The mortgage industry has a lot of crooks in it. My wife took a job as a mortgage agent back in the late 90's and realized the broker had shoddy ways of doing business by accepting clients with very poor credit scores. She quit after a few weeks, and found out later that the husband/wife team that owned the brokerage were indicted for fraud and went to jail. In the run-up to the 2006-2007 RE market crash, there were again lots of mortgage brokers pulling scams to make money as well.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!