Home Main Category Hunting

DEER - your local bag limits and how you play them

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 9,509 Senior Member
So, here in California, you can buy up to two deer tags per year on your license. Mostly buck only, but there are antlerless options for some zones and junior hunts. I've found that even one of our little 120# muley bucks keeps my wife and I, or my mom and dad pretty well in red meat for the year.

But then I hear of the Eastern states that issue scads of tags cheap as a means of keeping the whitetail populations under some semblance of control. Stuff like seven does and three bucks to a license, or have to shoot X number of does to qualify for a buck tag, etc...

So, if you DO live in such an area, what does your local DFG let you do, and how do you play it - quit when your freezer's full, feed all the friends and family, drop 'em off at the homeless shelters?

While one of your 200# monsters would feed me for a LONG time, the truth is, I LOVE sneaking up on and shooting them. Just wondering how the similarly afflicted handle it.
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Ohio allows you up to 6 deer total per season, with 1 buck allowed per season. However, you only get 2, 3, or 4 deer per county depending on the specific county you are hunting.

I hunt 3 counties regularly, all of which are 2-deer counties. That means I would have to hit my county limit in all 3 to reach the state max, but I have no need to do that given that I also hunt out if state and usually bag a few on the road. In Ohio proper, Inhave taken 3 deer each of the last two seasons, tagging out in at least one county each time.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    In Oklahoma I get tag a total of seven. Two bucks and four does during regular bow, muzzle loader, or gun season and one doe during the Holiday Antlerless Season in December.
    Bow season opens 10/1 and runs until 1/15, any deer tagged after the first of the year count towards the previous years limit.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,739 Senior Member
    5 Whitetail (max of 2 bucks)
    2 Turkeys
    2 Muley
    All the hogs you can shoot. And then some.

When I cull for ranches, I am only limited by how many they want me to shoot as I use their MLD (Managed Land Deer) Tags issued to them by the state. So, I shoot whatever they want or allow me. Above and beyond my own 5 Whitetail tags.

I fill the chest freezer, then give the rest away to whoever wants it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,175 Senior Member
    6 deer
    only 4 can be antlered----all 6 can be antlerless.

central and western areas limit antlered to 2