Home Main Category Hunting

ammo selection

2»

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    California requires lead free bullets for hunting because some idiots think a condor might eat a bullet from a gut pile and get sick.

Currently only in "Condor" areas. Soon state wide. If you are on private land shoot lead. Military reservations or Federal land, lead.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    The results of an inexperienced shooter with a .300 Win mag. This is my own son. I should have been a bit more vigorous in warning him. Anyway, what is done is done. The scar isn't noticable at all. Heed the warnings about recoil. Hold it properly. If you bought the rifle for under $400 and like new, you deserve a big "You Suck" (which is a compliment here). Good luck!
    20160528_184744_zpsnrqcymhm.jpg
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Recoil can be sneaky- - - -about 40 years ago I managed to break a lens on my glasses with a scope end bell-- - - - -on a friend's .22 rimfire! The cheap Japanese-made scope was mounted wrong and had that black ring around the edge that results from incorrect eye relief. Two days later I ended up at the eye doctor's office to have a sliver of glass removed from my eye. That's when I started wearing polycarbonate plastic lenses!
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,416 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I don't wear ear plugs in the woods, I guess I would have to if I had a brake on.

The noise level behind my .300 WM with a brake isn't bad...it's people on either side of it that get the full effect.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • groove269groove269 New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    Holy cow! That is something that would happen to me, I'm really thinking of making a straight trade for a lightly used .270 . I purchased a bipod, sling, bore cleaning supplies all still packaged for the 300 win mag.

Jermanator wrote: »
    The results of an inexperienced shooter with a .300 Win mag. This is my own son. I should have been a bit more vigorous in warning him. Anyway, what is done is done. The scar isn't noticable at all. Heed the warnings about recoil. Hold it properly. If you bought the rifle for under $400 and like new, you deserve a big "You Suck" (which is a compliment here). Good luck!
    20160528_184744_zpsnrqcymhm.jpg
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    groove269 wrote: »
    Holy cow! That is something that would happen to me, I'm really thinking of making a straight trade for a lightly used .270 . I purchased a bipod, sling, bore cleaning supplies all still packaged for the 300 win mag.

Oh, you don't want to do that. Just trust me on this one... :tooth:

In all seriousness, you have the right idea. Trading that thing for a lighter chambering is probably a good idea, and you can still use most of what you already bought for the new (to you) gun. Like you, I bought a .300 Win Mag as my very first hunting rifle on the advice of a friend, and I can say without question that it was a mistake. Given how little I need or use large/magnum rifles to this day, I would've been WAY better served with a .243, .30-06, 7mm-08, .308 or similar chambering. That gun ended up shelved until I killed something with a 7mm-08, and ultimately ended up getting sold without ever killing a thing. There's just no reason to take the punishment of a rifle that hard-hitting for hog or deer, and certainly not until you get more shooting experience under your belt. Like Teach said, a bigger powder charge like that can induce a flinch that will be tough to shake, and that can't be good for your shooting.

Side note: I actually had a comment published in Field & Stream's "Cheers and Jeers" section a few years back extolling that while a man is free to use whatever he wants, a smaller chambering that can get the job done is usually a sensible choice. Apparently, someone on the editing staff agreed.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

If you can make a straight trade for a slightly used .270, do it! Just don't tell the folks in the forum that you did so.

For reasons that go way back, the .270 has been the object of ridicule for a long, long time. It's all in good fun, and despite what anyone says, it's a great cartridge for deer sized game (included hogs). I've even taken a big cow elk with one.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I love my .300 Win. Mag.....but it' would NOT be my choice for an all-around rifle. It's purpose built for killing deer way out there in bean/wheat fields while I am ensconced in a hide of some sort - and that's it.. I spent considerable time (and money) making it as accurate as possible and negating recoil as much as possible...it has a very effective brake, a custom built stock and it weighs 17 pounds....and it recoils like a .243...and I can watch bullets impact through the scope. It's important to remember that I wore out a .308 before I considered building up a .300 WM....

Remember that shooting well is an acquired skill....it's so much more than pointing a rifle at a critter and yanking the trigger. You have a lot to learn and it's really hard to learn that stuff when you have a rifle that's pounding you every time you send a round (and a couple of bucks) downrange..

For this hunt, I would recommend that you stick that .300 in a safe and find a .308, .243, 7mm-08, package gun (Savage, etc), get it zero'd and hang a paper plate at 100 yards, and shoot the hell out of it while concentrating on sights, trigger manipulation and hold.

