Home Main Category Personal Defense

A tip of the hat to our Houston LEOs

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
About an hour ago (530pm Fri) I was settling down to catch the news when I heard the "swoop" of a cop car siren, and right out my front window, a car w. lights flashing pulls across the curb, blocking the sidewalk.

They'd just cut off the running of this guy in a hoodie (surprise surprise, guy wearing a hoodie), the cop car blocking the gap from street to our security fence, with noplace to go, and almost instantly, the cops in the car jump out and grab the guy.

He took a swing at one of them which promptly got him tackled by 2, then 4 LEOs, as a 2nd car pulled up. The guy continued to thrash around on the ground for a bit, just like you see on "Cops" and with similar results. The cops actually weren't rough with the hoodie, showed restraint, just held him firmly till he was cuffed, pulled up, searched. The guy apparently had a backpack that the cops emptied on the trunk lid of the cruiser.

I've got no idea exactly what the hoodie had done but he was arrested and dealt with in a quick and professional manner. He was under control and going nowhere in about 20 seconds.

It was wide screen live TV right there for me to enjoy. A thumbs up to my first rate Houston LEOs! Sometimes things go just right.

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    I hear folks whine "There's never a cop around when you need one." Nice to see this was a different scenario.

And my answer to their whine is, "That's why it's good to take care of yourself!"
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Living in the middle of Houston but in a fairly affluent neartown neighborhood, we get excellent police patrols and general attention. Of course the old adage "when seconds count the cops are just minutes away" still applies.

We get the occasional 911 call hereabouts, usually for some traffic crash late night. First cruiser will usually pull up in less than 5 minutes, about as good as you can get. There's a substation 3 blocks from my place.

I'm not a LEO and cannot speak for them, but from the LEOs I've known personally and from my experience working for a paper, I've never seen the sort of "thug" behavior that liberals attribute them. Naturally there are exceptions and sometimes cops overreact, but as a rule, they simply don't whale away on a perp. Not that they feel aggressive but as I see it, it elevates the common perp to higher status to receive a beating - they're just not worth the effort, ha ha.

I also have a very untested and only guesstimate about police overreacting and being too rough. Nothing to back this up and so it's only a "feel" i have, but if the police force has a pro-cop leadership in the chief's office and at city hall, the police feel more comfortable and are less frustrated, therefore more easy going. If there's an adversarial relationship with top brass, it can sometimes come out via the street cop being too aggressive. Just a theory.

You get a large city with thousands of cops, and sure, you'll get a few creeps and "black glovers".
    You know, Sam, you're theory has something to it about departmental tensions bleeding through to street actions. Never thought of it that way before.

Never worked LEO, but I was about as close as a citizen could get without attending an academy and taking an oath. Working armed security, in public housing, in a high-crime/gang/drug area, can open your eyes to a lot of things. One thing I found out quickly, you have to tread a fine line between being a tough guy and being a diplomat. The young turks can need a firm hand and a physical authority to keep from testing you, while a little respct goes a long way towards getting the same from most. I have vivid memories of both situations, and we had officers (some LEO's even) who could go overboard on the "bad cop". We had enough of those, so I tended to be the resident "good cop", and while my personal policy was to never shake hands with someone on the street, a nod and a professional attitude was worth a lot.

Now granted, our company had a reputation as a "hands-on", kick-tail-and-take-names organization from taking over the properties some years before, so I had that image backing me (for better or worse) in most instances. But it was amazing to me how far a little common respect could go in getting residents to comply with noise curfews or policy of no open intoxicants outside the home. Learned a lot in that gig.
    Like I said, my idea is just a theory and has no real stats to back it up, just a general impression of the street cops from various cities I've lived in. The rudest and least likeable were the San Fran LEOs, the best were Kansas City and Houston. Boston, Fr. Lauderdale, and Pittsburgh were about middle of the road.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    That's great to hear, Sam. I love hearing that a criminal got handled and it's even better to hear that it was handled by the book. That takes away a lot ofthe defense avenues that can allow an otherwise guilty person walk due to some technicality or emotional response by the cops. It also helps prevent frivilous tort suits against the city.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Aside from general good LEO ethics, watching the cops, I sort of sensed "Hey, pal, we don't even have time to beat you up, you're so far down our list of stuff we need to do. You aren't even worth the effort." I was just like picking up some trash that had been dumped roadside.

Last night was a small housefire about 2 blocks down the street, and the fire truck was right there, asap. We've got a nice new station about 8 blocks from my house.

I'm overall very very pleased about our Houston LEOs and other first responders. Very professional, great attitudes. I've lived where the police response was very iffy -- El Paso for example -- but they've got their act together here. And if you wanna be a bad guy, you are not advised to try to shoot it out with Houston cops or the county LEOs either. They will shoot you quick as a flash, and they usually don't miss. None of this TV "standoff" stuff here.

This is, after all, Texas.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    When I worked EMS sometimes there was a bit of tension if the patient was under arrest for felony assault on a LEO, then I would inform the LEO if they wanted the perp to live, I needed to actually be allowed to actually treat him.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • UglygunUglygun New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Glad to hear that HPD has begun to recover from the mauling it received under gun grabber, chief Lee Brown's reign of terror.
    A friend and I were introduced to the uneducated thugs who's hiring he facilitated to right previous wrongs.
    I lived just outside of Houston close to Katy off of Mason road. We always called the constables who would arrive in prompt fashionWhile, the County boys would drive around the block with lights and siren blaring before arriving at the requested location.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    My oldest son is HPD...

