Flying with ammo and a firearm

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,354 Senior Member
I have my Wyoming buffalo hunt this weekend. It's been a few years since I've flown with my firearm. I can't seem to find a a definitive answer. Can i put the firearm and the boxed ammo in the same hard case or do they have to be separated? If my mind serves me correctly and it's been a bit flaky lately I was able to combine both in my Startlite hard case.

Is this correct? As always thanks for your support!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,080 Senior Member
    Separate.

Check your airlines www they will have exactly what they require.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,345 Senior Member
    I put them together when I went to Alaska. But again, check with your airline.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,163 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I have my Wyoming buffalo hunt this weekend. It's been a few years since I've flown with my firearm. I can't seem to find a a definitive answer. Can i put the firearm and the boxed ammo in the same hard case or do they have to be separated? If my mind serves me correctly and it's been a bit flaky lately I was able to combine both in my Startlite hard case.

Is this correct? As always thanks for your support!
    The way I did it when flying to the forum shoot in TN a few years ago was guns in the locked case and ammo boxes separate in my checked suitcase.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Per TSA you can put ammo in your checked hard case. I suggest keep it is in its original packaging.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,427 Senior Member
    I put some in my gun case, some in my checked bag. Just in case. Make sure you have those TSA locks on your case. Saves a ton of headaches.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,681 Senior Member
    Where at in WY are you doing that? Flying through Denver?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    Where at in WY are you doing that? Flying through Denver?

Flying into Denver for business on Thursday and heading up to Wheatland WY on mid Friday morning.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,681 Senior Member
    Flying into Denver for business on Thursday and heading up to Wheatland WY on mid Friday morning.

got time for dinner or a beer thursday evening?
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 414 Member
    Do not put a TSA lock on you're gun case. I repeat no tea lock on a gun case. You should be the only one too have access too you're case. When you check in they will probably look at the case and gun too make sure it is unloaded. Then you put you're lock back on and and it on its way.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,351 Senior Member
    I'm a little confused here about one person saying to use a TSA lock and another saying not to. What is the reasoning?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    The reason you don't want a TSA lock on your rifle case is know one should have access too but but you. You need too have a couple extra locks just in case some Jack wagon cuts you're lock off. When you check in they will ask you too open the case too verify the firearm is not loaded. If for some reason they need too open it back up after you have checked it they will call for you. Usually hey pull you in another room ask yu you too open it verify it again and the n you lock it back. You are allowed 11 pounds of ammunition some airline will let it be in you're gun case some want it separate. I would be prepared either way I use a small pelican case that can be locked. I will then put it in my checked luggage. If you do not have room in you're check in luggage.the pelican case can be locked and checked by itself. Hope this helps

I do, PM sent!

Johnny reb wrote: »
    Do not put a TSA lock on you're gun case. I repeat no tea lock on a gun case. You should be the only one too have access too you're case. When you check in they will probably look at the case and gun too make sure it is unloaded. Then you put you're lock back on and and it on its way.

Interestingly enough I have the same Master Lock's on that case for the last 15 years. I just couldn't remember if I could include in my ammo in the hard case which is allowed. I'm good to go, hopefully I'll have some great pics to show later this weekend! Going to stop by the Great Gun Sporting range in Nunn Co on Friday morning to check my zero. They have a 300 yard range according to their website and it's not too far out of the way!

Thanks everyone!

Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I'm a little confused here about one person saying to use a TSA lock and another saying not to. What is the reasoning?

The reason to put a TSA lock on it......
    Your gun/case will inevitably set off the bomb sniffer machine in the back room.
    So, they have to search the case, just like any other checked bag.

If it has a TSA lock, the TSA can do this easily. Otherwise, they have to come find you, drag you in the back, have you unlock your case.......you get the picture.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,837 Senior Member
    Guns unloaded but it's fine to have the guns and ammo in the same locked case. I do it relatively frequently with no issues at all. I use good TSA locks but you don't have to.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    The TSA website will tell you not too put a TSA lock on a gun case. The TSA website says only you should have access to you're firearms. With a TSA lock anybody with a key could open you're case.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,166 Senior Member
    I do, PM sent!

