Home Main Category Clubhouse

I think i'm getting old, my rant

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,993 Senior Member
So I'm driving slowly down this swamp road looking for snakes when I hear this clicking coming from the front end, first thought a wheel bearing is going out, so I head for home, get on a good road and no more noise unless I hit a bump. Anyhow I get home jack the truck up pull off the wheels and start spinning the hubs , smooth as silk, start looking around and the link rod holding the stabilizer bar to the axle is broke at the ball joint, call NAPA they got one in stock, start removing the broke one, the end in the axle doesn't want to come out, try heat, big fin hammer and brass punch, more heat, PB Blaster, freeze spray, bigger hammer, it aint moving, back to the drawing board, not a lot of room so I make up a guide to screw on the threads, bore out the back to take a 1/4" center drill and using a angle drill get a hole started and its dead center, drill it about 1" deep with a 1/4" than 5/16, and a 7/16", stick a 3/8 punch and 3 good hits and its out, put the new one in , while I'm under there give it a good grease job including the F & R drive shafts, all told 4 1/2 hours to do a job that a few years ago would have been done in less than 2 hours.

I'm getting to old for this crap.

OK got it out of my system , didn't kick the dogs, yell at the wife, life is still good.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    If you were part of today's generation, you would have ignored the noise and driven until there was a catastrophic failure and then left the vehicle in the road and started texting your friends.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,449 Senior Member
    I am jealous you have the time and the knowledge to do it yourself:worthy:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    So I'm driving slowly down this swamp road.........

JAY

What's a swamp road? :jester:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    Those dog bone styled sway links are the devil himself sometimes. :angry:

Four hours isn't a good time for a mechanic, but for somebody who is not experienced working on vehicles and who is, shall we say, 'experienced' at life, it's not a horrible time either...The fact you did it yourself puts you in front of eighty percent of the population, no matter the time involved.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »

Four hours isn't a good time for a mechanic, but for somebody who is not experienced working on vehicles and who is, shall we say, 'experienced' at life, it's not a horrible time either...The fact you did it yourself puts you in front of eighty percent of the population, no matter the time involved.

Make that 99.9% , and FWIW at your maturity make that 99.999%. Yes I am saying that less than one person in 100,000 over the age of 79 would do what you just accomplished.

Kudo's and compliments to your expertise!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    When it comes to blood, sweat and tears, I'm at the age where I hire people to do the bleeding, sweating and crying! I still do my own cussing!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Heck, I am younger, but not lazy, but lack the knowledge.
    I luckily have an honest mechanic for car stuff that isnt under warranty anymore. Kudos to you all around
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,863 Senior Member
    As a young man always owning old cars I found myself doing the majority of repairs I was capable of doing with a Chiltons manual and enough tools. Now that I am older, I don't have a good enough back or knees to lie on the ground, getting up and down multiple times for tools or whatever, so I buy new every 7 or 8 years and once the extended warranty expires and the vehicle starts having expensive mechanical problems, I start over again.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Drive 'em til the wheels fall off and then start patching! 100K miles is just a good break-in! People who trade cars every few years can keep on taking the hit in value, and I'll be glad to reap the benefit of their generosity! Going into debt for something that steadily decreases in value is a really stupid idea, so I'll pay cash for my vehicles whenever possible and drive them until patching just isn't an option any more.
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Drive 'em til the wheels fall off and then start patching! 100K miles is just a good break-in! People who trade cars every few years can keep on taking the hit in value, and I'll be glad to reap the benefit of their generosity! Going into debt for something that steadily decreases in value is a really stupid idea, so I'll pay cash for my vehicles whenever possible and drive them until patching just isn't an option any more.
    Jerry

There's still plenty of room up the hill!!:jester:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Being that I have more time than money, I always try to fix everything by myself. It comes easier when you look at it as how many guns you could have bought with the money saved. That truck repair would have easily been two guns.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    There's still plenty of room up the hill!!:jester:

That's the gun fund- - - - -wait until scrap prices top out!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    That's the gun fund- - - - -wait until scrap prices top out!
    Jerry

Yeah. If the steel scrap prices climb back up to their high a few years ago, then you and I can buy a few spiffy guns with the proceeds! I got LOTS of scrap metal here on the farm, too. Funny how that stuff accumulates over 40+ years.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    What knocked the bottom out of the scrap market was the "cash for clunkers" program. Suddenly the market was flooded with relatively low mileage cars with purposely locked-up engines. Drain the oil, drain the water, and run 'em wide open until they seize up! Some of the dealers I used to visit had dozens of trade-ins they were forbidden to sell in running shape!
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,993 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    What's a swamp road? :jester:

