Home Main Category Personal Defense

Knife versus Gun (News Story)

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,300 Senior Member
http://www.newsradioklbj.com/news/austin-local-news/anti-prop-one-sign-vandal-confronted-arrested

(Background: Austin is one of the most congested cities in the US. This is the 3rd or 4th time that the city council has come up with a proposition that is sold as "increasing mobility", yet has almost no money in it for actual trafic relief. In this bond, 3/4 of the money is set for bike trails, 'beautification' (planting flowers and stuff in medians, etc...) and actually lays not one inch of new pavement to relieve traffic)

So, some militant liberal is tearing down signs against the proposition, and is caught by the property owner. Pulls a knife on the property owner, and then finds out that the owner's son carries a .45 at work.

But remember, he is a VANDAL- not a violent criminal.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Isn't a person brandishing a knife by definition a violent criminal?:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    http://www.newsradioklbj.com/news/austin-local-news/anti-prop-one-sign-vandal-confronted-arrested

So, some militant liberal is tearing down signs against the proposition, and is caught by the property owner. Pulls a knife on the property owner, and then finds out that the owner's son carries a .45 at work.

But remember, he is a VANDAL- not a violent criminal.

I'm gonna assume that last sentence of yours is sarcasm as the guy was a criminal when he vandalised the sign and escalated things when he produced a weapon.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,300 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I'm gonna assume that last sentence of yours is sarcasm as the guy was a criminal when he vandalised the sign and escalated things when he produced a weapon.

Bingo. headline says "Vandal", story says he is a violent attacker. In TX law, threatening someone with a knife is deadly force. He is pretty damn lucky that the son with the .45 did not end the threat in a more permanent manner.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Isn't Austin kind of the "San Francisco" of Texas?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member

It's a relative thing... relative to the rest of Texas? Yes. Relative to San Francisco? Not so much.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,300 Senior Member

272 square miles surrounded by reality.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    "The vandal was arrested and charged with criminal mischief and making a terroristic threat."
    Awesome :cool2:

How the hell is this a "terroristic threat"? He had a weapon...sounds more like "assault with a deadly weapon"....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    How the hell is this a "terroristic threat"? He had a weapon...sounds more like "assault with a deadly weapon"....

Exactly. Both of those charges are misdemeanors. Should have been felony assault.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    If he made a terroristic threat then send him to Gitmo for waterboarding 3X per day. That way he will at least be a CLEAN terrorist.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep, I concur wholeheartedly and I'd have a MAJOR problem bringing charges against the son if the knife wielder developed an acute and lethal case of "lead poisoning" if I was on the grand jury it was presented to.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,864 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Exactly. Both of those charges are misdemeanors. Should have been felony assault.

Terroristic Threat is a felony here. Could have been something more serious (Terroristic Threat is pretty serious) if the distance had been closer, I think. If he had actually "assaulted" the guy (made a move toward harming the victim) instead of just drawing a knife, it could have been Ag Assault.

Here, a terroristic threat has to actually put the victim in fear of his life or grave danger. And it can't be conditional, like "take one more step and I'll cut you." The defense will always ask, "Were you afraid of my client cutting you?" If the citizen says, "I never was afraid of the guy, since I had a .45." There goes the case. I don't know about there. Generally, cops tend to charge seriously since they figure the perp will plead down.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's Austin- - - - -I'm surprised the guy didn't offer to suck start that .45!
    Jerry