Home Main Category General Firearms

Recommendation for 2 bolt action 22s

2»

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    No semi autos remember?

And no going over $200 each. Kind of limits my options.

Dude, Savage MKII or Marlin XT22. Both box magazine fed BAs.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Kick in the difference for 2 RAR...............be a good uncle!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Gene has a good point about making these a lifetime purchase.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with a couple Henry lever actions either...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585242136

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    Would take some searching but Remington Model 5 / Zastava /Charles Daily is outstanding BA .22LR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice rifles for the price indeed, pretty much what most enthusiasts of "old school" .22LR rifles (Wood and steel...no alloy and/or plastic parts) would look, but problem is that it's a tinkerer's rifle; as far as I know the importer in the U.S. carries no parts catalog, and according to what I've seen with those brought here, almost all of them will need some light gunsmith work to work properly.

Mine needed tweaking with the magazine spring, body (Rough edges) and mag release system; also had to re-shape extractors and polish the chamber a bit to ensure the best possible feeding & extracting reliability with most ammo brands/types (And even so, still have a few issues with some the cheapest bulk ammo like the Winchester 333/555); finally, had to give the stock a proper finish since they come a little too "on the rough" for my taste.

Accuracy? Nothing to envy to my CZs.

For those willing to do such modifications to ensure proper function and with the ability of eventually scrounging/building parts, it's a great rifle for the money, but if looking for (Usually) "out of the box" reliability with nothing more than the usual work (Scope installation, trigger adjustment, etc.) and full customer service backup, it might be a better idea to look for something less "exotic".
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/587289086

I have a Charles Daily (so) model & it is a shooter. I bought it with only the original magazine. I scored four Remington Model 5 mags on an online retailer that has slipped my mine for now.
    Mine has runs like a sewing machine. Being a Zastava the stock is rudimentary & blocky looking but the Model 5's have better looking stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    No semi autos remember?

And no going over $200 each. Kind of limits my options.

It almost kills me but I have to agree with cpj here. A Savage or a Marlin is plenty accurate for a kid, and a great learning tool. And being a BA it's probably a hair more safe than a Semi Auto for a kid just learning to shoot and learning safety. The more I look at the Savages the more I love em. They're solid and a really good value for the money, and you can get two and still be at or under their budget.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    You might have been lucky with your Zastava; the 5 I've seen here (Including a full-stock .22WMR) needed some degree of work to achieve proper reliability. Once trigger is adjusted to shooter's needs and the ammo it likes most is determined, they show great accuracy.

A handful of those Model 5s were imported here but with a very nice looking laminated wood; took some time for the store to sell them since price was the same as a CZ-452, so not a lot of people find them interesting. If the Stutzen stock model hadn't arrived here, I wouldn't have ventured to get one.