Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

53 years ago.

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    6th grade recess, playing what passed for soccer - a dusty free-for-all with about 50 kids balled up in a knot, kicking in the general direction of one ball.
    We called that "Jungle Ball", and it was a lot of fun! About the only sport I was any good at whatsoever.

But back to topic, I was just a tad over 3, so don't remember. I do have a vague remembrance of Bobby's assassination though. My wife is 2-1/2 years older than I am, she remembers her mother crying - and they were a Republican household!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I was in the first grade and the part that I remember most was that all that was on TV (on our three channels) was coverage of the shooting and the funeral. There were no cartoons on for over a week. We hadn't had a TV for very long and my brother and I had just discovered cartoons.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    In class in New Orleans.
    Grumpy old gearhead
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I was in 5th grade, and on the playground playing baseball with classmates. Teacher called us all in early to tell us. They brought out the TV sets and we watched the news until it was time to go home.

Got home and my Dad gave me my Christmas present early. A Remington 878 semiauto shotgun with a Cutts Compensator on it, and 3 choke tubes. Quail season had just opened. We hunted that weekend.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    I was stationed at Eglin AFB on drag chute detail at the end of the runway when 10 SAC B-52's suddenly launched
    in a big hurry. I thought it was just another ORI, then the line truck "blue bread truck" arrived and told us to report
    to the hanger for Commander's call and were told the news. It was the first time I witnessed a B-52 scramble launch. B-52 engines are susceptible to compressor stalls, it's normal for the J-57, the B-52's were so close on the runway they were ingesting the exhaust of the one in front causing multiple compressor stalls with a loud boom,it was quite a sight,
    each aircraft had a houndog nuclear missile under each wing.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    I was stationed at Eglin AFB on drag chute detail at the end of the runway when 10 SAC B-52's suddenly launched
    in a big hurry. I thought it was just another ORI, then the line truck "blue bread truck" arrived and told us to report
    to the hanger for Commander's call and were told the news. It was the first time I witnessed a B-52 scramble launch. B-52 engines are susceptible to compressor stalls, it's normal for the J-57, the B-52's were so close on the runway they were ingesting the exhaust of the one in front causing multiple compressor stalls with a loud boom,it was quite a sight,
    each aircraft had a houndog nuclear missile under each wing.

A friend at work showed me a video of a $60,000.00 working scale model of a B52 taking off from a runway. Coolest thing Ive ever seen.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I have sat in a vehicle near the end of the runway and watched B-52's launching, head-on. It was very impressive, watching the wings begin to fly long before the fuselage is lifted off the ground, and smoke-lots of smoke. As a kid, it seemed like watching a spaceship take off.