Home Main Category Hunting

Has anyone hunted elk in Kentucky?

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,151 Senior Member
My wife has a lot of family in the hills of Knott county Kentucky. They tell me it's where the original Elk herd was reintroduced in 97 and has the largest population of elk in the state. I've been offered a lot of places to hunt on some of her kin's properties. I've only visited there a few times and these are some steep terrain mountains. My buddy and I are considering applying for a tag for next year. Has anyone hunted elk up there, is it pretty good hunt? The reading I've done makes it sound very doable!

Thoughts?
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    No, but I know a disabled vet (marine who lost both legs to an IED) who go to hunt there and shot a beautiful bull that now resides in his home as a pedestal mount. He spoke highly of the experience.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Never hunted in that area, but got cousins all around Hazard and Sassafras. Last I heard everyone of 'em was out of jail :jester:
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,151 Senior Member
    Her kin is in the Holly bush area. Nice folks most.still have all their teeth!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,196 Senior Member
    You'll never leave Harlan alive! My grandpappy mined coal in Harlan county, and was there for the infamous Battle of Evarts in '30/'31.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 675 Senior Member
    Not hunted elk there but I **** hunt alot around those areas and can see elk daily.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Her kin is in the Holly bush area. Nice folks most.still have all their teeth!

From Kentucky and got all their teeth? Wow!, must be their well water. Or they have a good dentist. Hell, I can't even find anybody in Seadrift Texas that has all their teeth. In fact, I don't even have all MY teeth, and I'm not counting my wisdom teeth.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    You'll never leave Harlan alive! My grandpappy mined coal in Harlan county, and was there for the infamous Battle of Evarts in '30/'31.

Now wait a minute Zorby, they ain't plannin' on goin there wearin' a skirt! So they'll probably get out alive(Do you hear Banjos?)

:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.