Get a range report on some of the beer MHS has been making for a living please, he needs to get some of it canned or bottled.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,657 Senior Member
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    The TSA website will tell you not to put a TSA lock on a gun case. The TSA website says only you should have access to you're firearms. With a TSA lock anybody with a key could open you're case.

For Goddess's sake, there sure is a lot of mis-information in this thread.

Johnny Reb is correct. You absolutely, positively DO NOT USE A FRIGGIN' TSA LOCK ON A GUN CASE! As per the TSA site. It doesn't get any clearer than that. You "can" get into some hot water if you DO use a TSA lock. One more time: NO TSA LOCK ON A GUN CASE. PERIOD. THE END. FINIS. CLOSE CURTAIN. END OF SHOW.

Now if you put your LOCKED gun case into another case - that case can, and should, utilize a TSA lock. I suggest cable locking the gun case to the frame of whatever outer case you put it in, if any.

And yes, you can place properly packaged (read: Original packaging) ammo in the gun case - just NOT in the gun. There's other ammo packaging you *can* use, but just make it easy on yourself and leave it in the original boxes.

Lastly, DO NOT FORGET TO DECLARE the firearm at the luggage counter - otherwise you'll be in a world of hurt!

And yes, I have flown with a firearm. Recently.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,837 Senior Member
    Guns unloaded but it's fine to have the guns and ammo in the same locked case. I do it relatively frequently with no issues at all. I use good TSA locks but you don't have to.

Ooops, sorry, the other guys are correct. My guitar cases have TSA locks, my gun cases do not. They have Master locks on them. Sorry about posting bad info...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    zorba wrote: »

Johnny Reb is correct. You absolutely, positively DO NOT USE A FRIGGIN' TSA LOCK ON A GUN CASE! As per the TSA site. It doesn't get any clearer than that. You "can" get into some hot water if you DO use a TSA lock. One more time: NO TSA LOCK ON A GUN CASE. PERIOD. THE END. FINIS. CLOSE CURTAIN. END OF SHOW.

Now if you put your LOCKED gun case into another case - that case can, and should, utilize a TSA lock. I suggest cable locking the gun case to the frame of whatever outer case you put it in, if any.

And yes, you can place properly packaged (read: Original packaging) ammo in the gun case - just NOT in the gun. There's other ammo packaging you *can* use, but just make it easy on yourself and leave it in the original boxes.

Lastly, DO NOT FORGET TO DECLARE the firearm at the luggage counter - otherwise you'll be in a world of hurt!

Guess I've been doing it wrong all these times. It's a wonder I'm not in jail. Sorry for the bad info.
    You have a link to the rule where it says to NOT use TSA locks?
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,891 Senior Member

While I personally wouldn't use a tsa lock on a case (they can come find me to open it)
    I guess I Missed the official ruling saying NOT to use a tsa lock.

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    While I personally wouldn't use a tsa lock on a case (they can come find me to open it)
    I guess I Missed the official ruling saying NOT to use a tsa lock.

Yep, and there it is:
    Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock.

Which would preclude a TSA lock by definition.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Print out the TSA page and have it on you just in case ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,891 Senior Member
    Yep, and there it is:

Which would preclude a TSA lock by definition.
    It does not specifically say "no tsa locks."
    But we are dealing with the gooberment
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    It does not specifically say "no tsa locks."
    But we are dealing with the gooberment
    Correct, and correct. What it does say is that NOBODY can have a key to the locked gun case EXCEPT the passenger. Logic dictates this rules out TSA locks. *channeling Mr. Spock*

While you could get by with using a tsa lock why would you. Too me that would be like giving a stranger the key too you're home. I have seen several people use a tsa lock on gun cases. 2 times I have seen tsa tell someone they needed too change the lock too a non tsa lock. Which would be a rare circumstance it is advisable too print out the tsa page and you're airlines page that covers flying with firearms. I have seen too many not know the rules for there own airline. I hope you have a good trip and are successful. Post a report when you get back