Home Main Category General Firearms

Phase two. Paging Teach.

124»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Only $345??? Hell, I'm in.

The Krieger barrel I put on my .250 Savage cost me $325 about 6 years ago. It would probably cost about $375 now. That was a bead blasted stainless barrel.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    120 posts and no one has mentioned the .35 Whelen?

Whelen on left, 30-06 on right. 30-06 is parent cartridge... 20 % more energy although not a real long range cartridge. Ballistic twin of the .35 Remington mag. Can be down loaded with .357 magnum bullets to lower velocity.

320px-35whelenand3006srg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.35_Whelen

I have a 30-06 in the safe waiting to be converted one day.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    My 700 Classic in .35 Whelen is one of my favorite hunting rifles but I didn't bring up the chambering because I had the impression that the OP was looking to build a long range snot slinger.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    He definitely needs to spend some quality range time with a rifle that will back him out from under his hat before deciding to invest in the time and expense to build one. About three boxes' worth of ammo just might bring about a moment of clarity about whether it was a good idea to shoot something that cripples and kills- - - -kills what's out front and cripples what's behind!
    Jerry
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    6.5 06 it is fellas. Now, use my money in deciding a trigger.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Timney is always my choice, but the trigger snobs will be speaking up in about 5- - - -4- - - -3- - - -2- - -
    Jerry
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I dropped a Timney into my Remingon 788. It is... light. I've kinda got to relearn how to use the trigger. I'd use them again.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Timney 1 1/2 - 4 lb w/safety can be had for a price that leaves money for other goodies and is easy to install. It has to be easy, I did it myself and it works perfectly.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    He definitely needs to spend some quality range time with a rifle that will back him out from under his hat before deciding to invest in the time and expense to build one. About three boxes' worth of ammo just might bring about a moment of clarity about whether it was a good idea to shoot something that cripples and kills- - - -kills what's out front and cripples what's behind!
    Jerry

My Savage .338 Win. Mag. has a composite stock and weighs in at at almost 9 pounds with scope. It has a good quality recoil pad on it and I use a PAST shoulder protector, too. After 20 rounds, I'm done. That's why I only have 3 loads for it with 3 different bullets. If those three bullets won't do the job, drag out the .50 BMG. The .338 kills at both ends, but the .50 doesn't.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Hey you Mauser guys, check out the thumb tang safety on this one.
    100_56001.JPG
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: