The Brown truck (ski)

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,552 Senior Member
of happiness has just signaled winter is coming

newski_zpswtn4kagn.jpg

Brand new still in plastic (2014) Elan Amfibio 186's with head bindings. They are a little out of my league at this point, not much, but I would rather have a ski I had to ski up to than a ski I had to force. In 5 trips with season rentals I was overdriving the 174's I rented. These are about 2-4 cm longer than I wanted and are built for wide carving and a little more speed than I have gotten on my old stuff and the rentals. Its been a while, but I am ok with that. Checked the boots and set the DIN a little lighter than I was on my old stuff. The bindings break smooth.

Ordered from levelninesports.com 388.00 shipped. https://www.levelninesports.com/elan-2014-amphibio-88-xti-skis for 66% off, I can ski stuff that is a little older and still new.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    Ski a few Long Blue Cruisers for me this year, if You would. I have not been able to go Skiing in a long time. And I sure miss it. But my Wife's health has failed, and She was my best Skiing Partner. Have fun this year, but be care full.
    ken
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Will do.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    That brings back memories...I hung my skis up over 20 years ago when my soon to be wife reminded me that the house we were restoring was not wheel chair accessable.

26 years ago, I learned a valuable lesson...when you weigh 125 and borrow skis from someone who weighs 240, adjust the dang bindings!

Have a great and hopefully safe winter season! I am jealous.
    Support your local Scouts!
    I know where you live, and you dont ski?? You could pee on Montage or Shawnee from your front porch. Get them boys out, they wife can push you around later. I already told mine that at my funeral I dont want anyone sayinf "Gee, he looks good." I want all of them saying "Holy shimitt. Hes worn out."

My mother took me to Big Boulder at about 14 and I got hooked. I skied through HS doing the Poconos and hit VT, I lived nearer Elk. Was stationed out west and skied WA, came back to PSU and Elk. Got employed and commuted into NJ and was about 15 min from Shawnee, made some trips to OR. I was pretty good. I could do any run, and enjoyed single blacks. Then the kids came and I locked into a financial plan so for about 16 years I went maybe twice. They grew and I got to where I wanted to be, and I found Blue Knob had cheap midweek lift tickets online, and told the wife and kids, "Im going skiing. The bus pulls out at 7A. You are welcome to come, but I'm going." I have found that after a long lay off and at a fat 49, stuff that I did as a hard 20 just wasnt there, but it was still fun. 3 years later I still cant go like I did, but paying for a NH vacation this winter with a ski in ski out condo is a lot easier.

Take them, they will have it for a lifetime.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,426 Senior Member
    I can't wait until I live somewhere with four seasons again and I can get back into winter sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new flats! I've got a pair at the house that need a workout. What resorts are you hitting out there most frequently?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Congrats on the new flats! I've got a pair at the house that need a workout. What resorts are you hitting out there most frequently?
    I have money down for Okemo this Jan. Locally I have about a 3 hill choice, 7 Springs, Hidden Valley, and Blue Knob within about 2 hrs. 7 Springs (Yinzer hill, "Yinz er going to 7 Springs?) and Hidden Valley (better for families and better cust service, IMHO) were bought by the owner of the Pirates and he thinks they are in Colorado. Way to much for what you get IMHO, but I dont go for the atmosphere. However if you are in Pittsburgh, they are close enough to make the cost of the trip balance out the cost of the lift ticket. From where I am I can run to Blue Knob midweek with a 5 hr flex pass bought online for under 30 bucks/per. It is a 1K vert drop and has a nice long green, some decent blues, and I honestly have not tried many blacks yet. It is considered a skiers hill and it is my go to. It is a lot of natural snow, BK doesnt make a lot of snow, so that is limiting unless you have a good year.

You travel to the east a lot so are closer to the Poconos. Not sure how far north you are, but MY list for places to go would be... Elk, again, a skiers hill. Midweek Jack Frost and Big Boulder, and Camelback were all ok, better lodges, packed on the weekends. Shawnee is a little hill that is farther south, not real technical but a good family hill. The best thing about it is the NY and NJ skiers drive past it on the weekends and it wasnt real crowded. I know I skied Montage a few times, but nothing clicks in my mind.
    Oh, I've taken them. They tried skis and snowboards, with lessons on each. They said "and you used to do this alot?"...it didn't take for them.

Yeah, Camelback, Montage, Big Boulder, Jack Frost and Shawnee are all within 30 minutes. And when I was younger, they were 1.5 to two hours, and every decent friday, I'd leave high school and be skiing...a set of K2s in 180cm were fun trying to be squeezed into a 1975 Firebird...LOL!
    When they get older, show them ski bunnies. They will go.

I bet your HS has a ski club to.
    When they get older, show them ski bunnies. They will go.

I bet your HS has a ski club to.

No, catholic HS...we had debate and mathletes (math competitions)...I was an accountant, guess which I was in...LOL! Oh, and they hated when I brought the ramp truck with my race car on it on some fridays when I had scheduled hot laps for friday evening. Yup, I wasn't quite right!

Oh, and ski bunnies do make the world go 'round, for sure.
    Meant the ones the kids are in now.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    We skied every weekend we could in high school, we found a bus driver that liked to ski and bought his lift ticket so he would let us drink beer on the school bus, we hit it hard to get our money out of our season tickets, well below zero and having fun one run at a time.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    When I was in college, my buddy drove bus. He drove for the HS ski club. I tagged along and we got the kids rate and he got paid for the run.