Usually its a very wet muddy trail, sometimes its 4WD and parts are under water that goes thru a wetland area generally called a "swamp" :rotflmao:

JAY
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    If you were part of today's generation, you would have ignored the noise and driven until there was a catastrophic failure and then left the vehicle in the road and started texting your friends.
    #2 son's stepson did just that when the car started running a little hot.
    coolgunguy wrote: »

I have been wrenching on cars, trucks, boats, scooters, airplanes, etc since the 50s. My primary job since 1957 has been a A&P aircraft mechanic and welder, but I have always had a welding/machine/fabrication/gunsmithing shop on the side.

JAY
    cpj wrote: »
    My question is...why for you looking for snakes?

I have always had a thing for snakes, raised them, milked them and still have one in the house.

JAY
    Jerry

:agree: :that:

I agree with Jerry 110% except I almost always buy one new, get the factory shop manual, this truck started out life as a stock 98 Dodge 1500 4WD, 360 engine, AT, first thing I did was put a Warn 8000 lb. winch on , than changed the axles from 3:53 to 4:11 added posi to both axles, 4" lift and 2"body lift, it now has 199,600 miles on it, uses 1/2qt. oil between changes , I will keep driving it until its just not worth fixing anymore.

FWIW my last Dodge truck I sold had over 273,000mi when the spedo broke, doors were rusted out, but the engine and drive train were still fine.

JAY
    cpj wrote: »
    So it's not just a crazy old man thing. You've been crazy for awhile now. :tooth:

Yes, all my life but its kept me from going insane.

JAY
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I have been wrenching on cars, trucks, boats, scooters, airplanes, etc since the 50s. My primary job since 1957 has been a A&P aircraft mechanic and welder, but I have always had a welding/machine/fabrication/gunsmithing shop on the side.

JAY

Even so, I'll still say that not having a hoist, not using air tools (guessing) AND being on the long side of experienced...four hours ain't too bad.

I'm sure book time is less than half that for your model, but you aren't in a repair shop, so book time means nothing. You can judge your time as you see fit, but I still say you done good. Hell, I've worked with clowns who were supposed to be mechanics who couldn't do a lot better, even with all the advantages a proper shop offers.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    JAY, you're what....3 months older than I? We're not crazy old men by a long shot! Naturally I've been concerned about getting senile in old age. That's a natural evolution I think. But I've thought about it quite a bit lately, and I honestly think that if anything my brain is becoming more analytical and deep thinking. I KNOW it is! The Mayo Clinic is interested in this also.....I'm on a long-term research project there on mental ageing. My great grandmother whom I was very close with lived to be 105, and her brain was as sharp as a tack up 'till about 3 months before she died. You hang tight and continue to catch those snakes.....just be a little cautious with those that have fangs!
    Woods, maybe I'm wrong but I think we figured out a while back I'm 1 year and 3 months older than you, I was born in as the old timers used to say Oct. of 19 and 37, what say ya. I have to agree with you about our brains, I find that when building something and have to figure out a math problem, instead of using a calculator I figure it out long hand on paper and from years of working on aircraft, or anything else I never use fractions I.E. 3/8" has always been .375 etc.

As far as snakes go, I just missed a really big Indigo, just couldn't run fast enough to catch him, since I've been back in the swamps, I've caught dozens of Pigmy Rattlers, a few Cottonmouths, and 1 Coral Snake, still looking for that big Diamondback , usually I just open there mouths expose the fangs with a stick , take a pic and release them.

JAY
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Yep, you'ns is right! It's a YEAR and three months! Dec. of 19 and 38!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    #2 son's stepson did just that when the car started running a little hot.

Yea, so did my daughter. Failed water pump. Kept pouring water into it. On the nite she got her license! I had to go out the next AM and collect the remains, pull the head, get it milled, put it back on with a new cam shaft while I was at it as the old one was a bit on the flat side. That car ran like a striped ape afterwards!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jay you and Woods are doing pretty darn good fer your years. Y'all do more than others 20-30 years younger!

I wasn't born until the year of our Lord in Sept of 19 and 53. So I'm a younger old fart :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!