Home Main Category Hunting

Cleaning up the gene pool.

Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior MemberPosts: 6,083 Senior Member
Today is rifle season opener in OK. I have had a GOOD day so far, I got another scrub out of the herd.

9F22E28E-F9E3-4E96-BBE6-6B72683777BC_zpsbb5z3yod.jpg

This nasty little creature was my first handgun AND first hand load kill.

My cousin and I have the place to ourselves and we each have a favorite stand. My stand is a home made 12' ladder stand in a cedar tree looking east over a busted pond that is a favorite bedroom. I got in my stand about 20 minutes before legal light with my Type 53 bubba Scout and Blackhawk.

I heard one distant shot about 30 seconds after legal light. Fairly quite morning so far. About ten minutes into light I look over my right shoulder and see a deer in the wheat a couple hundred yards away. This is about my five o'clock and j can't find the reticle with my left eye (I will work on this with the Scout scope) so I don't worry much about it.

I check on the deer every couple of minutes and it is slowly meandering my way. All the while behind me on my right. When it got within a hundred yards I could see small head gear so I was to let it walk. About this time I realized the deer was going to come parallel to my own path about 40 yards apart. The wind was very light out of the north.

When he finally comes even with me at maybe 15 yards I noticed the one side spike, we have killed at least four of his brothers. Now I am trying to unsnap my holster knowing this little buck is going to wind me any second. I was able to draw my pistol behind the cover of a big branch and it feels like ages as I am trying to get my gun hand over the branch and pointed at him.

When I get the gun up he looks right at me and I can't find the dot. After the longest two seconds ever I get the dot on his chest and bang. He humps up and makes two jumps I am trying to get the gun back on him but I have to bring my arm back over the branch and around the front. In this time my little scrub has went 14 yards and laid down. That was all. I was honestly stunned.

21BE9738-BD36-482E-9ED9-4AC27EAE44DD_zpswbwu5d0i.jpg

He was standing right on top of that little rise left of the cedar.

1CBAE77F-A4C0-4C47-B8EF-F27C38A8ADFF_zpsidbmg9ir.jpg

There is a dark spot straight left of the big hedge tree, that is where he fell.

6ECA09DD-A28E-4963-88D9-2DE6B5B997DF_zpse7a7pi1o.jpg

The farthest pink dot is about where I spotted him and the line is his path more or less. Just out of frame left of the cedar tree is where I shot him.

The time frame was maybe 15 minutes it just felt longer.
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I took a few extra minutes for science. Blood is kind of a bitch to get off an iPhone case.

6A6BAECA-769B-48F7-9FBB-17228C55E5F1_zps1yj5y1zf.jpg

Tip of the knife is the entry wound. He was quartering slightly away from me with his nose to my left.

932B408D-AD2C-42C1-AC57-17B8DC9DADCF_zpscek39hkb.jpg

Through a rib.

37018831-9BC2-4B33-BC85-2FDB1D9311CC_zps4rs9oiih.jpg

Into the top of the heart. The bullet had to have passed through the onside lung to get there but I field dressed him about 50 yards from where he fell so no water to wash blood off for better pictures.

F410918C-F161-4004-B8F3-00BA18A866DE_zpskcj8ho8r.jpg

Out of the heart and through the other lung between two ribs and into the back side of the shoulder. The bullet did not exit the shoulder, I will get more pictures when I dismantle the deer.

The gun is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a Burris Fastfire II. The bullet was a Sierra 158gr JSP over 2400 in a Starline case. I can't remember the powder charge and didn't chronograph the loads yet.

Distance was 32 yards taken one handed with my arm holding down the cedar branch so I could see.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Congrats! Very nice! And a great post!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »
    Congrats! Very nice! And a great post!

Thank you, ow if you will excuse me I should pay attention because I back in a stand hoping to fill a doe tag.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,175 Senior Member
    Great hunt great shooting
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,739 Senior Member
    Wow! That's awesome!!!!! Your first in many areas. Most excellent shooting!!!

Nice write up. Thanks for taking time to science.

The .357 Mag seems to be kicking but this season. I need to get my GP-100 bloody.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Good job on everything.

I've got a Blackhawk just like that one and some 158 gr semi-jackets over a max load of 2400. Maybe I should take note of this and put my Burris Fast Fire on it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,320 Senior Member
    AWESOME
    Thanks for sharing your experience
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee wrote: »
    Wow! That's awesome!!!!! Your first in many areas. Most excellent shooting!!!

Nice write up. Thanks for taking time to science.

The .357 Mag seems to be kicking but this season. I need to get my GP-100 bloody.