Remember that hog was not put there for target practice and deserves a quick, humane death. If you can't, in clear conscience, deliver that...leave the gun at home and go on the hunt anyway...you'll learn a lot that you'll need to know down the road,,,
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 676 Senior Member
    You all are going too scare this guy too death. Have proper form when you shoot yu you will be alright. It's a 300 Mag not a howitzer. Shoot the gun have fun it's really not as bad as alot let on
    I would agree with you EXCEPT that the guy is a novice gunowner/shooter...and a lightweight .300 WM is NOT the rifle to learn to shoot with. He has no clue what "proper form" is....
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    My 2cents. I have a 300 win mag, and there is no way I would have wanted as my first rifle. If you can trade for something less stout I would do so. You do not want to scare yourself away from the joy of shooting with a bad experience.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ........... He has no clue what "proper form" is....

This help?

wPE7nGz.jpg
    What would be the sweet spot of the calibers?
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    If you can make a straight trade for a slightly used .270, do it! Just don't tell the folks in the forum that you did so.

For reasons that go way back, the .270 has been the object of ridicule for a long, long time. It's all in good fun, and despite what anyone says, it's a great cartridge for deer sized game (included hogs). I've even taken a big cow elk with one.
    Oh Dude! Entirely too much ass.... positively Kardashian-esque....and that ain't a compliment. Butt you could probably use it for a rifle rest....
    Proper form is crucial

shush wrote: »
    This help?

wPE7nGz.jpg
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

That's like asking how long is a piece of string. It depends.

For you stated needs, there's no shortage. I'd look for something in the 6mm - 7mm range. This could be .243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, 25-06, 270 Winchester, 7mm-08 or .280 Remington. Don't overlook the .308 Winchester, either, as it's a very popular chambering and has a wide availability of ammunition in lots of different varieties.

The ones I listed, with the possible exception of 6mm Remington, have great availability of factory ammo to choose from. Since you're new to shooting and hunting, and don't reload, availability of factory ammo is a big consideration.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

The guys have been pretty helpful....Were it me I would get a .308 simply becasue of ammo costs and variety......OR something based on a .308 case....243, 7mm-08....
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member

You will get 1000 answers, but I have always felt that the
    308 was a very versitile cartridge.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Oh Dude! Entirely too much ass.... positively Kardashian-esque....and that ain't a compliment. Butt you could probably use it for a rifle rest....
    Hey now! What is wrong with having a butt like that?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    One factor that's been overlooked is, how big are you? If you're 6' 4", 280lbs, you might not have a problem with that rifle and be confused about what everyone is talking about but if you're 5' 8" and 140, it might put you on your back.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    An old friend who ran a small gun shop in our neighborhood called the big magnums "Cripple And Kill" guns- - - - -kills what's out front and cripples what's behind!

"A 150 pound Englishman takes a 15-pound rifle from his gunbearer and fires it at a 1500-pound Cape Buffalo. Both fall down. The first one who is able to get up is declared the winner of the contest. If neither is able to get up, their possessions are divided according to the Law Of The Jungle!"

:jester:
    Jerry
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    If you can make that trade for the 270, do it! A 300 Win Mag is NOT a beginners gun, and you will likely not enjoy shooting it. Handling recoil can be learned, but it has a curve. Beyond the recoil there is the blast and noise, it'll shock you, a magnum even more so.

Plus, you will be able to get lead free for a bit less money. Your only options for lead free are going to be Federal Trophy Copper Tip, Nosler E-Tip, Hornady GMX or Barnes VORT-X. Yea I probably missed a few brands, but outside of Hornady and Nosler, who make their own lead free, other ammo manufacturers are going to be loading Barnes bullets (Barnes, Double Tap, Federal might still offer them) Also remember most manufacturers of lead free, will suggest you "step down" in bullet weight from what you would shoot with a lead bullet. IE a 30-06 with 180 gr lead bullets, you should try 165 gr. Lead free bullets do not behave in the same manner as a lead bullet, and they are extremely long bullets. Lead is much more dense then copper or gilding metal. In the case of the 270, if using lead bullets, I would personally be looking at 140 or 150 gr bullets for hogs. With a lead free, 130 gr will be perfect. If you keep the 300 Win Mag, I'd look at 150 or 165 gr lead free. Bonus, less recoil.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.