Home Main Category General Firearms

model 70 trigger

Bill M.Bill M. MemberPosts: 65 Member
About a 20 year old Mod 70 featherweight in .280 Rem. Should I fool with trying to adjust the Win trigger or should I just drop a Timmy or other trigger in it to start? Great shooter for the first 2 shots. Lousy for 5.

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I have a 1955 M-70 fwt. in .358 that skinny barrel is good for 3 shots fairly fast then it opens up the group

These are hunting rifles, the M-70 trigger is about as simple as you can get, and can carefully and safely be adjusted to 2 - 2 1/2 lbs

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    The factory trigger can be adjusted fairly easily. But it won't be as good as a Timney. And featherweight barrels tend to be two-shooters with subsequent shots wandering all over the place due to barrel heating issues. That's the tradeoff between lighter weight and accuracy, most of the time. Had a Rem. Model 7 in 7mm-08 with the light barrel and it was a two-shooter, also. Two holes touching at 100 yards, and then the next three shots opened the 'group' to about 3 1/2". I sold it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You can adjust the trigger.

You may have a bedding issue?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I own a featherweight in .243 and a lightweight carbine in .308 and I can get three accurate shots out of the .243 before the barrel heats up and they start walking and I can only get two out of the lightweight carbine before that buggywhip barrel heats up and does the same. I rarely take two shots at game so it's a non issue. Replacing the trigger won't change the issue but free floating the barrel might help as the lightweight mod 70's have tension between the front of the stock and the barrel. as the barrel heats up, that tension has more of an effect on the barrel. I pillar bedded the .308 and it helped a good bit with accuracy and it brought the third shot in a bit closer to the first two.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    How often does the deer or other game stand still so you can put a nice tight 5-shot group in the boiler room? If it does, two things are happening- - - -the deer is deaf, and you're missing with every shot!
    Jerry
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Three...

It could be an animatronic lure used by the fin and feathers group to catch poachers...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Three...

It could be an animatronic lure used by the fin and feathers group to catch poachers...

Possum police, Earl, it's possum police! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Depends on where they be. Sometimes they're known as the mullet patrol around here.

Mullet being a fish, not a hairstyle.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    One of my 'go to' rifles is a Tikka t3 light in 7mm08. It has a similar weight/profile barrel to a Winchester featherweight. At the range it will shoot sub moa 3 shot groups if I allow the barrel to cool between shots................if I don't allow the barrel to cool, the groups will open up. Its not a bench rifle but is a damn fine hunting rig. Never needed more than one shot to take meat.

However, if you are dead set on getting a good 5 shot group with that rifle, I have a simple solution.

Look on gunbroker etc for another couple of that exact same rifle. The logistics of carrying 3 rifles could cause problems...............but you should be able to get great groups by shooting 2 out of each. :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Depends on where they be. Sometimes they're known as the mullet patrol around here.

Mullet being a fish, not a hairstyle.

I know what mullet are. They are the fish that swam around on the surface of the ship basin in Mayport, FL and ate the corn and green peas out of the poop that was pooped out the overboard discharges. And people eat mullet! Yum! :vomit:

The only redeeming thing about mullet is that they make GREAT grouper bait. :up:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I know what mullet are. They are the fish that swam around on the surface of the ship basin in Mayport, FL and ate the corn and green peas out of the poop that was pooped out the overboard discharges. And people eat mullet! Yum! :vomit:

The only redeeming thing about mullet is that they make GREAT grouper bait. :up:
    :rotflmao:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member

Mullet aint the only fish to eat poo, in the 50s one of Dade Counties sewerage outlets was about 2 miles off Bakers Haulover, better known as the stink hole it was a hotspot for Grouper, Snapper, Jacks, almost anything that swims.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    ... Had a Rem. Model 7 in 7mm-08 with the light barrel and it was a two-shooter, also. Two holes touching at 100 yards, and then the next three shots opened the 'group' to about 3 1/2". I sold it.

Had one just like it. Did the same thing you did.

I also had a Ruger 77 Ultra light .257 Robts. except it was a one shot wonder. One shot was on the money and the next one would make you wonder where it went:jester:
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

I was thinking about bringing smoked mullet to the next SE shoot and you're ruining it for everybody. You haven't been able to pump your holding tank overboard inside of 12 miles for probably fourty years now so the point isn't relevant anymore. What do you think your dog was eating or licking right before you let it lick your face?:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me