Home Main Category Hunting

Watching hogs tonight

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,151 Senior Member
Decided to go for a ride on 4-wheeler about an hour after dark. All of my feeders have solar powered green flood lights on them. I cut the lights on the back trail and stopped about 100 yards just off the trail heading to one of the stands. Sure enough through my binos I could see 7 or 8 hogs. The winds were perfect so I walked up to the stand about 75 yards away and just watched them feed. Didn't bring a rifle as I'm trying to get one with the bow. They're interesting to watch, there's always one wound tight and scurries off for no reason making the other follow. A minute or so later they come back and continue on feeding.

What was really cool, a couple of them left and walked across the food plot. It's really cool as well as eerie to see they're big black bodies in dark moving across the food plot.

I'll bow hunt that stand again tomorrow evening. I didn't hunt it the last couple of nights! Just cool watching the ranch critters at night. Not to mention the ranch is so far away from the nearest town, when you look up you see gods heavens and galaxy like few can ever see it!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    There's something very gratifying interacting with the creatures of the night.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,151 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    What kind of sight do you have on your bow? I have a really small LCD light on mine tha really helps with low light shooting.

My boys got me a Barrnett crossbow from Cabelas two years ago. It came with a fixed 4X scope. I took a button buck last year thinking it was a doe. Wasn't sure if I was going to like it, got an expandable Primos tri-shooting stix to use as rest. It's made all the difference in the world, solid as a rock! Sometimes I'll take my sons compound bow out depending on the stand I'm hunting.

I have a strict set of rules and owner laws at the ranch, since all of my feeders have the green solar panel flood lights on them, when the lights come on during deer season, hunting is over for the evening. Anyone is welcome to go out and hunt hogs at night since our hogs are primarily nocturnal. Heaven help anyone who pulls the trigger on deer when the lights are on, something I take serious as a heart attack! I make sure everyone knows and understands the rules.

Though I got to say it's really cool watching deer and hogs at night under the feeders.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    This is turning into a real cool game of cat and mouse with the hogs out there. It sounds like a whole lot of fun trying to get in close on a critter that has learned extremely fast how to adapt in survive in an area where they virtually have a bounty on their heads! That said, go poke one with that crossbow of yours and get us some pics ASAP!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 156 Member
    Sounds good! Where can get info on hunting hogs on your place?