Home Main Category Hunting

Had To Hold My Fire!

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
elk_zpszvnzlldw.jpg

Well within bow range, great angle, easy shot, slightly down hill.

But I was in a state park.
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,961 Senior Member
    Nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Beautiful. There is now a herd in NC. Maybe one day.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    On a friday before opening day this season a young 4× walked right up to me well I was out for a walk. He didn't know I was there, and when he realised I was, he didn't know what to do. My heart was beating quick.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,673 Senior Member
    Nice :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Where was the pic taken Dan?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Lone Elk State Park, Missouri.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    State parks are huntable grounds where I'm at.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Lone Elk State Park, Missouri.

And that was it? The lone elk?

It will be nice to see elk and bison return in our wilds nationwide.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,151 Senior Member
    Very cool picture, I bet your mind was in full what if modes if you weren't in a state park!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    There were elk all over the place. This one was a great presentation for a shot...had I been bow hunting. One photo of a 7X6 was sitting in the woods about 25 yards from me while I was on the trail...but it was really blurry. Combination of camera phone, overcast skies and my poor skills.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,203 Senior Member
    Nice pic. Too bad about the circumstances of it, though.

One of the most frustrating hunting experiences I've ever had was having a 6x6 bull elk about 200 yards away (208 by my range finder), in plain sight, and only have a buck tag. I saw him twice that day, once in the morning and again about 6 hours later. The upside is that I came back to the same spot two years later, with a bull tag, and got one just like him.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Nice pic. Too bad about the circumstances of it, though.

One of the most frustrating hunting experiences I've ever had was having a 6x6 bull elk about 200 yards away (208 by my range finder), in plain sight, and only have a buck tag. I saw him twice that day, once in the morning and again about 6 hours later. The upside is that I came back to the same spot two years later, with a bull tag, and got one just like him.

Yeah, and how I remember that! I remember thinkin' how bad I hated you and how you could pull a vacuum on a shrimp net at 6000 yards!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Seriously, that was one beautiful animal. I haven't before or since seen anything on this forum to equal it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.