Just sayen
    temmi wrote: »
    My oldest son is HPD...

Just sayen

Tell him thanks from a conservative Montrose resident.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    About an hour ago (530pm Fri) I was settling down to catch the news when I heard the "swoop" of a cop car siren, and right out my front window, a car w. lights flashing pulls across the curb, blocking the sidewalk.

They'd just cut off the running of this guy in a hoodie (surprise surprise, guy wearing a hoodie), the cop car blocking the gap from street to our security fence, with noplace to go, and almost instantly, the cops in the car jump out and grab the guy.

He took a swing at one of them which promptly got him tackled by 2, then 4 LEOs, as a 2nd car pulled up. The guy continued to thrash around on the ground for a bit, just like you see on "Cops" and with similar results. The cops actually weren't rough with the hoodie, showed restraint, just held him firmly till he was cuffed, pulled up, searched. The guy apparently had a backpack that the cops emptied on the trunk lid of the cruiser.

I've got no idea exactly what the hoodie had done but he was arrested and dealt with in a quick and professional manner. He was under control and going nowhere in about 20 seconds.

It was wide screen live TV right there for me to enjoy. A thumbs up to my first rate Houston LEOs! Sometimes things go just right.

Are hoodies gonna be the new pick-up trucks?

:tooth:
    Eli wrote: »
    Are hoodies gonna be the new pick-up trucks?

:tooth:

Okay, that went over my head. Sorry.

:driving:
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Okay, that went over my head. Sorry.

Instead of "cops nabbed baddie"........you make a point to mention "cops nabbed baddie, who was wearing a hoodie".

Perhaps the wearing of a hoodie automatically signifies nefarious intentions?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Very important info...is your hood up and are you saggin.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I am wearing a hoodie as I type this. Really.

Yeah but we KNOW you have nefarious intentions. :tooth:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Eli wrote: »
    Instead of "cops nabbed baddie"........you make a point to mention "cops nabbed baddie, who was wearing a hoodie".

Perhaps the wearing of a hoodie automatically signifies nefarious intentions?

I got the first reference but what I missed was the mention of pickup trucks. What's that got to do with bad or good guys? Here in Houston it's a badge of honor to own a F-150 or whatever, makes you an instant cowboy, even if "all hat and no cattle" describes it.

No, as far as the hoodie goes, I tend to look suspiciously at anyone wearing a hoodie that's pulled down tight around his face as though it's 12 degrees out when in fact it's 65.

And who would wear a hoodie indoors?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    And who would wear a hoodie indoors?

Wait for it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Wait for it....

No.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I hear folks whine "There's never a cop around when you need one." Nice to see this was a different scenario.

And my answer to their whine is, "That's why it's good to take care of yourself!"

Good ol' Houston Texas Cops, some of the best on the beat anywhere in the land. Although I agree with the saying "When seconds count the cops are only minutes away," this is not a bash on cops. It's the nature of the beast and I don't think this saying is meant to bash cops. This saying is to point out that a cop has other duties than to guard me and mine personally. That's life. Cops by and large do an exemplary job, no matter what city they're in. But this is why we need carry laws. If people that carry are responsible citizens they are an asset to the cops because the cops can't be everywhere at once.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Absolutely, Snake. And the best, most grounded officers I've encountered all have the mentality that a legally armed citizen is the best deterrent to violent crime there is, and have a lot of respect for those of us who go through the process to carry concealed. The cop on the street knows the reality and that there is NO way (especially in these tight times where budgets are slashed, resources stretched, personnel "optimized", and the brass pressures everyone to do more with less) they can be everywhere at once. The administrations tend to be the liberal, pie-in-the-sky that "you need to call the police and rely on them to protect you and yours."

Police officers have my undying respect (with the provision that I can retract that respect if I have cause to) for doing what they do.
    Correct, snake. Saying Cops are only minutes away isn't a slam at the cops at all. It's totally true that it isn't the job of cops to stand guard over us 24/7. Self protection is exactly that.

Incidentally, I've spoken to many many police and they have ALL quietly approved of civilian carry, just saying that people need to know how to handle their firearms and shoot them accurately, and know the law. Which makes perfect sense.

Most of the Houston area cops I know also shoot regularly and tend to carry fairly large handguns -- .45s, .40cal, and some look down a bit at 9mm, thinking it's okay but preferring something that begins with a "4". Most of the younger cops seem to like top quality polymer hi-cap pistols, Glocks and Sigs and XDs, those a bit older tending toward the 1911s.

But none of them are shy about shooting regularly and practicing a lot. We know that some "repressed" police forces up East are made to feel guilty about having guns by their liberal leadership, but following the disaster that Chief Brown was, Houston cops are very pro-gun. And their County area LEOs, Harris and Galveston county especially, are the same. I love 'em.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    A lot can happen in 5-10min..

A note about HPD, my wife and I babysat half a cadet class a few years back.

The 40S&W is the standard caliber for HPD.

They can use almost anything for a backup but a 25cal (I think).

Any HPD you see with a .45 as his main Sidearm is old enough to be grandfathered.

Also… now they must either buy a Glock, M&P, Sig or an XD maybe one other.

BTW my son just requalified as an expert 95% out of 100%… and the HPD test is pretty darn hard.

One last thing HPD is required to buy their own guns AND ammo... I see the guns but the Ammo?