I should be thanking you. You and a few others have helped me to up my game and reexamine what I "knew".
    Dad 5-31-13
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Nice buck. And nicely done with a pistol. You boys keep reinforcing my desire to hunt with one.
    bisley wrote: »
    Good job on everything.

I've got a Blackhawk just like that one and some 158 gr semi-jackets over a max load of 2400. Maybe I should take note of this and put my Burris Fast Fire on it.
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Nice buck. And nicely done with a pistol. You boys keep reinforcing my desire to hunt with one.

Bisley yes you need to put your Fastfire on that Blackhawk and rock out. You will have to open the slot in the Weaver mount just a touch but it is worth it. You are the reason I have a Fastfire, I bought it for my Stoger barrel you talked me into buying.

Rocketman, the pistol was not my primary weapon but the opportunity was there. Three years ago I had a beautiful opportunity to shoot a doe with this same pistol, except my pistol was in the pickup. This board helped me find a way to carry a pistol secured outside my bibs and I finally got the chance.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Bisley yes you need to put your Fastfire on that Blackhawk and rock out. You will have to open the slot in the Weaver mount just a touch but it is worth it. You are the reason I have a Fastfire, I bought it for my Stoger barrel you talked me into buying.

My Fast-Fire is still mounted on that 20" and I used it on one dove hunt. It worked great, but I think I really prefer just looking down the barrel at a bead, so I may try it on a handgun, eventually.
    cpj wrote: »
    CVA muzzle loading pistol first.

You Jedi mind tricks won't work on me.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Thats fine shooting!

I load 158gr lswc's over 14.5 grs of 2400 for my heavy GP100 loads. The Sierra hp are likely a better deer bullet. I hope to replace 2400 with H110 as 2400 has pulled a recent Houdini.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    I'll have it at Jerrys this year. Again. With the scope.

I am strong, I have will power.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,570 Senior Member
    Great post, fine shot, and excellent Zee-type autopsy photos!!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Very nice job. You did everyone a favor by culling that buck and did really well scoring with a handgun.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Looks great! Thanx for sharing!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    There was more science happening this evening as I broke my deer down.

First, I was wrong. The bullet did exit, I had complete penetration. I just couldn't find the hole, too much hair around it.

Second, this deer had been beat up. He was limping a little and the pictures show more bruising than my bullet made.

0DD9E5DE-2141-4251-94C6-CA2095D72897_zps7i4w7lts.jpg
    Bullet exited rib cage through this hole.

FED9774B-5903-4D1D-AB69-AF3D6FEE8B35_zpsrsrszphb.jpg
    Inside of shoulder. There was a good bit more damage than I expected. I am IMPRESSED.

1A2DEB94-D9B0-4FA8-BF54-0CF826962A3A_zpsg6vq0vjp.jpg
    Outside of shoulder. I really thought I was going to find the bullet right here. The bullet did not hit the shoulder blade, it did however JUST graze the leg bone causing a closed fracture.

0BB3D3BD-EA9A-42D7-B1AE-1E51797D6451_zpsc2lutp6v.jpg
    This tiny crescent was all the bullet I found. It was JUST inside the muscle on the shoulder. Grazing the leg bone must have have scraped it off.

9789BD13-D4D3-48A2-A97D-108A4174C5F8_zpshitzc3fy.jpg
    The outside of the shoulder. The large bruise to the left is not from me. Pretty sure Tiny tried to horn in on someone's turf.

8CBF90CE-6E92-420A-B858-D7A331F54C48_zps7q4vxtx1.jpg
    Bullet exited here.
    Dad 5-31-13
    You know, you're thread title had me worried.
    But, you're still posting. Maybe you failed?

Yeah yeah hillbilly. Come on down here, I will show you how clean our gene pool is.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Yeah yeah hillbilly. Come on down here, I will show you how clean our gene pool is.

Have you seen CPJ's face? There ain't many branches on that tree and the leaves fell a LONG time ago.
    Looks like the bullet did a pretty fine job. Even at 30 yrds from a short barrel.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,951 Senior Member
    You know, you're thread title had me worried.
    But, you're still posting. Maybe you failed?
    He done got one of them voosectomeys...
    I'm just here for snark.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Nice shooting! Great field report. Thanks for sharing.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Zee wrote: »
    Looks like the bullet did a pretty fine job. Even at 30 yrds from a short barrel.

I am very pleased with bullet performance, which is good because I have a bunch of them.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Well done!
    I might have to take my 357 Bisley out this year.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Well done!
    I might have to take my 357 Bisley out this year.

Do it!!!!

So I can hate you even more.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,285 Senior Member
    Adding some clorine to the gene pool is always a good thing.
    Nice shot.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: