Home Main Category Hunting

ammo selection

groove269groove269 New MemberPosts: 14 New Member
Hello All, I'll be going pig hunting in 2 weeks and need help selecting a non-lead ammo fairly to cheaply priced for my Remington 783 300 win mag. Mind you I still need to sightin my rifle and practice shooting (first time gun owner and shooter) so I would like to keep the cost minimal. Thanks!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,124 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, lead free ammo ain't the cheapest available. Personally, I've never used lead free hunting ammo. But, look in the various sites for Hornady or Federal. They both load less free bullets. Maybe Remington and Winchester as well. I don't know.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,157 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! Here's my 2 cents on the matter. Shoot what you want. If you're strictly hog hunting my advice is pretty much my ranch rules when someone comes out to hunt hogs. Head shots only, below the ear or in the eye socket if they're looking at you. This way they drop where you shoot them, you don't ruin any meat and you won't have to track a wounded animal that runs off. (coming from the person who tracked his hog he hit while bow hunting two days ago)

If you're against lead bullets, I shoot Federal Premium Barne's ammo when I'm deer, antelope or buffalo hunting. It's not cheap but I doubt you'll find any solid copper ammo/bullet cheap!

Best of luck and post some pics after your hunt. BTW where will you be hunting?
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,451 Senior Member
    California requires lead free bullets for hunting because some idiots think a condor might eat a bullet from a gut pile and get sick.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    As Zee said, the words "cheap" and "lead-free" seldom intertwine. I just cringed last week when I placed an order for 2 boxes of Barnes 140 grain, .284 TTSX bullets...to the tune of $35 per 50 bullet box. Yep - $70 for 100 *bullets* - not even loaded ammo. They shoot extremely well in my 7mm-08, but the cost is brutal. It goes without saying that .300 Win Mag loaded ammo is going to sting the pocketbook for sure. Just sweeping Midway for options in .300 Win Mag, you're looking at $40 - $60 per 20 loaded rounds on average.

You will need to hunt around and look at all offerings for a price point that meets your needs from one of the lead-free manufacturers: Hornady, Federal, Barnes, etc. Moreover, if you expect shots anywhere outside of 150 yards, I'd highly suggest buying and testing several of them to find the most accurate load for your weapon.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,801 Senior Member
    I would suggest using cheaper, lead core, ammo of the same bullet weight for practicing, and getting the scope "close" THEN use the more expensive, lead free, ammo for a final sighting in and the hunting.

300 Win Mag ammo is kind of pricey anyway, and the lead free will cost even more.

Something like this for your practicing (3-5 boxes @ $21.99ea)
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/936707/prvi-partizan-ammunition-300-winchester-magnum-150-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

and then a couple of boxes of something like this for a final scope adjustment and hunting (On sale $40.99ea and currently the cheapest lead free ammo they offer)
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/110188/federal-premium-vital-shok-ammunition-300-winchester-magnum-180-grain-trophy-copper-tipped-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

edited to add: Yes, I realize I suggest the same bullet weight, then listed 150gr lead core and 180gr lead free. Midway is currently out of stock of the 180gr PPU ammo and the 180gr lead free is on sale the cheapest

Here's the cheapest 180gr lead core ammo, on sale ($24.99 ea) and with a rebate available
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/389907/federal-power-shok-ammunition-300-winchester-magnum-180-grain-speer-hot-cor-soft-point-box-of-20
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,191 Senior Member
    The POI does not change appreciably at hunting ranges with my Savage 116 .300 Win Mag as long as I use 180 gr bullets, which it seems to prefer. Buy or reload some inexpensive rounds and shoot the expensive factory/reloaded lead free loads for the hunt.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If you live where lead-free ammo is required, move. If you're some sort of tree-hugger who believes the BS about lead contaminating the environment, you're an idiot. Lead is MINED- - - - -it comes out of the ground. Putting a few grains of it back into the environment isn't going to hurt a thing.
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,285 Senior Member
    The world wide anti Plumbium hysteria...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    If you live where lead-free ammo is required, move. If you're some sort of tree-hugger who believes the BS about lead contaminating the environment, you're an idiot. Lead is MINED- - - - -it comes out of the ground. Putting a few grains of it back into the environment isn't going to hurt a thing.
    Jerry

Many years ago when I lived in Texas, a friend of mine and I were sighting some rifles at a range outside of Fort Worth and some bunny hugger approached us and asked if we knew what we were doing to the environment. My buddy got in his face and asked him if he knew where lead comes from and he answered "from the earth". My buddie's response was "that's right axxxole, and we're just putting it back!"
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,416 Senior Member
    groove269 wrote: »
    Hello All, I'll be going pig hunting in 2 weeks and need help selecting a non-lead ammo fairly to cheaply priced for my Remington 783 300 win mag. Mind you I still need to sightin my rifle and practice shooting (first time gun owner and shooter) so I would like to keep the cost minimal. Thanks!

Sooooooo....the question that needs to be answered first is.....do you want lead-free ammo because you're required to use it or because you want to use it? It would be so much easier to help you out if we knew what state you lived in.....Frankly, as a first time gun owner/shooter, I wish you would have come here and talked with us before you bought your rifle.....I would have done my best to convince you that a relatively light .300 WM isn't the ideal rifle for a first time shooter....however...we are where we are....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,608 Senior Member
    ...maybe if the OP is a first time shooter and rifle owner, we should be suggesting he shoot with some managed/reduced recoil loads? .300 Win Mag is kinda stout for someone unaccustomed to it, I would think.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    ...maybe if the OP is a first time shooter and rifle owner, we should be suggesting he shoot with some managed/reduced recoil loads? .300 Win Mag is kinda stout for someone unaccustomed to it, I would think.

It's pretty stout for someone who is accustomed to it. I figured that he got it cheap, or free, or from some bad advice. I hope he doesn't have a fixed 25x scope on it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,553 Senior Member
    Kee-rist guys! Save the political/eco grousing. He asked for a lead-free load. Leave it at that.

Lead-free ain't cheap. That's how it is. Best thing to do is select your round, zero it in, shoot it at a few different ranges to learn it's arc. Then do your practice with something cheaper, but as close as you can find to that trajectory, to learn your trigger, sight picture, positions etc. Will it be exactly the same? No, but unless you're practicing to hunt in excess of 500 yards, it's good enough to get familiar with your rifle.

The Barnes bullets work well and are factory-loaded by Barnes and a number of other companies. They penetrate better than many similar weight bullets in lead, so it's common to drop down a level or two in weight to get a flatter trajectory for the same level of terminal performance.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • groove269groove269 New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    Hello everyone! Thank you for all the responses, I live in CA (Los Angeles) where we are pretty much stripped of every right to bare arms. Anyway, I was invited by a friend to head up north to an Airforce base where they're full of boars. I got the gun for cheap! New remington , I almost gave up my search till one night it showed up on armslist and I jumped on it...I wish I would have done a little more research on the type of ammo but now I'm here with the pretty powerful gun. I still need to sight my scope it came with. I'm hoping someone will be nice enough to help me at the range. If anyone nearby and is heading to a range this weekend and wouldn't mind me tagging along to show me the ropes please let me know. I go on the hunt next week
    You should have a PAST recoil pad to shoot off the bench and you need to keep your eye back from the scope or you will get nailed in the eyebrow.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous?cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting+-+Range+Accessories-_-PAST-_-680235

The recoil can be stout, get the stock tight on your shoulder, get your cheek down on the stock, good grip on the forestock, I can shoot about 10 rounds of regular factory loads of a slow rate of fire and it is time to take a break. If the barrel is too hot to touch, take a break.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Hop a plane to Nashville- - - -you're welcome to use my 300-yard range and I'll be glad to coach you on the fine art of keeping your face far enough back from the scope to avoid getting a crescent-shaped scar above your eyebrow. Hard-kicking rifles and rookie shooters don't play well together, and you'll most likely end up with a bad flinch from the recoil and the muzzle blast. There's not a hog in the world that won't get just as dead from a bullet from a .243, a 7MM-08, a .270 or a .30-06 as it will from that piece of field artillery! I'd strongly advise that you find some masochist with short personal equipment who enjoys being abused by a magnum rifle, and sell it to him. Then find yourself a somewhat more suitable rifle and sally forth to slay a whole sounder of pigs! If you insist on using the .300 mag, maybe you can find someone who can handload some reduced-recoil ammo while you're shopping for something more suitable to shoot.
    Jerry
    Thank you for the offer, I'd love to learn how to properly use this thing. I was originally looking for a 30-06 but most were well over $400 , I almost backed out of the invite as I was unsuccessful in finding a rifle , this hobby is very expensive! Do you think a muzzle break will help with the recoil?
    Thank you for the offer, I'd love to learn how to properly use this thing. I was originally looking for a 30-06 but most were well over $400 , I almost backed out of the invite as I was unsuccessful in finding a rifle , this hobby is very expensive! Do you think a muzzle break will help with the recoil?

