Got a mole problem.

RocketmanRocketman BannedPosts: 1,118 Senior Member
Title says it all. My immediate backyard is being taken over with mole hills. I can't ever find or see them tunneling in the act so the shotgun method won't do. Any way to rid these demonic yard destroyers or lure them to an early death? I have no pets either but I'm almost tempted to by a damn Jack Russell. Those dogs could dig a prison escape route.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,081 Senior Member
    Poison is the only thing I've ever had any success whatsoever with against moles and gophers.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    How and where is it applied?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,269 Senior Member
    Head down to Tractor Supply....they will have all the stuff you need with instructions on how to use it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,841 Senior Member
    Use explosives

http://www.molecat.com

http://www.rodenator.com

There are YouTube videos.... enjoy
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    You will have to dig the hole open, either by hand or with a small trowel/shovel. Put some poison in it, or set a death klutch trap. Leave the hole open, the cool air coming in will annoy the mole and he will come to close the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHXuoqlyqQM
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
    I like explosives. I'm getting some good "homemade" ideas. I was under the impression that a mole never reused a tunnel but that is apparently false.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Start your lawn mower and put the choke on about halfway so it's running good and rich. Take a piece of metal flex tubing and route the exhaust gas into a burrow. You'll either gas 'em underground, or force them to surface where you can play whack-a-mole with whatever garden implement or firearm you choose.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,222 Senior Member
    Wrigley's Juicy Fruit chewing gum is one way to kill them, too. Take a piece of gum and divide it into three pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and put that in the 'run'. Moles eat it, it stops up their plumbing, and they die of terminal constipation.

Best way to keep them out of the yard is to put down granules that kill the grub worms they eat. No food for moles, no moles. Bayer makes some good stuff, and it also kills ticks, fleas, and chiggers. First rain puts the poison into the ground and the grubs die underground.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Teach wrote: »
    Start your lawn mower and put the choke on about halfway so it's running good and rich. Take a piece of metal flex tubing and route the exhaust gas into a burrow. You'll either gas 'em underground, or force them to surface where you can play whack-a-mole with whatever garden implement or firearm you choose.
    Jerry

This...! I like this. I'll be doing this tomorrow. I know where all of their burrows are. Thank you!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    [video=youtube[/video]

This one.

Warning @$£%*&; is used.

The Dunkirk spirit,eh?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Get rid of the insects and grubs they are eating and they will move on. Get a good pesticide and apply liberally.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,229 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry
    cpj wrote:
    Absolutely false. My buddy traps them and other critters for a living. Victor mile traps are the best he says.
    As to poison, it will work if they eat it. But then they just crawl off, never to be seen again. A trap...you get to see their crushed, broken body. There's satisfaction in that.

And one thing overlooked, the moles are there for the grub worlds. Get rid of them, and you won't have as many moles.

I have been dealing with these critters for almost 15 years. What you are describing sounds more like gophers than moles. The gopher makes a fairly large pile of sandy soil above it's 1.5-2 feet deep tunnel, whereas the mole makes a surface tunnel that you can clearly see and no sand mound.

I have tried drowning with water, road flares, gopher poison, home made explosives and smoke bombs, a flex tube attached to my lawn tractor and gopher traps. The most effective is the lawn tractor and the trap, but I prefer the trap because it works better and is not as complicated to set up. Finding the main tunnel is not that easy. They run up to 2 feet underground, and the surface opening gets plugged up with the sand and dirt it excavates after digging the underground, so there's no clear trail. The mound you see on the surface is just an approximate location, because the tunnel to the surface is usually dug at about a 45 degree angle from the surface down to the main tunnel, and sometimes you have to dig out the dirt under the mound up to a 3 foot radius before you can find the tunnel. These critters are exasperating sometimes. Once you find the main tunnel the rest is easy. Someone may not agree with my method, but this is what I have experienced and what has worked for me.

Good Luck.

Gopher Control:
    http://icwdm.org/wildlife/PocketGophers.aspx

Gopher Traps: This is what I use and THEY WORK!
    https://www.amazon.com/Various-Black-Hole-Gopher-Trap/dp/B000P9F1JQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477058464&sr=8-4&keywords=gopher+traps
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,081 Senior Member
    Some of you may remember this story, but this thread brings it to mind:

Many years back, my father was fighting a gopher that was gnawing on a crab apple tree at the edge of the yard. He tried flooding, poisons, traps, smoke, you name it - nothing worked. So one night at sometime around 0230, he decided to do something about it. He didn't bother to inform the rest of the household of his plans, so when the .303 Enfield went off, my ass came off the mattress about 6 inches! Sounded like field artillary...

Dunno if he hit the gopher, or the shockwave got him, or it just scared him away - but there was never another problem with that tree. If the gopher survived, its probably STILL running - I know I would be!!!!!! :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    We have gophers like crazy around our place. I am constantly at war with them. Since we are in an irrigation farming area, they are a huge problem. They dig tunnels everywhere that create leaks and washouts from irrigation canals and under field berms.

Using exhaust through a tube into the tunnel works. I've also used traps and they work as well. But since I have dogs that like to hunt gophers and dig their holes out, I don't want a dog to come home with a trap clamped on their nose.

The most fun way I've found for gophers is to go step on and tightly compress the mounds of dirt all around a certain area. For some reason, this seems to piss them off and they come up to form a new mound. Not sure why. I just sit in a lawn chair with a cold beverage and a pellet gun and wait for their head to pop up. Probably not the most effective way of controlling the population, but it's way more fun.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    Mole away granules
    you broadcast it over the yard
    better yet use a lawn spreader. Directions on the bag.
    You have to water it in or wait for it to rain to be effective.

Since a big ingredient of the granules is caster oil, you can get caster oil and put it on the yard with a garden hose spreader.

I use the granules and spread it before a forecast rain event.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 156 Member
    Traps do work I have used them over the years.