Yes, but the loudness is even more hearing damaging than it starts out as, I choose some more recoil over worse ears. The recoil is manageable, my .300 was the first gun I bought with my own money, you need to practice with it on the bench, you will not even pay attention to the recoil when shooting a pig if you have your shooting form down
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,416 Senior Member

Yes...an well designed BRAKE will help tame recoil...certainly won't eliminate it but it will help. You've got a lot to do and very little time to do it.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    One thing that will help you manage recoil is to do a limited amount of shooting from a bench position. Use a set of shooting sticks or other type of rest from a standing position so you can "roll with the punch" and the felt recoil will be quite a bit more manageable. Shooting a hard kicker from a sitting position behind a bench might be necessary for dialing in a scope, but don't overdo it. Definitely don't try any prone position shooting until you get very well-acclimated to the kick.
    Jerry
    Nope- - - -that "Hot-Cor" is lead. It's bonded to the jacket during the bullet construction process, which makes it a little tougher and less likely to lose the lead core as it hits an animal.

Here's some Norma lead-free ammo, but it's almost three bucks a pop- - - -not my first choice by any means!

http://www.bullets.com/products/American-PH-300-Win-Mag-155-Grain-Kalahari-Ammo-Box-of-20/BL10444

Here's one from Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/903080/hornady-superformance-gmx-ammunition-300-winchester-magnum-180-grain-gmx-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

Jerry
    They'll plainly say "Lead Free" most of the time.

If you look at my first post, I gave you the link to the cheapest lead free ammo MidwayUSA had in stock. It's still over $2 per round
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/110188/federal-premium-vital-shok-ammunition-300-winchester-magnum-180-grain-trophy-copper-tipped-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,427 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    The world wide anti Plumbium hysteria...

:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I have a .300 Weatherby Mag. with a brake that lessens the recoil down to something akin to a .308 Win. Yeah, it's loud as loud gets, but I use good hearing protection. I would use good hearing protection with or without a brake. If you don't like wearing good hearing protection while hunting because it blocks any sounds an animal might make, try something like Walker's Game Ear or some other protection that lets lesser decibles in but blocks out high, ear damaging decibles. Actually, my hearing aids do this. Since I accidently discovered this I no longer turn them off while hunting, so I get the best of both worlds.

I don't like LOUD ear damaging booms and I surely don't like bone crushing recoil either. Also a good soft well engineered modern Recoil pad will get you close to where you want to be.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    [/PHP]

It's called H.OT core because they pour hot molten lead in the jacket and it bonds with the back of the jacket. So it's full of lead.

Another thing, if you're shooting a Magnum 30, I don't know why you want a pip squeak 150 grain bullet. That's a waste of Horsepower. Also, it's fast but it won't last. I shoot nothing but 180s and 200s in my .300. They will take care of business.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I was doing an internet search for reduced recoil ammunition featuring non-lead bullets, but didn't find anything. You might try the same. Remington, Federal, Hornady and Barnes, to name a few, offer loaded ammo with non-lead bullets, but I didn't see a combination of both non-lead and reduced recoil. Maybe someone else knows if such exists.

Since you have to use non-lead ammo, and the availability of reduced recoil ammo loaded with non-lead seems iffy at best, I suggest you use the lightest bullet weight possible. For your 300 Win Mag, this is most likely 150 grains. The rule of thumb is that the lighter the bullet, the less the recoil. If you can find reduced recoil ammo, even better.

You might look up the companies I've listed above and give them a call. Most have customer support staff who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

One last thing. The first time you pull that trigger, snug the butt of the rifle tight to your shoulder, point the muzzle down range, and hold your head well back. Don't even worry about where the bullet lands other than making sure it's some place down range. This will give you a feel for the recoil. After that first shot, use a more traditional shooting position.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    One last thing. The first time you pull that trigger, snug the butt of the rifle tight to your shoulder, point the muzzle down range, and hold your head well back. Don't even worry about where the bullet lands other than making sure it's some place down range. This will give you a feel for the recoil. After that first shot, use a more traditional shooting position.
    VERY good advice!!!! :agree: :that:

Thank you sir, great advise! I definitely wouldn't want that scope making a mark on my head
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I was doing an internet search for reduced recoil ammunition featuring non-lead bullets, but didn't find anything. You might try the same. Remington, Federal, Hornady and Barnes, to name a few, offer loaded ammo with non-lead bullets, but I didn't see a combination of both non-lead and reduced recoil. Maybe someone else knows if such exists.

Since you have to use non-lead ammo, and the availability of reduced recoil ammo loaded with non-lead seems iffy at best, I suggest you use the lightest bullet weight possible. For your 300 Win Mag, this is most likely 150 grains. The rule of thumb is that the lighter the bullet, the less the recoil. If you can find reduced recoil ammo, even better.

You might look up the companies I've listed above and give them a call. Most have customer support staff who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

cpj wrote: »
    Ear plugs, silly.

I don't wear ear plugs in the woods, I guess I would have to if I had a brake on.